Federal ban at medical facilities????

Ok, so far the Tennessee Dept. of Safety has no information regarding such a law. Also today, I contacted the company who manages the building and told them what had happened and asked if they had such a policy. I was quite surprised. The lady I spoke with actually said that they had not had ANY discussion of the issue of people carrying on the property and had no policy one way or the other. She also stated that the security officer actually should not have made the statements he made regarding building policy when no such policy exists.

I thanked her for her time and asked that if in the future if they did have any discussions regarding carrying, that they NOT post as such postings are essentially useless anyway, only stopping law abiding citizens. She thanked me.

Now I wonder if it is even worth my time to go back and tell the security guard what I found out.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you remember the name of who you spoke to? If so when you go back and if the guard stops you again, ask to speak to her. Otherwise he may not care what she said and if you talk with anyone else they may or may not back up what she said.

Yes, I have a name, however it is a fairly large property management company and she is not on site. They actually have no presence or office on site. I inquired in one of the office tennents and they stated that when they have an issue, they have a phone number to call. That is how I got a contact number.

None of the offices that are in that building are open on the weekend so the building is closed. However I do plan to go by there Monday and make the security officer aware of what I found out. If he wants to make more of it, I will contact the contract security company he works for (the property manangment company representative I spoke with gave me the name of the security company) and speak with a supervisor.

Well after hearing from all of you folks, inquiring with the Dept. of Safety and contacting the building managment group, I went back to give the security officer the information I had gathered. It was obvious from the look on his face and his demeanor that I had apparently already stirred the pot. When I told him that I had made inquiries, he said, "I know, I have heard". His tone of voice and expression indicated that he was not a happy camper. Instead of his previous jovial, polite tone, he was curt, and didn't have much to say.

I simply advised him that my inquiries had determined that there was no federal ban on medical faciliities and that the building managment company did not prohibit carrying of weapons on the property. To which he simply responded, "I don't believe we need to tallk anymore". I said, "no problem" and left.

I think what it boils down to is he got his bluff called and lost and from his tone and attitude today, he may have even been admonished or chastised by his boss, I don't know, he didn't say and I didn't ask.

Thanks for all the input from all you very knowlegable folks out there.

Guest ArmaDeFuego
When I told him that I had made inquiries, he said, "I know, I have heard". His tone of voice and expression indicated that he was not a happy camper. Instead of his previous jovial, polite tone, he was curt, and didn't have much to say.

I simply advised him that my inquiries had determined that there was no federal ban on medical faciliities and that the building managment company did not prohibit carrying of weapons on the property. To which he simply responded, "I don't believe we need to tallk anymore". I said, "no problem" and left.

So you didnt carry into the building?

Guest ArmaDeFuego
Hmmmm I either didn't catch that or took it different. Like he left the guy and went on in.....

Oh. Yea I read "I said no problem & left" to mean that he turned around & left, & didnt go in.

No. I had no other business at that building today. I had told the security officer at our first encounter that I would investigate what he had said and get back to him on it. So I was simply keeping my word in providing him with what I had found out. It is just too bad that it didn't work out in his favor and he didn't like it. My only reason today to go there was to give him the information that I had gained, (thanks in great part to the many responses from this forum and the TFA forum).

I WAS armed because HE was wrong and I had every right to be armed. But no, I didn't proceed into the building because I didn't have any business to transact in the building. But if and when I do, unless they choose to post, I will have my weapon as usual and I would think that THIS officer will not challenge me.

If he does, I will again remain calm, try to conduct myself in a professional manner, comply with his request, call his supervisor and or the police, the building managment company and get it settled.

I am a big proponent of carrying a snub in a pocket holster that no one can see or even an ankle holster when that seems to hide better. No one needs to know that I am carrying and I'm not having a conversation with anyone about my gun carrying. Conversations with these security types go nowhere and are a waste of my time while I am busy going about my business. So I carry the snub and that way the security types can be busy looking for other people to bug.

Guest ArmaDeFuego
I think I'd had to go in and just walk around or ride the elevator up and down if I went there.....lol

Yea I would have probably done the same thing.... Preferably while openly carrying hahaha :)

First let me say this is not something I did, this is something WE did. If it were not for the combined resources of this forum and that of TFA and the help of a person at the Tennessee Dept. of Safety, this would not have been done.

Second I want to say that I did not go back to be able to rub it in or be able to say "I told you so". From the outset, at the initial contact, which was not planned, I told the security guard that I felt his information was wrong and that would let him know what I found out WHEN I found out.

I have no doubt as some on this forum and the TFA forum had stated, that regardless of his ACTING understanding, saying he believed we should be able to carry anyplace AND his statements that he had asked the building managment to post, it was all just that, an act. I also have no doubt he already knew that the managment didn't ban carrying and I find it difficult to believe that he REALLY thought there was a federal law banning carrying on medical facility property.

The bottom line, he didn't have a real foundation to stand on and thought he could impose what HE wanted by lying and bluffing. It is too bad that he couldn't accept being confronted with the truth better than he did. I really didn't do this so I could walk away with a "I win, you loose" kind of thing. As long as there are people like this person in positions such as his who try to intimidate people with lies and bluffs, we ALL loose.

If he is in a bad mood over this, I really don't feel sorry for him. He created the situation when HE CHOSE to conduct himself in the manner he did. Like I said, he didn't say half a dozen words. He listened to what I said then responded with the "I don't believe we need to talk anymore" answer. I said, "no problem", turned and walked away with my .40 cal Sig P250 in the holster on my belt.

Again, thanks to all.

Were you OCing? I may have missed that if previously stated. If so,good for you.

He's probably still mad he didn't make 5-0. I met some of those types when i drove an armored truck.

No, I don't normally carry open. I have on occasion but it is not because I plan to. It is usually when I am doing something that is easier to do with my outer shirt off. When that happens, my weapon is open and I don't worry about it. I normally 90 to 95% of the time wear a shirt with the tail not tucked in covering the gun in it's holster on my belt.

The open carry vs concealed debate is one that goes on. There are pros and cons on both sides. I personally prefer to carry concealed but it is good that Tennessee law does not prohibit open carry so that no matter your preferance, you can do so.

The thing that fascinates me about this entire thread is that he was supposedly able to make you carrying, perhaps by bluff. He did not have any evidence or confirmation, unless/until you acknowledged his bluff. If you were to have said, "I don't know what you are talking about" and proceeded to enter, he would not have had any reasonable cause to stop you nor the authority to search you to confirm his possible suspicion. This leads me to believe that, beyond falling into his bluff trap and basically "confessing", you were perhaps careless in some manner to have given yourself away. I only say this to point out that if it happened on this occasion, it could also happen again, anywhere else and with perhaps a not so nice element of people.

Just saying.

I am a big proponent of carrying a snub in a pocket holster that no one can see or even an ankle holster when that seems to hide better. No one needs to know that I am carrying and I'm not having a conversation with anyone about my gun carrying. Conversations with these security types go nowhere and are a waste of my time while I am busy going about my business. So I carry the snub and that way the security types can be busy looking for other people to bug.

+1