How many of you have ever taken a human life?

Guest gmachuta

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdog
I never have as of yet, but if I had to I would, and I would not loose any sleep over it, if it was something I had to do because it was them or me.

J

Well if you have not been there and done it then that's a pretty broad statement.

Guest Boomhower
So far today I haven't.

:shake::up::lol:.....I thought the same thing when I first read this thread.....but my mind still wonders while I am at work.....:D

Guest flyfishtn
I think most anti's assumption is that we carry looking to take take life. In fact, it is the exact opposite. I carry to protect life.

I was recently asked if as a LEO I could take a life, my response, that's a choice someone else has to make. In other words the BG makes the decision to assault me or my family, I simply respond.

Conviction of character (as well as right and wrong) needs to be resolved before something happens and not after. In many counseling situations, I've discovered the folks who struggle with things had a lot of self doubt before they made the decisions they did.

My point, these are questions you need to wrestle with before you decide to carry, because once you make that decision, you have already decided you can and will take life if necessary.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :shake:

Guest Bronker

nsnate has so far nailed it.

I too didn't decide to carry because it gave me the opportunity to be reckless and to go vigilante. I carry for the exact opposite reasons, because I chose to be cautious, and responsible. There is biblical implication even, for your duty as a husband and/or father is to provide for and protect your family.

The difference between me and the BG, is that I know my intentions, motives, and persuasions. I don't know his. And if he has chosen to provoke me, and enter into the 'safe zone' of my family, then I have to assume his intentions are unjust, dangerous, and evil. Therefore, it puts me in a reactionary mode, where my actions are only a counter to his. If he's 'mouthing' from a distance, I'll do my best to maintain that distance, and increase it. If he advances, he made the choice, not me. I'll react to a predicament, and will never create one. Just as I teach my 5 year old, do everything you reasonably can to avoid a fight. If it is unavoidable, HIT FIRST AND HIT HARDEST!

I pray I never even have to draw my weapon, but if I do, I know that I had to. And I can assume that I can live with the ramifications of taking another life, if in good concience I had no intent, no choice, and no other recourse.

I'm counting on my heavenly Father for the grace to bear having done it.

My two pennies.

Guest darkstar

Thought provoking question. Like many other posters I have decided to carry for my protection and the protection of other loved ones. Because of this I have asked myself if I need to use my weapon will I? I have decided that yes I will. How I will react after such a situation? I can't (and never do want to ) answer that. I think it's a fair and valid question to pose....Deciding to arm one's self is not a matter to be taken lightly. There are a lot of considerations. There is a financial cost (buying a weapon, taking HCP class, permit fees, training, range time, ammo, etc) and possible emotional costs, possible litigation costs if you use your weapon. Personally I decided the pros easily outweigh the cons, but not everyone may feel this way.

I'm not quite sure what the purpose of this topic is.

No one knows if they can pull the trigger until they have to do it. But most people can do it. Self preservation is a very strong instinct.

Isn't that the truth? and the funny thing is that it's different EVERY time you pull. No two situations are ever alike, it seems except in that they both require you to do some mighty serious thinking, mighty quickly.

Outside of combat, I have never taken a human life. I usually have enough brains these days to either avoid the situation or de-escalate the situation so that it doesn't get that far.

As for the stigma that killing another human being "haunts" you... I don't know about other folks, but it's never bothered me a bit.

Now, I do have friends that haven't come home..and that bothers me quite a lot.

If that's a "John Wayne" attitude, then you can call me "the dookie"

:up:

Odd question.

I don't recall ever discussing killing in the terms you ask. Mostly its at a professional level for future insight - - - How we did it and how to do it better next time.

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAhahah!!!

that is SO dead on-balls- accurate!

Most folks don't realize just HOW much thought that professionals put into being a more effective weapon, and sharpening their skills.

If civilians think its easy, I suggest they set up a MOVING target at 100-200 yards and see how many rounds they can get into it when it makes it's run. Heck, try it at 30-50 yards.

I doubt I could do very well myself; I haven't had the kind of practice it takes to allow a soldier to survive on the battlefield, in more than 10 years.

Soldiers literally train day and night to do just one thing. destroy the enemy.

when they get back into the world, there's little difference between an enemy of the nation and an enemy of their family...only the rules of engagement change.

I usually have enough brains these days to either avoid the situation or de-escalate the situation so that it doesn't get that far.

As for the stigma that killing another human being "haunts" you... I don't know about other folks, but it's never bothered me a bit.

Now, I do have friends that haven't come home..and that bothers me quite a lot.

Yeah, I've talked my way out of a lot of situations. No reason to draw a weapon unless you have to.

I guess everyone is different about what bothers them from a gunfight or combat. I don't think shooting someone who was trying to shoot me has ever bothered me, but some of my buddies not coming home certainly has.

Guest jaypee

I understand where Greg's question comes from and I have often wondered the same thing when I run into a group of folks speaking of taking human life in derisive or flippant terms on some of our websites. I'm a retired LEO and I've been a firearms instructor most of my adult life, including 28 years as a police firearms instructor. Like most cops, I've laid awake many nights pondering these questions and deciding how I will respond and what my attitude will be when I do and afterward. I've spent some time praying about it too, in hopes that if I ever get into such a situation I will be dead right instead of dead wrong. These are the most serious questions a man can ever ask himself. I think Greg's question would have been more accurate if he had described these attitudes and comments more as Clint Eastwood/Charles Bronson attitudes rather than John Wayne and Annie Oakley.........life was cheap for Dirty Harry and the Death Wish guy......killing people was shown as being easy for them, even commendable, and there always seems to be some of this type of irresponsible dialogue on websites oriented toward self defense.

Before anyone here concludes that the TGO site doesn't have any of this,and that Greg's question is unfounded, let me tell you of my experiences here. I joined this site about five weeks ago and stumbled to a thread in which I saw the most cold-blooded, derisive, unthinking comments from members I have ever seen anywhere. I was so offended by this that I sent an irate email to the Administrators rescinding my membership and directing them to remove my name from any record contained on this site because these comments violated everything I've stood for in my 65 years. I was hot, to say the very least.

After no more than an hour I received a very nice email from one of the regulators asking me to look over the entire site and not conclude that these people represented the entire population of TGO, and I did and he was entirely correct. He was very concerned about the direction the thrread had taken and was in the process of shutting it down when I stumbled into it. We have a good bunch of people here, and like any site that discusses self defense, we have a few who can't seem to get a handle on their manhood without talking about the taking of life as if it's a rite of passage to be conducted with all the compassion of opening a can of beans. This makes us all look horrible. So Greg is only voicing a question others share with him and it was asked in all honesty and respect. I have been really pleased at the maturity, compassion, and thoughtfulness I've seen in the responses to his question, and I'm glad I got the email from the regulator and stuck around. There are some really fine folks here.

JayPee

Edited by jaypee
..... when they get back into the world, there's little difference between an enemy of the nation and an enemy of their family...only the rules of engagement change.

AND - - - To protect the family we get to carry Hollow Points instead of FMJs. ;)

You know, of all the military, Government Service, and LE people I know over now into 40 years of government service, I've never asked one of them if he ever killed someone and I've never had one of them ask me if I have. It has come up in conversation, but never as a specific question of another guy's killing someone else. Much of the time it is just understood.

I think some kid asked me once. You expect kids to do stuff like that.

Killing someone is not a badge of honor or manliness except to those who haven't had to do it and who do not understand how valuable life is.. Mindless killing is something juveniles do to prove they are dumb enough to join a gang. That's a mark of un-intelligence.

Killing in the line of duty is just part of the job, if necessary, for military and LE. For the public it may be part of self-preservation. As with any act, you deal with the consequences. Some deal better than others. But you do it because you have to and know that a real man will do what is honorable and will then deal with the results.

Maybe that's why a topic like this is a bit irritating. Many of us do what is necessary. Asking whether we have done something like killing someone else seems more like a voyeur looking over our shoulder, watching the show but not doing the act. Whether we have done the act or not is between us and God.

I take offense at this post. I don't know what good purpose it makes. Its inflammatory and is not in the spirit of this forum. I am particularly surprised that the administrator and the dogs that keep watch has allowed this. This is a bull **** post . :taunt: