Knoxville - places to shoot outdoors???

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can shoot outdoors for free at Chuck Swan WMA, it is near Maynardville. 100 yard maximum. They have target stands and a couple of covered benches

Keep forgetting about that one, since never been there.

I need to go experience it.

- OS

The only places in and near Knoxville I know of are a small range on Rifle Range Road, the range out at the Oak Ridge Sportsman Association, an indoor range at Coal Creek Armory, an indoor range at Frontier Firearms, an indoor range at Gunny's in Maryville (if they are still in business), and the Norris range (I have not had the opportunity to go there yet). None of these are free to use.

There is a fellow trying to secure financing to open an indoor range in the I-75 exit 112 area, but that's down the line and pending whether he can prove to the bank that there would be suitable interest.

I can't speak to the range Chuck Swan.

you can shoot outdoors for free at Chuck Swan WMA, it is near Maynardville. 100 yard maximum. They have target stands and a couple of covered benches

Is there a map showing where this is?

how crowded does the chuck swan wma get on the weekends anyone know? Norris is nice during the week but forget about it on the weekends. Way to many ppl. Bubbling springs out in newport is a great place to go.

... Norris is nice during the week but forget about it on the weekends. Way to many ppl.

Sunday by 1:30 pm, there were three of us TGOers on rifle range, that was all. One other guy showed up by time the last of us left at 3.

- OS

no OS is wrong, the place is ALWAYS way over crowded on the weekends, I doubt I will ever go there again.

That's right, I forgot. So don't none of you other folks ever show up there on weekends, 'cause it's always crazy crowded and you won't be able to shoot anyway.

- OS

It all depends on where you live. Cities suck.

I'm in Morristown and it's over an hour from my home to any place to shoot. When I get a chance, the need is so great I just want to throw as much lead down range as possible in a short amount of time. That, unfortunately, doesn't lend itself to improving my technique or accuracy. But it sure feels good!