So I picked the G23

AMSting

I recently asked about choosing between the G22 and 23. The majority said go for the G23 due to the versatility of being able to carry it. I went to handle both and was surprised at how close they were in size. I was able to get all fingers on each, but the G23 felt a little better. I picked the G23 mainly due to it only having a few rounds shot through it. It also felt like my G30 and fits the same holster.I got to the range last weekend and ran about 100 rounds through it with no issues. Recoil is stout, but really no more than my G30. I could tell a difference between Winchester Ranger and WWB though. About the only thing I noticed is my trigger finger was a little sore, like it was rubbing the edge of the trigger wrong. I didn't see anything, but I had a sore spot on my finger for about an hour afterwards.I am also considering a 357SIG barrel for it. Mostly just to have more ammo options (and a reason to buy more ammo).

Edited by AMSting
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gw2and4

Congrats. I made a similar choice in 1995 with a Gen2 and haven't looked back since (although I do now I carry a newer Gen3).

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone 4

The choice of G22 vs G23 and respectively, G17 vs G19 really comes down to personal preference and how you intend to use the pistol. Size-wise, as you mentioned, they're not that different. Some shooters prefer the grip of the 19/23 to the grip of the 17/22 and that's what does it for them.

There are a good number of folks who like the sight radius of the larger pistol, don't like the "grip hump" that the 19/23 have, or don't like the larger frame. In those cases, they'll buy the 17/22 and have the grip cut down by someone like Boresight Solutions or do it themselves like my friend did (see pic below). This gives the concealability of the smaller gun with the benefits of the longer sight radius.

G17.jpg

Guest Victor9er

Congrats! I think as most of us said you really couldn't go wrong with either choice. I'm sure you'll enjoy the G23. And for more ammo options you can pick up a 9mm barrel for it as well! :)

I just grabbed a G22 myself, I'm waiting for it to come back from the gunsmith (having new sights put on it) so I can take it out to the range.