Scope Question

dickenscpa

I've hunted and had guns all my life. I've just always used the scope that came on the gun and lived with it. I bought a .243 to ease my son into deer hunting but I can't get the scope zero'd in at all. I've got a bore lazer and this scope is all over the reservation. Juvy is this Saturday and I'd like to get it zero'd asap, but will more than likely buy a new scope.

My question is, what is a fairly inexpensive scope that uses thumb/finger knobs to turn and adjust as opposed to getting out a dime or small screw driver? I've lost and replaced more cover caps, stripped the head, etc. The scope that came on this .243 has about 4 clicks in each direction and hits its limit. It needs to go further. LOL! I can compensate and get a good group out to 100 yds, but I don't want to have to explain that to a 9 yr old. I'd rather put him on POA.

Also, can I use a red dot scope like on my xbow? I have a 3 dot site on my xbow and sighted all 3 dots within minutes.

TIA

Brad

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you can use a red dot. They are pretty good at 100 or less yards, much farther and you need an expensive one as the dot size vs the target become incompatible.... for example, with a 30 power scope, you can SEE a dime and hit it at 300 yards, but with a red dot sight, the dot at 300 yards covers up a good inch circle of target or more, making it difficult to shoot precisely. The pricy ones have very small dots that help this issue. For typical hunting ranges a red dot is fine, just take extra batteries out in the field. IMHO a scope that uses no batteries is better for hunting. BSA makes a nice cheap series of tatical scopes that have knobs instead of screw adjustments... in the $200 range I think. Several of the middle grade tatical scopes have that type of adjustment. Bore sighting is pretty bad, I have had it done 5 or 6 times and its usually on a poster board at 100 yards. My advice to sight in is to buy poster boards, get close enough to HIT the board, then move back and adjust. Ususally its inside the 5 inch ring with 10 shots or less and one box of 20 should have it in the bullseye every time. So start as say 25 yards, get the left/right close and the up/down to within 5 inches then move it to 100, it should be a quick up/down fix and a minor left right fix to finish up.

Thank you. Since I don't think I'll bow hunt the rest of the season, I might take that scope and just see how it does. I hunt on 635 acres but with the make up of the land, 100 yds is probably about as far as you can shoot.

With juvy this weekend and my anniversary the next, it'll probably be rifle for me here on out. I doubt I'll miss the scope on the xbow. If it works well, I'll pick one up so I don't have to switch them out.

I don't like worrying about batteries either, but this scope and my light use the same batteries and I keep an extra pack in a bag on my atv. I wear bifocals in contacts and have a lot of trouble picking up a black crosshair. The red dot gives me that contrast my eyes need. Just wasn't sure it'd work.

Thank you for your help.

Brad

Guest Broomhead

I'll throw this out...And probably get stomped for it.

UTG's quality has gotten better in the last few years. I have two that are both fantastic. If you'd like to meet this week, you are welcome to borrow the one on my spare 10/22. It's a 3-9x32 AO RGB Lighted Mil-Dot "Bug Buster" with finger turrets and plenty of adjustment. It's on some UTG weaver/pic rings. If you decide you/he like(s) it, I'll give you a good price on it. Hit me with a PM and let me know.

Also, on your current scope, make sure all of the screws are lock-tited and snug. That will usually make a world of difference. What brand is the scope on the rifle now?

Edited by Broomhead
I'll throw this out...And probably get stomped for it.

UTG's quality has gotten better in the last few years. I have two that are both fantastic. If you'd like to meet this week, you are welcome to borrow the one on my spare 10/22. It's a 3-9x32 AO RGB Lighted Mil-Dot "Bug Buster" with finger turrets and plenty of adjustment. It's on some UTG weaver/pic rings. If you decide you/he like(s) it, I'll give you a good price on it. Hit me with a PM and let me know.

Also, on your current scope, make sure all of the screws are lock-tited and snug. That will usually make a world of difference. What brand is the scope on the rifle now?

That is VERY nice of you Broomhead. Don't see how he could go wrong with that offer.

I've used many of the Leapers scopes. UTG is a trademark of Leaper Inc.

For the price it very hard to beat them. The turrets on them do not fell and sound of feel like higher end scopes.

But they do seem to hold a zero very well. I honestly think the lighted cross hairs need a little work as they are big pretty big. (I use Mil-Dot). The only other complaint I have with them is they don't seem to be as bright as others at dusk or dawn. Don't get me wrong they see well enough to get the job done.

All in all they are very good for the price.

For cheap, I'd have to recommend them.

Very nice of him. I looked at the link he gave and looked to be exactly what I was wanting. We're meeting at lunch today.

I've been having a lot of trouble with my eyes here lately. I'm a CPA sitting here at a computer and I can barely read. I've been to the eye Dr three times since March (two different Dr's) and we can't figure out anything. I need illumination. My Mom lost her eyesight in July 2000 so I keep a CLOSE watch on bloodsugar. Mine is perfect and I'm not in any diabetic threat. Didn't even have to have glasses 'til this year.

Don't know why I went off on that tangent. Looking forward to meeting Broom!

Brad