Dry Firing tips

dkd83

I posted this earlier on XD Talk. I would also like all the TGOers input.

I am new to pistol shooting. I have recently purchased an XD9sc and need to get in some serious practice/training. I particularly need to work on trigger control. To this end, I want to begin dry firing exercises to correct/identify my trigger shortcomings.

Are there any specific methods that I should use when dry firing an XD?

Is this practice particularly damaging to the firing pin or other mechanisms on the XD, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj

From what I have read, dry firing a XD is fine, it will not hurt it, it was designed to pull the trigger in a dry fire scenario to break it down to clean it, that reminds me, I need to clean mine;). A lot of people that still feel a little weird in doing it, they will by the snap caps to use.

You can get something to balance on the slide of the gun so that you can see the slightest movements when you pull the trigger.

Thanks db99wj,

I was thinking of the old "dime/washer/dowl" drills I used for marksmanship practice while in the Army. I suspected the XD tolerated dry fire because of the necessity for it during disassembly but wanted more input.

Guest Steelharp

A) Put one round in chamber.

:rant: Aim at computer. NOT AT MONITOR.

C) Pull trigger.

D) "Take THAT, you razzenfrazzit POS! How do ya like THAT defrag??"

E) Laugh maniacally.

Guest jackdog

whatever you do, make sure your firearm is unloaded and that there are no magazines in the room. My neighbor about a year ago was dry firing his new glock. reinstalled the magazine and answered the phone. A few minutes later he picked up the glock and killed his almost new 42" flat screen tv. His poor pooch peed all over his area rug. Just be real careful

Jackdog

Guest GlocKingTN
whatever you do, make sure your firearm is unloaded and that there are no magazines in the room. My neighbor about a year ago was dry firing his new glock. reinstalled the magazine and answered the phone. A few minutes later he picked up the glock and killed his almost new 42" flat screen tv. His poor pooch peed all over his area rug. Just be real careful

Jackdog

That would have scared me too!:rant:

Guest Phantom6

Here is a checklist that I give to our students-

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dry Practice Checklist

• Goal. Set a realistic dry practice goal before you begin. A long practice session is not necessarily better because quality and not quantity is the key here. Are we practicing shooting fundamentals, presentation techniques and reholstering, clearing drills, reloading or off-handed drills?

• Mindset. Get into the proper mindset for training. Concentrate on your dry practice. Turn off the TV or the stereo and pay attention to what it is you are trying to accomplish here.

• Control. Establish control of your dry practice environment so as to eliminate any distractions. If you are not expecting anyone to come over then don’t answer the door. If you are not expecting a phone call then don’t answer the phone. Let it go to voice mail or let the answering machine field it for you. You need to concentrate on the fundamentals of the exercise.

• Unload the firearm and yourself. There should be no live ammunition in the same room with you. Unload the firearm, remove extra magazines or spare ammunition and place it all in a secure location in ANOTHER ROOM.

• Chamber check your firearm. Do this both visually and with your finger to verify that it is unloaded and say out loud “ The firearm is unloaded and I am ready for dry practice”.

• Target. Select an appropriate sized target and if at all possible, place it on a surface capable of stopping a bullet (just in case you screw up). Never dry practice with any target but your dry practice target.

• Redundant chamber check. Chamber check your firearm again and begin your dry practice session concentrating on the fundamentals of what you are doing.

• Don’t over extend. Terminate the dry practice session before you get fatigued. Wearing yourself out will not benefit you at all. It will only make you sloppy.

• Target removal. Remove your dry practice target immediately upon finishing up your dry practice session. Never dry practice with any target but your dry practice target.

• Announcement. Say aloud “Dry Practice is over”.Once you say this the firearm can never be picked up for dry practice without starting at the top of this list and going through the process again.

• Re-holster/ re-box your firearm. Carry your firearm into the next room where you have stored your ammunition and return your firearm to its normal state of readiness. If you use this firearm for self defense it should be loaded, round chambered, safety on (if it has one) and returned to its usual location such as a holster, fanny pack, briefcase, nightstand or where ever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most modern centerfire firearms easily tolerate a hammer drop on an empty chamber. Certainly you never want to dry slam a rimfire.

Guest Greentimber

Before practicing imperfect weapons manipulation and thereby building imperfect habits, seek some high-end professional training. There are several good choices within a day of you. Billy Bob who teaches the handgun permit class isn't what I mean when I say that. :up:

Learn how to do it "right" then practice doing it "right."

Guest Phantom6

No sweat folks. Glad to pass along a bit of what I have learned over the years. I tell all my students to spend the time on dry practice rather than the money on live fire. Then when you go to the range every week or so you simply validate what you have been working on in your dry practice.

Greentimber alludes to several good points.

1.) Only perfect dry practice makes perfect. You can practice crap for 20 years and all you will ever become is a Crap Master! You need to know the proper training techniques in order to dry practice perfectly.

and

2.) It is rare indeed that Billy Joe Tom-Bob, the local deputy that supplements his 22k per year LEO salary teaching carry permit classes turns out to be a qualified gunner. In fact, with appologies to some LEO's I know, many cops have cobb webs and soot boulders in their barrels and have a hard time qualifying the first time around each time their department goes to the range.

Guest Phantom6
Hey Pahntom6,

Are you Austin? I just registered for the basic pistol and carry permit class in Oak Ridge for April 14th.

Nope. I'm his old man. :PAlso your lead instructor for that class. :up:

No worries mate. Looking forward to having you in class. :D

If the good Lord's willin', the creek don't rise and if the dump trucks don't sink trying to lay the road in, your class will be the first one shooting on our new range.

Guest Voodoo_1

Great checklist phantom6.

May I add, some handgun manuals caution dry firing your pistol without the use of snap caps. The Beretta manual recommends the use of spring loaded primer snap caps to cushion the fall of the firing pin and reduce the chance of firing pin breakage. I use these spring loaded primer snap caps during dry firing practice. Since they have to be manually chambered, I consider this as being one more safety step to ensure that the pistol is unloaded for dry firing practice. Thanks again for the checklist!

• 4 weeks later...