2011-2012 hunt regs for Coyote ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe they just broke down small game into what you can and cannot use center fire by using the chart on page 18.

Pick your target on 20, then pick your gun on 18.

Notice, no Muzzle loading Turkey hunts like the pilgrims and if you use the chart only certain Shotgun ammo.

Better be glad I am not working for the TWRA, I might add one hunt.

The Pilgrim Turkey hunt, muzzle Loading shot guns only. (would have to check to see if that is safe).

But I would fix the hog hunt.

Edited by vontar
at the time of my first post I did not have the 2011 guide I have it now. and with my posts after that. I am most upset over the hog season. If I knew who to call above TWRA to complain I would.

Page 20

Beaver, coyote, groundhog, striped skunk

- Open year-round, no limit.

and groundhog is listed with the small game Furbearers on page 20.

You can then look at the chart on page 18 at what you are allowed you shot Furbearers with and center fire is one of the choices.

Just for the Record, they added CROW to the Furbearers group, seems they want us to shoot crows as well. Dad will like that, as he hates those things.

I noticed that too. Good for them.

But the stupid migratory bird law still applies to crows, so can hunt only on Friday-Sunday.

R_Bert,

Thanks for making me look that up

I just found out, we also need a migratory bird permitt to shoot them. LOL

type 006 for 2.00 I don't think I plan to shoot a crow anyways.

But going to have some fun with this. however I am not finding the bit about Friday though Sunday.

NM, I found it, page 22

Crow June 1 Feb. 29 no limit

(Fri./Sat./Sun.)

Edited by vontar

I love this one on page 47 trying to explain WMA rules... (and contradicts itself)

Looks like you can shoot crow anytime (.i.e. also Monday-Thursday as WMAs are open during weekdays on state open hunts) during big game season with a centerfire, but not during small game seasons (when page 22 applies)

"A camel is a horse designed by committee......."

Small game hunting with center-fire rifles and shotguns:

Rifles andhandguns using center-fire ammunition are prohibited for huntingall small game species on wildlife management areas with only a fewexceptions: Rifles and handguns using center-fire ammunition are legal for hunting beaver, bobcat, foxes, coyotes, groundhogs, and crows,only during big game seasons and the hunter must be a licensed legalbig game hunter. Coyotes may be taken on any hunt but only with thefirearm or archery equipment that is legal for that hunt.

Crow

may be taken on small game hunt days that coincide with the

statewide crow season (see page 22).

Edited by R_Bert
R_Bert,

Thanks for making me look that up

I just found out, we also need a migratory bird permitt to shoot them. LOL

type 006 for 2.00 I don't think I plan to shoot a crow anyways.

But going to have some fun with this. however I am not finding the bit about Friday though Sunday.

NM, I found it, page 22

Crow June 1 Feb. 29 no limit

(Fri./Sat./Sun.)

Unbelievable. So much for a Sportsman license. Now I have to go back to Walmart get my free type 07 to hunt dove (although page 22 does not list type 07 migratory permit, only the type 06.....)

I am dizzy again.

Unbelievable. So much for a Sportsman license. Now I have to go back to Walmart get my free type 07 to hunt dove (although page 22 does not list type 07 migratory permit, only the type 06.....)

I am dizzy again.

Migratory Bird Permit (Type 007)

Only available to Sportsman license holders. no fee

However, like I said, I don't plan to shoot a crow this year.

Migratory Bird Permit (Type 007)

Only available to Sportsman license holders. no fee

However, like I said, I don't plan to shoot a crow this year.

Yeah, it's free for me, but I still have to take time, and make trip for a permit that either should have been automatically added, or included in the Sportsman License to begin with. It will have to wait on the next grocery trip to wally world, otherwise would cost $4 in gas alone. Bureaucracy at its best.

Guest GunTroll

What about the part, and I don't have the regs book in front of me at the moment, when you look at furbearer regs and looking at weapon choice it says what (and this is where I'm para phrasing) you have to be a legal big game hunter. So if your in archery big game season, to me a legal big game hunter means a hunter who has a bow in his possession. Not a centerfire rifle. What do you guys think of that? Am I looking at it all wrong???

What about the part, and I don't have the regs book in front of me at the moment, when you look at furbearer regs and looking at weapon choice it says what (and this is where I'm para phrasing) you have to be a legal big game hunter. So if your in archery big game season, to me a legal big game hunter means a hunter who has a bow in his possession. Not a centerfire rifle. What do you guys think of that? Am I looking at it all wrong???
1. If using this equipment while hunting during deer, elk or bear season you must be a legal big game hunter.
looks like it applies to rifles only.

So I think you have to have a big game stamp (or Sportsmans License) during big game season to hunt coyote with a CF, but the note on archery equipment only refers to using broadheads.

However, the WMAs regs may require a BG stamp even to be in the area for any type of hunting.

Edited by R_Bert

I know we have coyote in Oak Ridge I have pictures of them from just a few months ago. Yet it is against the law to go armed in the public parks. There was 2 together when we saw this one. This was the small one, the other one was quite a big bigger.

coyote.jpg