storage for pistols

I am sure this aux been talked about but Herr we go again. I just bought a ruger sr40. I am wondering what the best practice is for storage. I have 2 clips, I have heard that unless you shoot often you should not completely load up your clip because it puts to much pressure on the spring in the clip. If true, how long should I unload a clip and switch between the other clip?

I know the easier answersis to head to the range but how long should I leave a clip loaded

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Springs are cheap if they do wear out. I have some MKII mags that have been loaded since the 1980's ready to dispatch squirrels and they are no worse for wear.

The general rule for the elasticity of springs is that if they were going to become weak due to bending beyond a point that will permanently weaken them....they would do it upon the very first time the magazine is loaded.

They do eventually wear out, but it takes a lot of use that occurs mostly from hardening related to compression and rebound.

As Pie said, loading/unloading is what will eventually weaken a mag spring although it takes a LOT of cycles. Keeping them loaded to capacity will have no ill effect.

Same goes for the slide spring. Contrary to what some may tell you, locking the slide back for extended periods will not make it easier to rack.

Edited by Red5
I can't spell.
Guest Lester Weevils

I've never ruined a mag spring leaving mags loaded, but do not have vast experience.

Regarding recoil springs, storing locked back might not do any damage. Dunno one way or the other though I don't store pistols locked back.

I had one case where storing locked back seemed to do a benefit. Got a Taurus 9mm 1911 which worked great out of the box but it wouldn't lock back on last round with the factory mags. I think it was just a little too stiff for the slide to go back far enough because it would always lock back if you manually pull back the slide on an empty mag.

Anyway, I "broke it in" with several range trips and it was still not locking back. So I stored it for a week locked back, and ever since that week of locked-back storage it has locked back on last round every time.

Unless it was a vanishingly rare mere coincidence that the gun went from never locking back to always locking back the exact same time it was stored locked-back for a week, I'm guessing that storing it locked-back for a week actually did weaken the new spring just enough to allow the last-round lockback to work.

If storing for a week can slightly weaken the recoil spring, then perhaps storing locked-back for a year could in some cases make it too weak? Depending on the quality of the part? Or maybe not. Am very ignorant, just reporting the experience for what it is worth.

I will say this, Flat springs are not always the same as coil springs. I ruined two different trigger/sear flat spring thingys for a mosin nagant because I would store them with the "hammer down". That put tension on the flat spring and it took a set in just a few short weeks.

I suppose for fair argument, those springs were made in crappy rusky factories before my parents were born. Metallurgy has come a looooong way since.