Remington 700 bolt

Guest nicemac

First trip to CHMR http://chmr.us today to break in the new Remington 700 SPS SS .308 and sight in the Nikon scope. After only a few shots (4 or 5) the bolt became progressively harder and harder to close, despite cleaning and lubing. With the firing pin assembly out, it moves perfectly. Assembled, it has some resistance when closing with no round in the chamber. With a round in the chamber, it is VERY hard to close and even harder to open/eject. There are no visible flaws in either part of the bolt. The bolt has been completely disassembled and thoroughly cleaned and lubed several times. It goes together easily and moves freely when the firing pin assembly is removed. Remington is already closed for the weekend…

Help!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had a similar issue with a 5R milspec i purchased used because the guy couldnt get the first box through it. turned out to be a small brass sliver in or around the extractor claw. picked it out with a dental pick and it works fine.

this doesnt allow the round to seat on the bolt properly and i was forcing the round into the chamber. felt almmost exactly like trying to push a round i forgot to trim into the chamber.

That is EXACTLY what it feels like–like I am trying to jam an untrimmed case into the chamber…

Just checked with a magnifying glass. No debris there. Took a pick and scrapped all around the claw, then blew it out with compressed air. No joy. Same situation.

Edited by nicemac

The plunger on the bolt face moves freely. This isn't sticky. It takes force to rotate it into the closed position. The bolt has been apart for cleaning several times. It isn't dirty or sticky. At this point, I am thinking it is Remington or gunsmith time…

OK, new information . I pulled out my Hornady headspace gauge. I measured several of the fired cases. 1.626". Pulled out several unfired rounds from the box. 1.625" That it only .001" headspace. Is that enough for a bolt gun? For an auto, I would say no, but not sure about the bolt…

Guest GunTroll

I won't comment on the headspace issue but did you not say that it is giving you trouble with no round being chambered and with the FP assembly taken out it is fine, but with the FP assembly in it is difficult?

Sorry for the confusion.

With no round (but firing pin in), it feels harder than it should to rotate closed. With no round (and firing pin out) it just flops closed with zero effort.

With a round in, it is hard to rotate whether the firing pin is in or out.

Do you have a scope on it? If the screws are long they will go through the action and bind the bolt. The firing pin engagement will cause the bolt to be pushed up into the top of the receiver making it worse.

Gonna have o go with this one. Sounds like something you should check for sure. Try pulling off the bases and see how it does then.

If this IS what it is, it's an easy fix at least.

We checked the scope screws early on. We get the same result with the rings off.

Picked up a box of Federal ammo over the weekend. MUCH better bolt action. The first boxes of ammo he (my son) picked up was Monarch (brass), from Academy. While I still believe it is a little stiff, it is greatly improved.

I put calipers on the Monarch ammo. It was in spec, but at the limit for brass length, COL, and only had .001" headspace. We have shot Monarch in handguns for a long time, but this is the first (and last) time we have ever tried many of it in a rifle…

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest sklax17

Sounds like warrenty if not most guns have break in time 500 rnds for 1911 some bolts like M24 up to 200 rounds and so on so forth i dont mean clean every round for five then every 5 rounds for three but just to gets parts moving polishing naturally unless you plan on lapping but remeber these SPS are basic hunting rifles with thick tactical appearing barrels that arent stressed during milling and the like