Help with 9Mm conversion barrels

Im looking to purchase one of the conversion barrels to put in my Glock 23 to allow me to shoot 9mm ammo for practice. I have researched this and am wondering if any of you have any recommendations or have heard which of the manufacturers make the best conversion barrel. Lone Wolf, KKM, Storm Lake, or if there are some Ive left out can someone recommend one? I just want to do alot of practice shooting and it's cheaper and easier to find 9mm ammo than to shoot 40. I still practice with 40 but not as often. Just want an option for less expensive ammo.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a Storm Lake barrel for my Glock 22 (Gen 4). Was a perfect drop-in fit, no gunsmithing required. I bought a couple of G17 magazines to go with it. So far it has shot 9mm flawlessly from the gun, nothing else required beside the barrel and the magazines.

I got it from www.midwayusa.com last fall when they were having a sale of some kind so it wasn't too expensive. The main reason I bought the Storm Lake over the Lone Wolf is that I didn't really care for the black Lone Wolf logo on the top of the chamber. The storm lake logo is just lightly engraved into the side of the chamber, so it's all silver in color and more discreet.

No, I didn't do anything to the gun other than drop in the barrel and use Glock 17 magazines. It fires and ejects fine as far as I can tell.

I have read various Internet posts that say I should change out ejector and extractor but I did not need to do that on the G 22 for it to work.

Guest gw2and4

I've had a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel for over a year and used it quite a bit until I bought my 34 for IDPA. About 500 rounds through it without changing anything but the barrel and using 9mm mags, and had no issues. Assuming you want this for range use only, I think you'll be fine.

yeah, its ONLY for range use. I am more comfortable with the 40 for my EDC and just want to get some range time in a little cheaper. While in the military I was able to shoot almost daily. Just want to keep my skills up. One question I have is I see where they keep saying that the lock up area is tighter than the original barrel to improve shot to shot accuracy. Im wondering if this will eventually lead to my original 40 barrel becoming a little loose in that area. Any ideas? Thanks for all your help and input.

Edited by BlackHawk93
Guest gw2and4
One question I have is I see where they keep saying that the lock up area is tighter than the original barrel to improve shot to shot accuracy. Im wondering if this will eventually lead to my original 40 barrel becoming a little loose in that area. Any ideas? Thanks for all your help and input.

I noticed the opposite with mine--that the lock-up on the LWD 40-9 conversion barrel was a hair looser than the OEM .40 barrel. Someone who knows more jump in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you'll have a problem with straight machined stainless steel wearing into the tenifer finish on the slide. And both stainless and tenifer will wear some on the locking block during cycles since it appears to be MIM and therefore not as hard as the barrel lug on either barrel. As far as accuracy--I didn't notice that it suffered any as a result of the slightly sloppier lockup.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if I were looking to stand in a static range lane and shoot groups smaller than 3" at 7 yards--I'd probably be choosing a platform other than a Glock with a conversion barrel in it. I guess I just always accepted the Glock as "accurate enough for real life" and didn't chase anything beyond that. For me, it seems every gun I shoot is more accurate than I am and I accepted living with that until someone sponsors me to get better an pays for my practice ammo and range time. (and I ain't holding my breath on that!) :hiding:

I also have a Storm Lake .40 replacement barrel that I got for shooting reloads and lead bullets. If I plan to shoot a lot of .40 out of the 23 on any given day, I put in the Storm Lake. On that barrel, I noticed what seemed like slightly better accuracy. And by that, I mean that my 3" group tightened up to maybe 2.75"... Hard to say without putting the pistol in a rest and using a consistent and controlled scientific approach.

All that rambling aside, you're welcome to try out my LWD and Storm Lake barrels some time since you're in middle TN. I may even decide to sell my conversion barrel now that I have a model 34 all tweaked for IDPA SSP... PM me if you're interested and maybe we can work something out for a meet at CHMR. I'm out there at least a couple times a month.

Best of luck in your conversion barrel endeavors.

Sent from my iPhone 4