45 ACP shotshells

Had a few old 12 ga. reloads that had cracked at the crimp so decided I would try putting some #8 shot instead of the walnut media in my bee loads. Used the same .5cc powder dipper of clays and the same over powder wad and then I put approximately 100 #8 lead shot in and put an overshot card in and then a dab of clear silicone to seal. Finally got to try them out today.Suprised at the outcome. Shot and killed a pidgeon at about 10 to 12 feet inside the old hay barn. Didn't know how they would pattern so shot a board on the wall and they were in about a 5 or 6 inch pattern at 10 feet. I believe these will be excellent snake charmer loads. Man these carpenter bees are wearing me out. Shot about 75 bee loads at the big hay barn this afternoon. Got to reload another 300 loads for them.Too much fun.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any body else getting ready for carpenter bee season? Stockpiling carpenter bee loads. Have about 600 loaded with walnut media, in 45 acp,45lc and 38 spl. Had made a set of dies for the 45acp shotshell loads from drawings I found on the internet last year and finally tried them out in my RIA 1911, impressive at 15 ft. Ran 2 mags in the 1911 worked really well.

Yes they cycle my RIA 1911 very well, and at 15 ft they pattern really good. I use a 410 ga wad so the rifling doesn't mess up the pattern. I also load them for my 1937 Brazilians  necking down a 308 LC brass nearly the whole length of the cylinder, using a full length 410 wad and 7 1/2 and 8 shot but I use an overshot card instead of crimping. A good up close vermin load. Will try to get my wife to get some pictures of them. The commerical brass is easier to work with but I only had 500 LC to use.

You won't build up as much pressure with shotshells, so overpressure isn't the issue, but you will just waste powder and space in the case. So you have to find a balance of velocity vs. # of pellets to make the most efficient loads. You can also tweak the size pellets, wads, and powders to perfect your own load. It is fun to experiment until you figure out a load that you like.

I am using imr 4756 right now. The loads won't be the same for shot vs. bullet weight because the wading and shot won't create as much compression as a bullet would. But it does give you somewhat of an idea on a starting load.

Edited by .357SIG
357SIG you're just down the road from me.Maybe we can get together and shoot sometime.I use a.5cc lee dipper of alliant 20/28 shotgun powder because I have a bunch left from reloading my 28 ga remington shells and because it is compressed with the 410 wad in the 308 necked down brass. If you use the LC brass you have to deburr inside really good for the 410 wad to start or you may cut the skirt and damage it. The commerical 308 brass will fit the 410 wad easier. I made a wad cutter and use plastic ice cream bucket lids for my overshot wads.