• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HvyMtl

Can you show us pictures of its present condition?

Note: It the Shellac is globbed in one place and missing on the other, a simple wipe with rubbing alcohol should let you move some of it. (So I have heard. I have never tried.) Thought it sounds like your stock needs a heckova lot more to get pretty.

As for mine, I am keeping the old war horses as they came to me. I'll clean them and keep them well, but no modifying for me.

Metal is off...except for the sling slots...in the morning it's oven cleaner...two times...rinse...dry...sand with 600...wet...sand...wet...sand. Stain...nitric acid with steelwool. vinegar...HOT boiled linseed oil...beeswax.. reassemble...shoot I may try to fake a tigerstripe on the stock...maybe...depends on the wood.

Edited by bajabuc
felt like it
Metal is off...except for the sling slots...in the morning it's oven cleaner...two times...rinse...dry...sand with 600...wet...sand...wet...sand. Stain...nitric acid with steelwool. vinegar...HOT boiled linseed oil...beeswax.. reassemble...shoot I may try to fake a tigerstripe on the stock...maybe...depends on the wood.

Make sure you do some "after" pics for us to see. :)

I've had great luck with Acetone and a rag on the stock (over and over) until clean. Once you are certain it's all removed, lightly sand with 200. Wipe w/ Isopropyl Alcohol and I finished in stain polyurethane. Before I put back together I used a Birchwood blue kit and re-did parts of the barrel.

I re-did the two on the right.

DSCN6250.JPG

it's on it's second coat od linseed oil...looks pretty good for a real mess when I found the sawdust and glue. I even managed to "save" a couple of stock cartouches. There's one I have to look up...Circle with a 1 over 27 in it.

This gun doesn't deem to fit in any of the niches. The serial numbers match...but the bolt has a Tula star...so does the stock and it's assorted metal...but the mag trigger guard numbers match the rest. The stock still has the top butt arch but the bottom is almost straight. Once I got off all the "artificial wood" that distinctive belly was gone. I didn't take it down to smooth because it's a battle rifle so there's a couple of dents I'd prefer to call holes. The color is redder than the shelac but it looks ok.

Cooked the linseed oil soaked stock over an oak fire...hmmm...I should have had a BBQ while I was at it. It got almost too hot to handle. When it's hot you have to rub it by hand, over and over, reheating it and rub some more. The Rit dye looks great. the volitile oils evaporate when you heat it but the rubbing "presses" the oil into the grain and leaves a hard oil finish It still looks like a battle rifle but it's close to shelac red and I bumped it pretty hard against the door and didn't mar the stain. Tomorrow I'll get the ball and chain to turn on the camera and post pics. Just remember it's a battle rifle.