kel tec pf-9

93civEJ1

with this pf9 has anyone noticed the lack of a trigger reset? If you do not release the trigger fully it has issues?

Yes. You have to let it ALLLL the way back out or you will have a light strike. I think they may even mention it in the manual but don't quote me on that. Not my favorite thing about the gun but for the price I can't complain. I will also note I never had any feeding issues or issues of any kind with mine but I still polished the barrel and slide ramp up.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. You have to let it ALLLL the way back out or you will have a light strike. I think they may even mention it in the manual but don't quote me on that. Not my favorite thing about the gun but for the price I can't complain. I will also note I never had any feeding issues or issues of any kind with mine but I still polished the barrel and slide ramp up.

thanks so it is not just me

I went from a PF9 to an LCP and LC9. The LCP for pocket carry and the LC9 for belt or coat pocket carry. I didn't do this because the PF9 was a bad gun, far from it mine work's very well, in fact I gave it to my wife to carry. My problem with the PF9 was the small trigger guard was causing me problems and was killing my index finger. The LCP and LC9 have larger trigger guard's and that solved my problem.

The trigger and trigger guard are a slight problem for some people. Some folks on KTOG have a mod for that where they heated the trigger tip and straightened it enough to eliminate most of the "pinch". Some also did the same thing with the trigger guard using a wooden dowel to increase the overall size of the trigger guard. The reset that someone mentioned is also something that took some adjustment, especially after shooting Glocks for so long and using the short reset on the Glock pistols. You have to shoot the gun pretty much like a double action revolver in order to be accurate and avoid problems.

All in all, I think they are worth the money. I've not shot an LC9, but I understand the trigger is a little longer than the PF9. For the OP if you're interested in comparing the two, Hickok45 did a very nice comparison video over on youtube where he shot both of them side by side. It's worth the time to watch. Might help you in your search.

And if the TGO memboer in Knoxville wants to sell his for a fair price, I'd buy it if I was you. Even used, they are a good bargain. Just beware of limp wristing these little guns, they are very light weight and shooting the 9mm they need all the energy they can get to work properly. Main thing is to lock the wrists and keep the elbows flexed and allow the recoil to push the gun back into you, and not up and back.

Good luck!

I had one and liked to carry, but did not like to shoot it so much. It had alot more recoil than my glock 27. It also was not as accurate past 5 yards. I know that most encounters happen close, but I want to hit something at 10-15 yards if needed. I also experienced the problem with the trigger reset. I found if I rode the trigger at all I had problems. I had to release all the way.

I purchased a pf-9 a couple months ago. I loved everything about it. The feel was great and it was very lightweight. After testing it out, I experienced extraction failures every 3 or 4 rounds. Kel tec support was super nice and sent a new extractor kit. I installed it and still experienced extraction failures. Sent it back to KT and they paid for shipping. They replaced internal parts and barrel and it still jams. I purchased an LC9 because of the trouble with the pf9. No failures from the LC9.

I would not have bought the LC9 if the PF9 worked as it should.

I really like both guns about the same. There are things about each gun that I like and some things about each gun that I don't like.

As far as the comments about the pf9 hurting the hands, the gun never did hurt my hands while shooting but it does have a good kick to it.

I would still recommend the PF9 even though I had bad luck with the one I bought. I still don't know what to do with mine.

If I were you, I'd send it back to KelTec again. They'll get it running right even if they have to replace the whole gun - and it won't cost you a cent as long as you're the original owner. If someone else buys it from you, then they have to pay shipping to KT and I think it's like $40 flat fee, plus parts cost. KelTec used to honor the warranty to everyone, no questions asked.....but now that so many are being bought used, they've changed their policy.

Guest JebusJames
Any interest in selling it?

No. I really would like a good working PF9.

If I were you, I'd send it back to KelTec again. They'll get it running right even if they have to replace the whole gun - and it won't cost you a cent as long as you're the original owner. If someone else buys it from you, then they have to pay shipping to KT and I think it's like $40 flat fee, plus parts cost. KelTec used to honor the warranty to everyone, no questions asked.....but now that so many are being bought used, they've changed their policy.

Yes. That is what I'll have to do. I'm working up the nerve to send it back to KT for a second time. I really want the PF9 to work even if I have to get another one. It is an almost perfect carry piece in my opinion.

Guest Tipster
Not a friendly shooter, your hand will hate you after about 20rds.

I have to disagree. Almost 400 rounds thru mine and have yet to experience any discomfort. It does kick like a mule but it has never hurt. To each his own I guess.