Any commercial drivers in here?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't even consider financing a truck (lease to own, whatever) from a company you drive for. One of the biggest scams in trucking. J.R. England and Prime are examples of the highest art of that ripoff.

Beyond that, know that the highest sought after driving jobs don't hire rookies, so you'll have to pay dues for a while with one of the ones that do. Most all of those promise much and fulfill less -- pretty much expect to give up idea of "home".

In my aborted start to go on the road again late in my work life (where I was basically a "rookie" again) , I was pretty favorably impressed with Star out of Nashville, compared to most of the mega companies that will take you. I'd reject US Express and Swift right off the bat, top of my head, unless they've made some remarkable transformation since I last had finger on the pulse.

- OS

If you can get on with UPS they are probably the best trucking job one could ask for. My step-dad drives for them and he makes $100,000 a year and he's home every night. He also gets 8 weeks paid vacation. Keep in mind he's been there 25 years.

I've also heard Con-Way Freight is a very good company to drive for. Similar to UPS.

If you can get on with UPS they are probably the best trucking job one could ask for. ...

If you mean delivery vans, average five year stint of loading trucks before you can even get a shot at driving. The entry level loading positions are highly sought too. You don't need CDL for that, though.

No idea how the semi guys are hired on, but you sure aren't gonna step right into it out of driving school, that's a given.

- OS

If you mean delivery vans, average five year stint of loading trucks before you can even get a shot at driving. The entry level loading positions are highly sought too. You don't need CDL for that, though.

No idea how the semi guys are hired on, but you sure aren't gonna step right into it out of driving school, that's a given.

- OS

very true and I should have been more specific. My step-dad drives a semi. That's why I said "if you can get on". It's basically the dream job of most truckers from what I understand. I personally think it would be worth it to start out on the dock if that's what it takes to become a full time driver. I bet most guys there would agree. Those first few years of hell would eventually pay off, especially when you consider they offer a good pension also.

I've also heard Con-Way Freight is a very good company to drive for. Similar to UPS.

Conway is an example of a sought after company, like Estes, Averitt, Saia, Yellow, ABF, CF, Old Dominion, etc. Good pay, and regular home time, the two holy grails for most rank and file OTR guys.

Generally no rookies, AFAIK, 'cept maybe for high staffs' nephews and the like. :up:

Matter of fact, with economy in such a depression, I imagine that all the CDL schools are doing booming biz, and that all the entry level companies are probably raping their newbies worse than ever. As always, I try to put a positive spin on things.

- OS

Keep your CDL even if you change careers, I keep my Class A active even though I have not used it for the last 15 years, it is always a back up way of an income, it costs more to renew my license and I have to keep my DOT physical up to date but it is well worth it in my opinion as it was a bitch to obtain. I did however let my Haz Mat and doubles and triples endorsements lapse

Keep your CDL even if you change careers, I keep my Class A active even though I have not used it for the last 15 years, it is always a back up way of an income, it costs more to renew my license and I have to keep my DOT physical up to date but it is well worth it in my opinion as it was a bitch to obtain. I did however let my Haz Mat and doubles and triples endorsements lapse

Yeah, even though I'm retired from everything, and wound up not even really needing my CDL for a living, I'm gonna keep it renewed; way things are, might have to re-enter the workforce and drive till I'm 101 or so.

- OS

very true and I should have been more specific. My step-dad drives a semi. That's why I said "if you can get on". It's basically the dream job of most truckers from what I understand. I personally think it would be worth it to start out on the dock if that's what it takes to become a full time driver. I bet most guys there would agree. Those first few years of hell would eventually pay off, especially when you consider they offer a good pension also.

UPS is one of the best jobs in this country, if I did not have my career that is where I would be working anyone who can get on with them and chooses not to is making a huge mistake

I'm with you Willis. I used to drive otr but went to something else but kept my A endorsement just in case. I did keep my haz mat for a while till they started charging for it, then I let it drop.

UPS is one of the best jobs in this country, if I did not have my career that is where I would be working anyone who can get on with them and chooses not to is making a huge mistake

I'm a logistics grad and I could not even apply there because of my step-dad(union regulations). The drivers definitely do a lot better than the managers though. I'm pretty sure the mgmt jobs do not include a pension because they are not a part of the union. Not sure where I'm going with this but just thought I would add that snippet.

I drive for Con-Way and it is a good company to work for. I don't know what locations are hiring right now, but just check their website. Basically all workers (except supervisors and office) are drivers so don't worry about not getting to drive. Bad news, if you don't have much (less then 2 years I think) they often require you to go through Con-way's driver school.

All good info.

I used cdljobs.com to apply to a ton of places, con-way included.

I have no qualms about putting in my low man on the scrotum pole time. I don't have any attachments or obligations, I'd just prefer to only be outa couple weeks at a time and have a few days off and then back at it.