Report: HCP course at Sportsman's (Hixson)

Guest GUTTERbOY

Guest GUTTERbOY

Yup, today was the day. I got to go learn all about the nuts and bolts of being an armed citizen, yada yada yada. My day started off very well when I overslept and was actually awakened by Carl calling me to see if I was planning on coming to the class. I hate being late. Luckily, I live just a few minutes away, so I was able to make it there only about 15 minutes into the class, and all I missed was some lecture on nomenclature and such. Still, it was pretty embarrassing for me.

Anyway, on to the course. Pretty basic stuff, we talked about nomenclature, basics of handgun operation, places off-limits while carrying, and then we watched this absolutely horrid, albeit unintentionally amusing, video about the legalities of deadly force. Then we broke for lunch, and an hour later it was time to prepare for the range.

We got some more instructions on the basics of stance, grip, sight alignment and other marksmanship essentials. We did some simulated fire with some kind of laser training system while the instructor gave advice on grip, stance and such individually. Then it was on to the range to burn some real powder. Course of fire was pretty basic; six-shot strings at ranges of (roughly) 3,7, and 15 yards; 18 rounds at 3 and 5 yards, 12 rounds at 15, and finally we burned the two spare rounds in the box with a couple head shots at 3 yards again.

Back to the classroom for the "test". I put that in quotes because they might as well have just given us booklets with the answers already circled. It was that easy. We finished up with a little talk about various carry methods and holsters, and we were done! Now I just gotta get down to the license office, turn in my application and start checking the mailbox three times a day.

I'm still a bit put off that I had to take this course; I was previously an NC resident and had a CCW permit there, but NC holders are required to take the course here. So I found it odd that this course was far less in-depth than my NC equivalent, which consisted of eight hours in the classroom and four hours on the range. Oh well- if nothing else, I got to familiarize myself with a new set of laws and get in some range time.

Finally, I'll gratuitously show off my target. I shot better than I honestly expected to; until two weeks ago I hadn't fired a handgun in probably over a year. Still, the group reveals that I've got a little bit more of an anticipation problem to work out, but I'm overall satisfied.

IMAG0019.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GUTTERbOY

Actually, I get to skip the fingerprinting and just pay the $50 renewal fee, since I had an NC permit when I moved here. :confused:

I did the same deal. Had a Florida permit, but had to do the whole deal again here. You're right, that is one sad mandatory movie! Worst part of whole ordeal was sitting at the D.L. Office for a little over 2 hours waiting to pay and get my mugshot done.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Yeah, I got to deal with the multi-hour wait when I got my TNDL. Let me tell you, you can look at my face in the photo and tell that I'd been waiting a while. It's not a jolly expression. :confused:

Guest GUTTERbOY
Did you go to the Bonny Oaks road location?It would have been ALOT less headache to go to the one in Cleveland.20 minute drive and its right off 75.You will be there for ten minutes and your off.

Yup, that's where I went. From talking to the folks in my class, apparently there's an office over in Red Bank as well. Seems the Bonny Oaks location has a reputation for half the state population flocking to it on any given day. I'll probably end up going to the Red Bank office when I turn in my HCP app this week, since I already work over in that area. I appreciate the heads up in Cleveland, though!

Guest CrazyLincoln

I don't know about the location you went to, but where I went, they opened at 8am, I was there at 7:30 and still 3rd in line. This was after getting there at 8am the day before to find the line out the door and probably 50 people (not exaggerating) in line in front of me.

If your schedule allows, I suggest get there 30 mins before they open.

Guest GLOCKGUY
I don't know about the location you went to, but where I went, they opened at 8am, I was there at 7:30 and still 3rd in line. This was after getting there at 8am the day before to find the line out the door and probably 50 people (not exaggerating) in line in front of me.

If your schedule allows, I suggest get there 30 mins before they open.

12495_sign_iagree_1.gif

Guest GUTTERbOY
the bonny oaks location is flooded with mexicans who cant speak a lick of english and none of them ever have the correct documents. stay away from there at all costs.

there is a new location on Cherokee Blvd. i would go there, and be there when they open the doors.

Yup, that's the Red Bank location I was referring to. Too bad they aren't open on Monday... now I gotta wait another day. I don't think that location was open when I got my license back in October, or else I probably would have gone there.

Thanks for the review...I'm planning on calling this week to sign up for a course next weekend. You guys think these DOTs are bad, try the ones in Nashville... I will take some of your advice and check out the offices on Cherokee Blvd. or in Cleveland when the time rolls around.