Dove Hunting

This post is WAYYYYY too early, I know, but I don't want to wait until too late this year. I have not dove hunted in a long time, but really love it, and want some feedback about where to go in Middle TN or even some folks I could meet up with and hunt with. I'd appreciate your comebacks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter and I hunt every year. We usually have to go to a WMA leased field. There will be a list on the TWRA website when dove season gets closer. I would love to find a great private hunt with lots of birds. My daughter hasn't had the pleasure to shoot her shoulder sore on a dove hunt yet.

I gave up on dove hunting in Tennessee several years ago (hunts way too crowded and unsafe, results too unpredictable, lousy job of planting fields by TWRA, private pay hunts charging and then putting non-paying friends/family members in the prime spots, etc.). I head out to Oklahoma every year and hunt 15 to 20 days in a row on a set of 12 to 17 fields that are hunted with days of rest between hunts with good numbers of birds every day and plenty of room for the hunters in the field. Also get the benefit of having some Whitewings to shoot. Have hunted doves for over 45 years and decided I was going in the US where they had some good hunts on successive days.

• 1 month later...

I have had good luck the last 4 to 5 years hunting the TWRA leased fields... yes they are crowded but i have never had a safety issue. I have killed my limit almost every year... I also get they about 6 in the morning to get a good spot and stay all day... other that it being a really long day... generally Ihave a great time.

Guest clownsdd
I gave up on dove hunting in Tennessee several years ago (hunts way too crowded and unsafe, results too unpredictable, lousy job of planting fields by TWRA, private pay hunts charging and then putting non-paying friends/family members in the prime spots, etc.). I head out to Oklahoma every year and hunt 15 to 20 days in a row on a set of 12 to 17 fields that are hunted with days of rest between hunts with good numbers of birds every day and plenty of room for the hunters in the field. Also get the benefit of having some Whitewings to shoot. Have hunted doves for over 45 years and decided I was going in the US where they had some good hunts on successive days.

And not everyone has the means to do so.

i have been lucky enough to be in south Texas on business 3 years in a row on opening day of dove season. Day leases are very reasonable and easy to find there(just pick up a sunday paper) wow what fun. but alas I don't have that client any longer and am back to my old haunts. but it sure was fun and I am thankful for the great times. I have benn on some pretty good shoots in the past at Percy Preist but haven't been there in a few years. May give that a whirl.