92fs grip help

Guest mosinon

Guest Lester Weevils

I would generally think that hex-head screws actually have a better appearance than slotted screws, though it is a matter of taste.

One visual advantage of the hex screws is for overly-picky obsessive compulsive people. One wouldn't always be able to crank down slotted screws so that both grip screws on a side have exactly the same orientation (both screws pointing exactly at 2 o'clock or whatever). An OCD individual might get bugged if one slotted screw points 2 o'clock and the other one points 4 o'clock or whatever.

Strangely on my italian inoxes, the slotted screws actually do point exactly the same direction when tightened down on the factory grips. Somebody at Beretta must have designed dimensions for that to be the case. But it seems unlikely that any random third-party grip would follow the same rule. Not that it would make a difference except to an OCD type of person. :cool:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mosinon
I would generally think that hex-head screws actually have a better appearance than slotted screws, though it is a matter of taste.

One visual advantage of the hex screws is for overly-picky obsessive compulsive people. One wouldn't always be able to crank down slotted screws so that both grip screws on a side have exactly the same orientation (both screws pointing exactly at 2 o'clock or whatever). An OCD individual might get bugged if one slotted screw points 2 o'clock and the other one points 4 o'clock or whatever.

Strangely on my italian inoxes, the slotted screws actually do point exactly the same direction when tightened down on the factory grips. Somebody at Beretta must have designed dimensions for that to be the case. But it seems unlikely that any random third-party grip would follow the same rule. Not that it would make a difference except to an OCD type of person. :cool:

You're right! I noticed that when looking at the pics. The uppermost grip screw is perfectly aligned with the line in the grips and the bottom most screw seems exactly parallel.

You can say it only appeals to the OCD types but to me that is a sign of attention to detail, I mean we both noticed it, right? Sure, it doesn't do diddly for function but there is a reason beretta has been around for 500 years. I'd say the hex screws on the US grips are the same thing. Rounded out on top so you don't see the edges probably looks better when you are obsessing over this stuff. Sure, it seems crazy. On the other hand when I trade my dough for something I want the product to be obsessed over. Well, maybe not ramen noodles or extension cords but when something is going to hundreds of dollars...

Guest Lester Weevils

Hi Mosinon

I don't know much about anything but the company does seem to pay attention to the details. The insides look as clean as the outsides, and it seems hardly accidental that the grip screws just happen to point exactly the same direction.

There are numerous ways objects can be beautiful, but the retro-future industrial design of the 92 is really nice. There are some other products that seem to fit that vibe equally well.

92FS_Inox.jpg

swat_knife.jpg

1.jpg

The 92 seems in the same industrial design space with a S&W Swat knife or Shure SM-59 mic.

I have 3 Berettas all have metric hex
I was surprised that it wasn't metric but 5/64 fit perfectly. Made in USA model if that makes a difference

There is only 6 ten thousandths (.0006) of an inch difference in a 2mm and a 5/64. So either would probably work.

Guest mosinon
There is only 6 ten thousandths (.0006) of an inch difference in a 2mm and a 5/64. So either would probably work.

color me impressed. That analysis seems right on. I couldn't tell the difference if you paid me!

• 1 month later...
Guest Gutshot55

Great project. Mee too! BUT, take a look at the "backs" of the grips. NOT just simple flat backs, my gosh, there is just about every different surface that a machine shop works on, 45 degree back plate, clearance for the trigger mech, clearance for the stop block on the slide, ...eeeeuuuwww! Good thing I have a machine shop!

I bought some very exotic wood slabs and just can't afford a mistake in them, (75.00) so have made a couple "sample" copys out of cheaper wood to see if I could do it, so far good, I'll try to post pix. Only have got LEFT side done so far, TIME CONSUMING (well cuz I'm scared of screwing up the slabs). Actually, haven't finished drilling the holes yet, but that's the last part on it. NEXT, the RIGHT side.

Having said all that, think about this. AFTER I get done, its going to be beautiful, BUT, what happens EVERY time you sit the gun down? IT SITS ON THE HANDLES! (scratches, dings, etc...) Ugghhh, never thought about that. Course, I COULD just NEVER sit it down, but...hahaaa. I'll try to upload the pix....Well, tried, but will have to learn how to do that. too bad, it's a treat to see. Will try again later...