Trauma Medicine for CCW

Guest tedbo

Guest tedbo

Folks, this class interested me and I hope it does you too. I see the great value in having this in your toolbox.

This is something I think that EVERYONE should have it and not need it rather than needing it and not having it.

I haven't taken any of the classes yet but it makes perfect sense to me to know this to save yourself,a family member or just to be able to help some LEO that needs help before the EMT's can get to him/her.

I am looking forward to getting in to one of these classes soon. It might help to know that you will get 16 hrs of EMT type credit. Win/win in my book.

Suarez International Trauma Medicine for CCW

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tedbo
Looks interesting. They could have left off the "for ccw" part and just called it Trauma Medicine as that is what people should learn regardless of carry status.

Can I call myself an "HCP Operator"? :D

You can call yourself anything you want to!:D

That sounds like a great class. The 16 hours of continuing ed for my paramedic license renewal would be nice. I wish that the price wasn't so steep, especially when you count the price of 200 rounds of ammo and having to buy an airsoft set-up.

Guest tedbo

True. I look at it in investing in yourself and I think it would blow away(pun intended) anything you could get from the Red Cross in the applications we see here.

if you want excellent training in dealing with GSW and other severe trauma oriented toward gun owners, take the Immediate Action Medical training from Tactical Response. Iknow, many people have issues with TR, but I've done five different courses with them and each one has been excellent, including IAM. They also include a basic trauma kit to use during the course and to take home with you. The course I took had an EMT and a nurse enrolled and they left learning a lot.

Tactical Response.

• 1 month later...

Being a retired Firefighter/EMT, I am assuming you are talking about "basic first aid"? First Responder classes are many hours. EMT classes are many, many hours. Unless anyone is willing to take all the REQUIRED training, tests and refresher courses, don't do it. It is a committement in time and money most folks don't want to handle. If you are just wanting to shoot something to patch up, Kroger sells watermelons real cheap. EMT and HCP don't mix real well. Just my opinion is all!

If you're trying to sell this course...well......

Edited by wd-40
Guest bkelm18
Being a retired Firefighter/EMT, I am assuming you are talking about "basic first aid"? First Responder classes are many hours. EMT classes are many, many hours. Unless anyone is willing to take all the REQUIRED training, tests and refresher courses, don't do it. It is a committement in time and money most folks don't want to handle. If you are just wanting to shoot something to patch up, Kroger sells watermelons real cheap. EMT and HCP don't mix real well. Just my opinion is all!

Is there something wrong with wanting to know something beyond basic first aid?

Did you you read the course description?

I am not trying to "SELL" this class. I am only putting it out there for anyone interested,like myself. It would also be nice to meet other TGO members that I could keep up my skills once I learn them.

While I have no experience with the instructors or this course, I don't see this course being advertised here or elsewhere as a fast track to your EMT certification. We train for many potential self-defense scenarios, malfunctions, and all other real world occurences. Why not at least get familiar with how to deal with the reality that if you're in a gunfight there is a good likelihood that you or someone with you is going to get hurt or shot? There will likely be a period of time between when the incident/injury occurs and when that person will be getting emergency medical care. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather know that my buddy or loved one knows a little more than the average mouthbreather so that they can help me instead of just hoping I'll be okay.

Carrying a gun every day is a big responsiblity that many people can't handle. Those few who seek out training to be more proficient in all related areas, including emergency care should not be persuaded that this is not good time/money spent. JMHO

Guest bkelm18
While I have no experience with the instructors or this course, I don't see this course being advertised here or elsewhere as a fast track to your EMT certification. We train for many potential self-defense scenarios, malfunctions, and all other real world occurences. Why not at least get familiar with how to deal with the reality that if you're in a gunfight there is a good likelihood that you or someone with you is going to get hurt or shot? There will likely be a period of time between when the incident/injury occurs and when that person will be getting emergency medical care. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather know that my buddy or loved one knows a little more than the average mouthbreather so that they can help me instead of just hoping I'll be okay.

Carrying a gun every day is a big responsiblity that many people can't handle. Those few who seek out training to be more proficient in all related areas, including emergency care should not be persuaded that this is not good time/money spent. JMHO

+1. We always say we carry a gun because we can't carry a Cop in our pockets. Well, I can't carry an EMT in my pocket either. There is absolutely nothing wrong with seeking training in advanced first aid, just like there is nothing wrong with seeking training in advanced defensive firearms use. Nobody here is advocating that we all become EMTs. Having advanced training however, is an excellent idea, and not just for carrying a gun, but for everyday life as well.

I don't know anything about the Suarez coiurse, but I've taken the IAM from Tactical Response. It was an excellent course, and nusrses and medics attanded my course also, and went away learning something. It is not a 1st aid course per se, but rather teaches you how to address the three most common causes of basttle field deaths. Arterial bleeding, tension pneumothorax, and obstructed airway. It's a lot of hands on and scenario training which helps youu learn the skills and techniques and how to perform them under pressure.

I'm assuming the Suarez course is very similar. Either way if you carry on a daily basis, you should take one of these courses. It's more likely you'll find yourself in a position to save a life with these techniques than take a life with your gun.

After taking this course I set up three seperate trauma kits. One I keep in primary vehicle, one in my range bag, and one I keep with me when working on the farm cutting trees. As i said I'm more likely to need these skills to save my own life or someones elses's rather than having to use my gun.