How to Buy Online

Guest raflomo

Guest raflomo

How do you buy online?I guess what I am trying to say is,what is the steps to take?Do you call the ffl to do the transfer and let them know first that you are buying a gun online or do you go on and bid/buy like on gunbroker and then set it up?Just wondering about this cause I may eventually buy online and need to be educated.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Michael.G

I know through buds , when you are in the process of checking out there will be a list of local gun stores in your area. Pick one that it will be shipped to,(a preferred one would be best), and pay a transfer fee+ back ground check. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Online dealers will have a list of FFLs that they have done business with in the past. If you see your local dealer of choice listed, then you're good to go. Instruct the seller to send it there, then call your dealer to let them know it's coming. they'll call you when it's in and they have done their paperwork to make it ready for you to pick it up.

If the seller doesn't have your local dealer of choice on file, it's no problem, just one extra step. You'll tell the seller the name and address of your dealer and get the seller's fax number. Then you call your local dealer and let them know it's coming and ask them to send their information to the seller via the seller's fax number.

Some dealers won't take FFLs from certain online sellers (like Bud's).

Guest raflomo

Cool ...thats what I needed to know...also I have noticed that some places say 'transfer fee + taxes' .Do you have to pay TN tax on the gun or taxes on the transfer fees?Sorry to be bothersome but I am new to all of this.

Guest gladman

I've had good experience with Gunbroker.com and Wholesalehunter.com. Check with local FFLs to see if they will accept transfers and what they charge. Most charge around $20, but the price varies. For example, there are a couple of FFLs in the Nashville area that chaarge members of TGO only $10 for a transfer. Other places charge $30.

Let the FFL know the gun is coming and from whom before you buy. For example, Gunbroker has sellers from all over and many are FFLs, (whch is usually no problem). Some sellers on gunbroker are individuals, and you need to check with your FFL to make sure they are o.k. with receiving a gun from an out of state individual who is not an FFL (if that is who your seller is). You can usually tell on Gunbroker in the description that the seller is a business or not, but if you can't tell, email them to clarify that before you bid. If your FFL is not o.k. with an individual seller, you may have to make arrangements with the seller to ship through a FFL, which will usually add to the cost.

Cool ...thats what I needed to know...also I have noticed that some places say 'transfer fee + taxes' .Do you have to pay TN tax on the gun or taxes on the transfer fees?Sorry to be bothersome but I am new to all of this.

Gladman hit it rather well with his info about Gunbroker.

As for taxes if it comes from out of state (most times) you should not be charged taxes by your local FFL. If the FFL you pick charges sales tax I would find another.

There is tax on either the FFL fee or the TICS, but can't recall which. I just know a $10 TICS + $10 transfer = $20.97. The dealer on your end should NOT be collecting sales tax. They did not make the sale and should not be collecting sales tax. If the seller is a dealer in TN or has a presence in TN (Bought it online at Academy for example), they MUST collect the sales tax, but that would be part of what you pay to the seller, not the FFL handling the recept of the firearm for you. If the sale is between private parties, the seller has no obligation to collect sales tax from you.

+1 to the TGO vendors that offer $10 transfers.

Edited by monkeylizard

Pretty easy. I just bought a Sig P250 2sum in 9mm from a dealer in MO. I had a dealer here in Lebanon fax his license to the dealer in MO. Paid the dealer in MO for the gun and now waiting for it to get to my dealer. He's charging $15 total to receive the gun. Not too bad.