Reloads FTF Taurus PT140 Pro

Thought maybe it was just my pistol or that I was doing something wrong during reloading but I have seen a few others having the same problem. I'm getting several FTFs one the first trigger pull but usually if I pull again it fires on the second attempt. My buddy has a G27 that has no problems firing the same rounds. Using winchester primers with Hogdon's Titegroup powder I believe. Don't have it in front of me so I can't be 100% certain on the powder. I clean and oil my gun regularly. I don't have any issues with factory loads or even factory reloads (Ultramax is the only one I have tried). Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same problem with my pt145. It seems to be the firing pin isn't hitting the primers hard enough. The gun works flawlessly with factory ammo. I would also like to find the solution to the problem.

Guest Crunchman

Same thing on my PT145. If the primers are too hard or set just below the rim, you don't get a hard enough strike. Mine doesn't like S&B ammo because they use military grade primers. I also used CCI (I forget the # designation) primers and had the same results. On the WSP's make sure that the primers are seated flush with the rim and that should solve the FTF's (at least it did with mine). This is why I have gone back to the single action 1911 style carry pistols. They fire anything I put in 'em. I'm considering trading the PT145 in on a PT1911.

That's interesting... I wonder if it's not so much the strength of the striker as it is the amount which the pin protrudes from the breechface when in full stroke. I mention that because even the lightest striker springs I can install in my XDs will light off even the most reputably heavy-primered ammo I can find quite reliably (S&B, for example). I think that has more to do with it's deep stroke than the tension of the spring.

That's very possible. That's one of the reason I'm going to pull it apart. I've been wanting to clean that all out really good anyway. When I put my last primers in I didn't apply as much pressure as I had the previous ones. I should be getting to those rounds in the next couple of weeks. If cleaning that firing pin area out doesn't get it then we will see what the next set of reloads does.

Interesting change that has happened now. I pulled the firing pin assembly apart and cleaned it really good. When I put it all back together it seems like it fires correctly but when I dry fired it before it didn't have to be recocked. Now when I dry fire I have to cock it again. Maybe this is the way it is supposed to be. I know my buddy's G27 is like that but my Taurus hasn't. Did I put something back together wrong?

K. I figured out my other problem. I broke the larger spring in the firing pin assembly when I was putting it back together. The guide rod is plastic and I broke off the end of it. Anyone know if there is an aftermarket assembly that is not plastic?

That's very possible. That's one of the reason I'm going to pull it apart. I've been wanting to clean that all out really good anyway. When I put my last primers in I didn't apply as much pressure as I had the previous ones. I should be getting to those rounds in the next couple of weeks. If cleaning that firing pin area out doesn't get it then we will see what the next set of reloads does.

I will try this with mine over the weekend and see if it works for me.

• 2 months later...

finally broke down today and called Taurus. they said they were aware of a problem with using reloaded ammo and their solution was to not use reloaded ammo. I have to say i was impress with the amount of time it took me to reach someone. However it was disgusting. Ask to speak to someone else and was told i couldn't they would just tell me the same thing.

I wont be buying another taurus. Im just wish i had found this out before i bought 3 different ones from the company.