Ruger Speed Six, what do you know?

NV2TN

Winters coming and I am looking to carry something different. A wheel gun in .357 sounds nice to me!

I am considering trading my XD9SC for a 1982/83 (by serial #) Ruger Speed Six 2 3/4 stainless .357 with pachy grips.

I am throwing in a bunch of ammo and holsters/mag carriers for trade against the Speed Six and $200 cash.

I can replace the XD any time but I have always wanted a snub .357.

So I have a few questions.

If you have owned one what personal defense loads do/did you use. From my understanding it can handle pretty hot loads but you dont need that for protection.

From what I read doing a new trigger spring will increase the comfort of use. Any other mods that can be done?

Any other info or comments are welcome.

Thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your correct in saying your can always replace the SA SD9SC but if your trading it, holster's ammo and $200.00 cash for the Ruger Speed Six then your not getting a fair trade. I'd pass on it for now at that and wait until another time.

Now, that said, the Speed Six is a great snub nose revolver that can be one of the smoothest wheel gun's you've ever handled. It is a bit of a handful with full out magnum loads but not bad at all with +P or +p+ 38 Special loads. Unless you've spent a lot of time working with a wheel gun on the range, practicing reloads, etc. or were willing to do so I wouldn't recommend it as a SD/PDW carry handgun.

I would however, recommend buying it and shooting it, a lot, because it's such a cool hand gun. As to improving the action, unlike S&W K frames (which I love) the Speed Six can be improved by simply installing a Wolff Spring Kit at home and nothing else. That's what I like about the Speed Six and GP 100.

You might want to peruse the Blue Book of gun values on the value of the Speed Six. On the surface the Speed Six you are interested seems a tad high, regional variations in price notwithstanding. Speed Six is a good though, and I have had them, Security

Six and other .357 in that size range. Speer makes some short barrel ammo for snubbies, maybe there are other makers now. Using typical .357 or even +P .38 will create a nice fireball at dusk coming out of the barrel. INMHO 115grain Corbon +P out of your XD makes the XD a more potent and efficient self defense handgun, realizing increased capacity. On the other hand a Speed Six is a neat handgun that you can slick up the action yourself due to Rugers nice DA revolver design.

TNWNGR. NO, he is giving me $200 cash and the Six

Ohhhh, well that does change things a bit.

Rugers do not always get the same positive rep as many S&W's, but a Speed Six is every bit as nice of a revolver as most any other available. And, Rugers are made like tanks, meaning they are extremely durable.

Good luck with your decision.

Yep, You getting $200.00 extra does make a great deal of difference in the trade and the final choice is your's to make. My only onservation is unless you've shot and carried magnum snubbie's before you might be less than pleased with one as a carry gun. I believe you will love owning the Speed Six but prefer something different to carry.

What is a good deal?

Around $300.00 for a blued steel $350-$360. for a stainless would be very good. Most of us would prefer to pay a little less but these revolvers can go for a tad bit more. Don't be in a hurry because enough of these are out there to find if you look. Beside's there's also the GP100 3" fixed sight and the SP101, lot's of options. I'm a S&W man through and through but have a soft spot for Ruger revolver's. Good luck to you!

Guest TresOsos

All the benefits but none of the harshness .357 Mag 110 Grn Jacket Hollow Point.

The Winchester rounds at Wally World are good in this loading no need to go expensive or fancy.

Guest vantoo

As good a gun as any and better than most. Everybody talks Smith but they are no better, and probably not as tough. The Ruger is like an anvil, tough and useful.....and for 200 bucks to boot, I can't see you going wrong.

I did the deal and he happened to have 100 rds of +p Jacketed HP to boot. I am pleased with it. I have my Keltec in pocket till can get a better feeling for the six and a decent leather holster for it. Was going to go see what the gun show had untill we saw the $5 parking and figured by the time we got the whole family in I can just order off the web for anything I want!

I will be looking for a nice galco owb for it, the S&W K frame holster does the job too. I am also going to convert when I can find a spurless hammer. And do the spring mod and change out these grips.

Thanks to all who gave there opions.

Great! You've traded into a keeper that will be a lot of fun and give you great pride in ownership. If you've ever done any leather crafting then google Zach White Leather, they have some really nice pre-cut holster kit's at a fair price, well worth it for a winter project. Also, lot's of folk's have holster's they don't use any longer, put the word out and check add's and yard sales, well worth the effort.

Very nice indeed. Looking at the second picture chaps my butt. Nice looking gun and Ruger has to go and engrave a paragraph on the left side of the barrel.

Thanks. Yeah, noticed that too. There "disclaimer" Wonder if I can get a 2nd barrel and have it polished out to get rid of there junk?