New scope and gratuitous plug

Rightwinger

Finally got my new scope on my big bore AR in .458 Socom. Anyone interested in big bores for the AR platform should check out the .458.

You can get them from Rock River or the developer of the round, Marty Ter Weeme. (Be prepared to wait for the customs from Marty, at least a year at last count but worth the wait).

Scope is a 1x to 4x Vector Optics with illuminated red or green reticles.

This puppy puts 300 to 405 grain projectiles down range in the 1200 to 2000 FPS range. You can go with the bigger 500 and 600 grain projectiles in sub sonic and use cans to lower the sound....

I'm looking for someone else in the area to join me in the big bore ARs.

IMG_3192.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg

IMG_3196.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, funny you should ask....

That's a new scope as the Burris 3-9x I HAD on it broke a couple of Sunday's ago. I was working up some reloads and on the third shot the view through the scope went blurry. After clearing the weapon and starting to determine what happend my brother and I heard something rattling. It was the 2nd lens from the rear which was now rolling about in the scope tube. That scope is now in Colorado being evaluated by Burris for repair. We shall see how well they back their warranty.

I would say it rocks a little above my 30-06 and a little below my .340 Weatherby mag. If you shoot about 10 times, it will leave a mark/bruise in the outline of the rubber butt pad of the ACE stock!:)

This was the rifle in its previous state.

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

Hey rightwinger,

Did you consider or look at the Bushmaster 450 or the 50 Beowolf (sp) before you got the 458? Does the 458 have advantages over the others or was it personal preference.

Thanks.

Bill, Jr

The 50 Beo is designed on a pistol cartridge and a straight walled case. It won't allow quite the pressure that the SOCOM will. The .450 Bushy came out after I was already in the line with Rock River for the upper. Rock River had issues getting all the parts and quality control checks done for production and it went long. After waiting 9 months I dropped my order with RRA and went direct to the developer of the round and had a custom upper made with a Pacnor barrel. All of the above have their points. The 50 Beo is available off the shelve in numerous locations. The Bushy seems interesting but is limited so far in bullet selection. You don't want to use pistol rated bullets in an AR gas system. It says it has ranges out to 200 yards, right there with the 458. The .458 can use bullets ranging from a new 86 grain aluminum bullet from Lehigh up to a 600 grain solid in subsonic. I prefer the 300 grain JHPs and the .405 grain soft points. Depending on how close to the envelope you go, you can push them out to 2000 feet per/sec. Avg speed on the 300's is around 1750 with no pressure signs. Mine sighted in the first time (with previously mentioned broken Burris) at 100 yards with NO ADJUSTMENTs needed. Used a Wilson Combat low pro AR mount, it aligned perfectly with the rifle! Its just fun to shoot those big bullets out of an AR.