Land Owners -- Size & Price Per Acre?

Hey Guys ...

Looking at buying a couple pieces of land. 1 to build a house, and the other for shooting/hunting purposes.

Just wondering what you guys feel is a good size piece of land for shooting/hunting and what you might have paid per sq acre for it? Quite a few pieces of land I have found are around houses, or have a development near by, and i'd hate to have a stray round wind up where it shouldn't :)

Thanks guys & gals :)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same ideas as you do about 20 years ago. I found the perfect place. 15 years later a very large farm across the street from me is now a very large sub division. My once quite country road is very busy with speeders on a daily basis.

Good luck in your search!

Price per acre is gonna depend on where you are, the terrain, road frontage, amount of acreage, etc. Properties that cannot be subdivided often sell for less per acre. Mountainous acreage usually sell for less per acre. I suggest picking up a local Real Estate magazine and starting there.

You haven't really given much to go on, and as mentioned; there are 3000 variables/factors that determine the price of land.

Rough numbers to play with:

$600-2000/acre rough, unimproved, mountain land (not level) with few natural resources (no timber) and normally large parcels of 50-150acre+

$2000-4000/acre unimproved or farm land in the valley

$4000-10000/acre more desirable farm land up to nice smaller parcels (20acre) suitable for building your compound/mini-farm

*Disclaimer-

I don't work in real estate.

These figures are based on what I have personally seen offered for sale in Middle TN in the last 18 months.

Best advice?

Find a trustworthy agent that specializes in farms and acreage listings.

Figure out what your needs are, and how much you have to spend and let them do their job.

Two tips:

1) Check with your county tax assessor to determine what amount of acreage puts you into an agriculture tax rate. For example in Wilson County, 15 acres is the cut off. The tax rate is much lower once you hit that number.

2) for financing, check out Farm Credit Services. They have great rates and programs for land and rural home purchases.

Guest Lester Weevils

Rough numbers to play with:

$600-2000/acre rough, unimproved, mountain land (not level) with few natural resources (no timber) and normally large parcels of 50-150acre+

The sites I've seen out in SE TN I'd like as fairly remote scenic vicinities to live are decidedly not level and would probably not be amenable to farming, and it might even be a challenge building an access road and finding a flat spot for a house. But they are also heavily wooded. Are some of the heavily wooded "near wilderness" lands considered not good timber land? Or would any heavily wooded land be considered timber land?

Am not arguing, just curious. When I was a kid in central alabama, pine acreage seemed the main land that people would keep and periodically have thinned for profit, mainly pulp wood stock. The land I seem to like when I see it, tends to look like a mess of scrub hardwood, downed trees, underbrush, etc.

The sites I've seen out in SE TN I'd like as fairly remote scenic vicinities to live are decidedly not level and would probably not be amenable to farming, and it might even be a challenge building an access road and finding a flat spot for a house. But they are also heavily wooded. Are some of the heavily wooded "near wilderness" lands considered not good timber land? Or would any heavily wooded land be considered timber land?

Am not arguing, just curious. When I was a kid in central alabama, pine acreage seemed the main land that people would keep and periodically have thinned for profit, mainly pulp wood stock. The land I seem to like when I see it, tends to look like a mess of scrub hardwood, downed trees, underbrush, etc.

Dude, there are like 9234850934285 factors involved here.

Can you find a perfectly nice piece of ground with good timber for 1.00 an acre? sure, maybe.

I tried to give the guy some VERY ROUGH and general prices based on what I had seen around Middle TN.

As with everything in life...

Your experience may vary

Guest Lester Weevils

Sorry, wasn't trying to rock the boat. Am very ignorant about it. Just, ferinstance every time I've driven the back roads in Polk county it is so beautiful it makes me want to move out there. Its heavily wooded but didn't know if value as "timberland" would affect those rough mountainous areas price. I think some of the "wilderness" areas around the Hiwassee river have got kinda expensive, but there are many counties around here with low population and lots of wooded hills. Its been a daydream to move out somewhere like that approaching retirement.

In that case;

I own ~15,000 acres in California

I paid zero dollars.

:)

Coming from California, that has GOT to be Prime :) Very nice :)

Was it passed down?

I was looking at a piece of land here in Tennessee, it wasn't for sale, but it was a tract of land I thought was prime. Pulled the tax assessment, and the last Date of Sale was in the year 1815 ... :)

Seeing alot of large acreage tracts being passed down generation after generation ... I hope I can leave a decent chunk of land to my kiddo's some day :)

Coming from California, that has GOT to be Prime :) Very nice :)

Was it passed down?

I was looking at a piece of land here in Tennessee, it wasn't for sale, but it was a tract of land I thought was prime. Pulled the tax assessment, and the last Date of Sale was in the year 1815 ... :)

Seeing alot of large acreage tracts being passed down generation after generation ... I hope I can leave a decent chunk of land to my kiddo's some day :)

My family is very big into farming in Northern CA.

They have been farming in the area since 1937.

My family is very big into farming in Northern CA.

They have been farming in the area since 1937.

That's awesome .... I'm originally from SoCal, but loved driving up to NorCal every few years. Eureka and some of the smaller communities up there sure are beautiful!

I am certainly envious of your Cali acreage :)

All right we can make this easy:

Just buy the 15 acres up the ridge line next to me.

I have 45 (not counting where the house is) with a few cattle on it (Beef) slaughter a few every year

Mamaw has 20 (she kept when I bought)

King lives in Florida and lets us hunt his 35 acres

One neighbor has quite a bit and lets me hunt the crossing boundaries give or take 10 acres

Next neighbor has fence on my property (prior to surveys) lets me hunt around 40 acres of his un-cleared area on the adjoining ridge.

So that is 165 acres to hunt minus the top of the hill to put your house on.

So 160 acres, logging roads for access, free range beef at cost, gun friendly neighbors, what more could you ask for…..

Oh yeah not much in the way of work over hear if you want to make more than $9-10hr

A friend bought 100 acres in Grundy County mountains, not near anything good or useful - around 900 per acre.

Anything "north of Nashville" that is inhabitable, more like 5000 to 10,000 per acre. Like most things, the more you buy, the less you pay per unit.

Guest lostpass
Zillow is a great place to get values. Zoom in tight on the map and it will give you the zestimate. Also search for recently sold.

Sounds ideal. wish I had the dough