Panama City

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, but I carry concealed, and don't get in trouble. You can carry in restaurants there but you're not allowed to sit in the "Bar" area.

I frequented Hunts Oyster Bar, but I didn't determine that the bar was for alcohol as much as for shucking oysters. So I sat there while carrying, might be a fine line for an LEO.

Guest Old goat

You should have no problems. I've been here for about 6 months now, just keep it concealed. Hunts has good Oysters, but I think J Micheals is a bit better, on Thomas Dr, P C Beach.

I bought a waist pack (fanny pack or whatever) that is made for concealed carry specifically for use on vacation in Florida earlier this year. Not my favorite way to carry but it does offer concealment without printing, etc. I wasn't sure how 'picky' Florida is about the whole concealment thing and didn't want to take any chances - especially since I was mostly going to be wearing t-shirts and shorts so that printing through the pocket (even with a pocket holster) might be a possibility. I used the waist pack a good bit but I also cut a piece from some scrap leather I had. I ended up carrying in my cloth Blackhawk pocket holster some and I would just put that 'panel' of leather in my pocket on the outside of the holster to prevent printing and it worked pretty well. I carried my 642. My mom and wife both carried their P32s (although not as much as I carried) and none of us had any issues or problems.

From what I could/can find (including the very helpful site handgunlaw.us) Florida allows carry in state parks. We actually stayed in St. Andrews State Park there in Panama City and had no problems, whatsoever. I didn't carry when we took the ferry over to Shell Island but we were planning to be in the water a lot and I didn't want to leave it on the beach unattended, anyhow.

Edited by JAB
Is "printing" considered "not concealed?"

I think that depends on how 'picky' the state or LEOs in the area are about it. At least that is my take. That is why, (not knowing how 'picky' Florida is about it) I wanted to be really careful to avoid printing, just in case.

I got into a mild scuffle several years ago in the PCB Walmart parking lot of all places. I don't want to go into too many details, but it was a fellow that wanted some additional vacation money. My wife and daughter were in our vehicle and I was refilling the windshield washer reservoir when the fellow confronted me. It was resolved without firearms and we enjoyed the rest of our evening, but it was a bit disturbing to my young daughter.

Other than that incident, we have vacationed there many times and I consider it very safe.

Guest yzfMrLee

I was there about a month ago. Like others have said, concealed only and not allowed to sit in bar area. I pocket carried my pf9 any time we weren't in the ocean. No troubles at all.

• 3 weeks later...