2011-2012 hunt regs for Coyote ?

Do I read the regs right that now, we can only use center fire guns on coyote during big game hunts??

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/11TNHD_FINAL_LR.pdf

(coyote is listed as small game)

Seems like last year center-fire it was allowed during off-seasons (coyote open year round).

"Small game hunting with center-fire rifles and shotguns: Rifles andhandguns using center-fire ammunition are prohibited for huntingall small game species on wildlife management areas with only a fewexceptions: Rifles and handguns using center-fire ammunition are legalfor hunting beaver, bobcat, foxes, coyotes, groundhogs, and crows,only during big game seasons and the hunter must be a licensed legalbig game hunter. Coyotes may be taken on any hunt but only with thefirearm or archery equipment that is legal for that hunt.

I do not see anything in the huntguide regarding private lands like last year.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BungieCord

No, you can't go strolling around in the woods with a centerfire rifle and just pretend to be coyote hunting as an excuse to avoid buying a big game stamp. As far as TWRA is concerned, if you're in the woods and carrying a centerfire rifle during big game season, you'd better by god have a big game stamp, even if you really are just bustin' crows.

Do I read the regs right that now, we can only use center fire guns on coyote during big game hunts??

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/11TNHD_FINAL_LR.pdf

(coyote is listed as small game)

Seems like last year center-fire it was allowed during off-seasons (coyote open year round).

"Small game hunting with center-fire rifles and shotguns:

Rifles andhandguns using center-fire ammunition are prohibited for huntingall small game species on wildlife management areas with only a fewexceptions: Rifles and handguns using center-fire ammunition are legalfor hunting beaver, bobcat, foxes, coyotes, groundhogs, and crows,only during big game seasons and the hunter must be a licensed legalbig game hunter. Coyotes may be taken on any hunt but only with thefirearm or archery equipment that is legal for that hunt.

I do not see anything in the huntguide regarding private lands like last year.

What I am asking is what are the real changes from the 2010 regs (as found on page 19, last yrs guide). which *did* allow centerfire on private lands.

That whole 4"x4" block of coyote regs is missing in the 2011 regs, and several items are not clearly explained.

Have you actually compared the two guides ?

B.

Edited by R_Bert
Guest 270win

From what I read, you can now use T shot year round on coyotes on public and private lands. Last year, you were limited to Number 4 birdshot on coyotes on public lands if it was say deer bow season. This is a big improvement. WMA land also limited Number 4 birdshot anytime when shooting coyotes if you were not big game hunting.

hmmm...

Page 18, Row does show T-shot, and also looking row #5, looks like Centerfire *is* allowed ( note 4, furbearers includes coyotes) (also notes 1 & 5 apply). Top of page mentions exceptions for WMA's so the table probably applies to private lands, season is open year-round (page 20).

WMAs still centerfire only during big game season (page 47), other wise use of equipment legal for small game on WMA, and maybe not even them depending on the WMA.

I love TN regs. Every time I read them I read it different, and get crosseyed in the process.

Bert

I will have to check but I believe Ground Hogs are open year around and allowed to be taken with centerfire.

So if you are out hunting Ground Hogs and a coyote comes along you know the drill,

Coyotes may be taken on any hunt but only with thefirearm or archery equipment that is legal for that hunt.

If A is True then B is True.

Dr. Seuss strikes again.

This year I plan to unleash Hell on Coyotes and Wild Hogs.

Edited by vontar

BTW, anyone doing coyote hunting around Anderson County ?

(My activities are more akin to "seriously alerting potential prey of my presence"...still trying to learn how to actually hunt Wile E.)

Bert

Clarify what you are asking ?

I think, for *hunting*, other than license requirements for farmland owners & family, the answer is "yes" (seasons, daylight hours only, equipment, etc.), although there may be overriding state regulation related to control of destructive pests (coyote in chicken-pen, or after calves for example).

What situation do you have in mind (i.e. night hunting in post above is probably not allowable)?

B.

Guest nashvegas
Clarify what you are asking ?

I think, for *hunting*, other than license requirements for farmland owners & family, the answer is "yes" (seasons, daylight hours only, equipment, etc.), although there may be overriding state regulation related to control of destructive pests (coyote in chicken-pen, or after calves for example).

What situation do you have in mind (i.e. night hunting in post above is probably not allowable)?

B.

I'm on a farm. I assume it is OK to take down a coyote when I see one. Had a few chickens disappear lately.

I don't "hunt"coyotes at night. I "protect my livestock and my dogs" at night.

That would be my take (and response) as well.

Just for discussion, and for general awareness of the others reading, use of use of lights, coyote calls, and rifles at night might move one into a legally "grey" area. Whatever tools and techniques you decide to use for protecting your property at night, check with TWRA & local LEO for legality (I usually call the TWRA information officer, Allen Ricks, who is very helpful).

Just be careful. Mis-understanding of the law is easy to do, has severe and life changing consequences, and is easily avoided by a few calls to enforcement authority.

B.

I'm on a farm. I assume it is OK to take down a coyote when I see one. Had a few chickens disappear lately.

Probably no issue at all during daylight hours.

I personally think the law gets "fuzzy" at night-time, especially with respect to what equipment you use. In other words, if it "looks like hunting" or "poaching/jacklighting, etc.", using game calls at night, then you may not be legal

B.

That would be my take (and response) as well.

Just for discussion, and for general awareness of the others reading, use of use of lights, coyote calls, and rifles at night might move one into a legally "grey" area. Whatever tools and techniques you decide to use for protecting your property at night, check with TWRA & local LEO for legality (I usually call the TWRA information officer, Allen Ricks, who is very helpful).

Just be careful. Mis-understanding of the law is easy to do, has severe and life changing consequences, and is easily avoided by a few calls to enforcement authority.

B.

Very well said! I called and chatted with TWRA last fall when the coyotes were becoming a problem. He told me that hunting at night was illegal, and hunting with a light was illegal. He told me that I could use whatever means necessary to protect livestock and dogs!

I have 200 acres of prime hunting land. Based on TWRA's theory on hogs, Coyote hunting is NO LONGER ALLOWED on my property, because I feel I can control the Coyote population better by NOT allowing the hunting of a NON GAME species.....sorry folks.

Edited by wd-40

WD if you were a bit closer I would ask if you had a hog problem, however you are a bit to far for me to make regular trips.

Beaver, coyote, groundhog, striped skunk

- Open year-round, no limit.

Coyote is in the

Furbearers catagory as well, center fire is fine to use the way I read it.

Edited by vontar
I will have to check but I believe Ground Hogs are open year around and allowed to be taken with centerfire.

So if you are out hunting Ground Hogs and a coyote comes along you know the drill,.

If A is True then B is True.

Dr. Seuss strikes again.

This year I plan to unleash Hell on Coyotes and Wild Hogs.

Not this year ya don't Buddy!

OK, I am getting dizzy <again>, or wd-40, was that comment "not this year" regarding hogs ?

On coyote & groundhogs,

All,If you do, or do not believe centerfire can be used, what page# are you referencing, and are you discussing private or public lands ?

I look at it, and see -

- Looking at the chart on page 18, top of page infers statewide and presumedly private lands (notes exception at top of page for WMAs.)

- row 1, column #6, furbearers, note 4 includes coyote and groundhogs.

- row 5, column #6, yes (to CF), notes 1 big gsame permit req. *during* big game season, note #5 daylight hours

- page 20, column 1, 3rd para - coyote and groundhog open year round, no limit

please elaborate on perceived exclusions (other than WMAs & big game season)

B.

Edited by R_Bert
Guest GunTroll

Man, if I were you I would call and get it from the horses mouth. And while your at it, get whoever tells you your answers to give you their name and or badge number (if they have those) before they answer your questions and tell them that you will reference them during any confrontation with authorities. That won't save your butt but it should stress the importance of clear answers on their part. Perhaps a visit in person would even be better.

With only living here in TN since late 09, the one thing I noticed is the regs here are very confusing. I'm thinking the regs are written at a three sided table with biologist, bureaucrats, lawyers all sitting at their own side(s) coming up with their opinions/rules but they don't share with each other what they come up with. :D But we must abide.

I too would like to know about weapon use during the varied seasons on private land so I will be getting in contact with my local warden. I don't believe anyone here can answer any question with great certainty. That's TWRA regs for you.

at the time of my first post I did not have the 2011 guide I have it now. and with my posts after that. I am most upset over the hog season. If I knew who to call above TWRA to complain I would.

Not this year ya don't Buddy!

Page 20

Beaver, coyote, groundhog, striped skunk

- Open year-round, no limit.

and groundhog is listed with the small game Furbearers on page 20.

You can then look at the chart on page 18 at what you are allowed you shot Furbearers with and center fire is one of the choices.

Just for the Record, they added CROW to the Furbearers group, seems they want us to shoot crows as well. Dad will like that, as he hates those things.

Edited by vontar