2012 AEDC Long-Range, Mid-Range Match Schedule

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can I get more information on shooting at one of these events or at the range? I have an M1A that needs to stretch it's legs. Unfortunately, I only have access to a 100yd range and I would like to shoot some longer ranges. I have shot my hunting rifles out to 400yds and enjoy the challenge but I'm not a qualified competitve shooter. I wouldnt want to really stink up the place trying to shoot at 1000yds to start with so maybe the 300-600 yd to start. Is it possible to go to the range for some practice beforehand? Thanks for any help!!

You just have to take that big leap, knowing that there will be dozens of people there willing and able to help you. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get consistent access to a local 1,000-yard range for practice, except maybe at Oak Ridge. New people show up and of course have some initial difficulty, but still have a great time. You just need to show up. That's it. The range is a National Guard facility so it's almost impossible to shoot there other than matches. That is why the first one or two matches of the year are practice matches. If you show up for the first time and stink up the place, then you will be exactly like every other shooter out there in their first attempt. People do shoot M1A's, but do yourself a big favor and don't bring 168SMKs, use 175SMKs or something else instead. Or just wait until 4/28 and shoot 300/500/600 on Saturday and 1,000 on Sunday.

Edited by Morpheus
Since I can no longer compete in pistol matches that involve running for the near future, I may look into this. Will my Barrett 82A1 be welcomed?

Unfortunately, no. F-Class rules state that rifles are restricted to a bore diameter no larger than .35 caliber, and also this specific range at AEDC does not allow 50 cals. Likewise, muzzle breaks are not allowed, and I doubt that you'd want to shoot a .50 cal 25-30 times in 30 minutes without any kind of muzzle break. If you happen to have a .308 with a bipod, you could compete in F-T/R class like a lot of new competitors do.

Edited by Morpheus
You just have to take that big leap, knowing that there will be dozens of people there willing and able to help you. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get consistent access to a local 1,000-yard range for practice, except maybe at Oak Ridge. New people show up and of course have some initial difficulty, but still have a great time. You just need to show up. That's it. The range is a National Guard facility so it's almost impossible to shoot there other than matches. That is why the first one or two matches of the year are practice matches. If you show up for the first time and stink up the place, then you will be exactly like every other shooter out there in their first attempt. People do shoot M1A's, but do yourself a big favor and don't bring 168SMKs, use 175SMKs or something else instead. Or just wait until 4/28 and shoot 300/500/600 on Saturday and 1,000 on Sunday.

That sounds good. I should be able to stink it up with the best of them :) It will be worth the entry fee just to show up and learn. How much ammunition should I bring? Is there a web site I could visit to give me the details? I would like to do some research. Are these matches shooting prone, so a shooting mat? bipods allowed etc.? I am very interested in getting started. Thanks for all your assistance!

That sounds good. I should be able to stink it up with the best of them :) It will be worth the entry fee just to show up and learn. How much ammunition should I bring? Is there a web site I could visit to give me the details? I would like to do some research. Are these matches shooting prone, so a shooting mat? bipods allowed etc.? I am very interested in getting started. Thanks for all your assistance!

Since this will be your first time and you'd need to sight in, you should bring at least 20 or so extra rounds beyond what you need for record shots - e.g. 60 shots for a 40-shot match. If you shoot your M1A without a bipod, then technically you'd be shooting prone (with a sling and coat ) and not F-Class. There are plenty of good websites:

AccurateShooter.com

Sign In - Long-Range Target Shooting

etc.

Since this will be your first time and you'd need to sight in, you should bring at least 20 or so extra rounds beyond what you need for record shots - e.g. 60 shots for a 40-shot match. If you shoot your M1A without a bipod, then technically you'd be shooting prone (with a sling and coat ) and not F-Class. There are plenty of good websites:

AccurateShooter.com

Sign In - Long-Range Target Shooting

etc.

Thanks for the links. Actually I do have a bipod and MilDot scope on my M1A. Guess I'll show up and shoot what class that falls into. I need to check out the ammo part of this. I have some M118LR, IMI, regular Lake City and some other decent Mil Surp is all I've shot. May need to get some commercial ammo just to be consistent. GMM or Black Hills 175's OK? Time to do some homework...thanks again

Hey, I'm planning on coming in January, this will be my first time shooting competitively and first time shooting 1000 yards. What equipment do you have to bring? I have a 308 remington with bipod, I also have a shooting mat. Is a spotting scope necessary? What else?

Also any other informaion for a first timer would be appreciated, such as what to expect. thanks, and I look forward to coming.

One more quick question, is a muzzle break allowed in any of the classes?

Edited by devin_hor

Since it would be hard for me to explain everything in a post here, I recommend you check out the links I posted above. A rifle, shooting mat, and bipod are mandatory for F-T/R, along with ear and eye protection, and a spotting scope would be a good idea if you have one so you don't need to borrow someone else's who might need it, but you could in a pinch. You should also determine your approximate 1,000-yard elevation/zero on your scope and make sure it tracks up that high, before attending the match. Also, do yourself a big favor and do not try to shoot 168 grain Sierra MatchKings (factory Federal Gold Medal Match or otherwise) at a 1,000-yard match. These bullets simply were not designed to function at that distance, and will cause you loads of trouble. 175 SMKs would be a much better choice, as would plenty of other bullets. Muzzle brakes are not allowed in F-Class or NRA prone matches. I don't make the rules, but we all have to abide by them until they change.

Edited by Morpheus

At any match, you can use a spotting scope while you are shooting. In F-Class, some do, some don't while shooting. For prone with iron sights, while shooting you generally must use a scope to see where your shots end up. While scoring for your partner, you will need a spotting scope to record the shots of the shooter. If you guys show up for one match it will all make sense very quickly. Just come out and we will take care of you.

Here is some more info for newbies:

There are three basic phases that make up the block of time granted to you to complete your 20-shot match (usually 30-33 minutes total). Prep time, unlimited sighters, and record shots. During this block of time, each shooter completes the three phases at their own pace and there is no group change from one phase to the next. Each shooter moves from phase to phase whenever they are individually ready, and if a particular shooter finishes all three phases in 15 minutes, then so be it. Note that at some matches, prep time (3 minutes) is a separate coordinated event, but we combine everything into one so the matches move along more quickly.

The first phase is known as prep time. This is when you bring your rifle to the line and get everything lined up, but do not fire any shots. Once you have everything all lined up and in place, you move on to the second phase - unlimited sighters. This is when you take your practice shots to get on target. You can get coaching, spotting, or other assistance or feedback during this time. Usually the fellow shooter that you are paired up with as your scorer will help you out here. These shots are usually written down but do not count towards your score.

After you have completed unlimited sighters, and any number of people have assisted you in getting on target to your satisfaction, you will then move on to Phase 3 - shooting for record. To begin shooting for record, you need to make the clear and distinct announcement to your scorer that you will now begin shooting for score. Once you begin shooting this uninterrupted string of 20 shots for score (for record), Coaching is no longer allowed. Your shooting partner will record your scores on the scoresheet. Your next 20 shots, no matter what, count for your score. Once you start shooting for record, you can't go back and shoot any more sighter shots.

When firing for record (20 shots after unlimited sighters) no one is allowed to give you any advice or feedback. No one can observe the wind for you and/or offer you tips on how to take your next shot. The person scoring for you can only say, "Shot 2 is an X" or words to that effect. They cannot say, "Shot 2 is an 8 at 9 o'clock. Aim a little more to the right because I just observed a wind change."

All that being said, your wife is certainly allowed to join you behind the firing line and watch you shoot, she just can't help you at all during shots for record.

• 2 weeks later...

Robert, what kind of rifle do you have?

I'm sure there are some serious weapons out there and at sometime in the near future I will invest in sometime more appropraite than my Winchester 70 .308.

I would ultimately like to do this.

a rifle that will most likely upset some of the shooters, i do need to e-mail jim about it. please note i am doing F-class for fun only. a 20" suppressered 5.56 using 77 grain serria OTM and 77 grain Nolser OTM. both are sub-sonic at 900 yards. i have shot them at 800 and group nicely but my wind read was off. i now have a fairly good spoting scope so that will help.

i got the bug to see if i could still hit at 1k about a year or so ago. and got to shot 1k at the Pro/Am using a Larue 308 AR. got 2 out of 5 hits. which i was and still am happy with, because the horus recticle was very overwhelming to me i do not even think about the shooting fundamentals.

but since i built this rifle i still want to give it a try. between the rain and crops i never got a chance to use it a 1k in 2011

Robert, what kind of rifle do you have?

I'm sure there are some serious weapons out there and at sometime in the near future I will invest in sometime more appropraite than my Winchester 70 .308.

I would ultimately like to do this.

i know what some will say, but if you shoot it well and can stay at MOA what is wrong with testing the waters with what you got? a 308 with a 3 x10 scope i believe it was, i know the 10x part is correct is what i shot 1k with 25 or so years ago.

i know what some will say, but if you shoot it well and can stay at MOA what is wrong with testing the waters with what you got? a 308 with a 3 x10 scope i believe it was, i know the 10x part is correct is what i shot 1k with 25 or so years ago.

i need to correct myself, i am sure you are just using a standard hunting set-up. SO YOUR SCOPE AND MOUNT WILL NOT HAVE THE RANGE.

sorry about the bad advise, i truly have lost most of my marbles, just glad i rememebered before some one less jumped in. but i will stand behind what i said about the rifle. but i am no expert.

sorry

You can shoot a .308 or a .223 with a bipod in the F-T/R class. Technically, it is illegal to shoot a rifle with a suppressor in an NRA match, but since this is just a club match on 1/15 it's OK. On the other hand, I can strongly recommend against shooting a round that you know for sure will be subsonic well before it reaches 1,000 yards. This will cause great frustration for the people pulling your target in the pits. The bullets simply go all over the place once they fall well below Mach 1, especially with a .223 in any kind of wind. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I would not want the guys in the pits to have to put up with this if it can be avoided. Remember, this is a competitive environment and there will be people there trying to get the best score possible. We will have current and former state and national champions in attendance. It's a great opportunity for everyone to learn, but a little more serious than just an ordinary day at the range.

Edited by Morpheus

i do understand, but the best i got will be about mach 0.94 and i do know even if it is a still day just the mirage on a slow bullet will give it hell.

i do not know for sure. just what the free on line tables tell me. i do have some more ASYM coming to test again, the last batch i had where right at mach at 1k if i get the same results that is what i will use. they should be here by mid week.

the 75 hornady super performance makes it but they will not group for me at all! i would be luckly to hit a watermelon twice at 200.

Guest ibavol
You can shoot a .308 or a .223 with a bipod in the F-T/R class. Technically, it is illegal to shoot a rifle with a suppressor in an NRA match, but since this is just a club match on 1/15 it's OK. On the other hand, I can strongly recommend against shooting a round that you know for sure will be subsonic well before it reaches 1,000 yards. This will cause great frustration for the people pulling your target in the pits. The bullets simply go all over the place once they fall well below Mach 1, especially with a .223 in any kind of wind. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I would not want the guys in the pits to have to put up with this if it can be avoided. Remember, this is a competitive environment and there will be people there trying to get the best score possible. We will have current and former state and national champions in attendance. It's a great opportunity for everyone to learn, but a little more serious than just an ordinary day at the range.

I could use some advice on my set up to understand if it is worth giving 1K a try. Originally set up to shoot out to 600yds but never found a place to shoot 600 locally. Springfield M1A loaded / bedded in a USGI fiberglass stock with cheek piece and bipod, Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x 40 mildot mounted with ARMS base and rings. GMM 175 SMK's. From everything I have read the scope should have enough MOA adjustment. It is zeroed at 100 yds. According to JBL calulator I will need approximately 38.8 MOA and the scope has 100 MOA total. Never really tried to dope the wind but it calculates a 10 mph crosswind causes aapproximaely 100 inches drift. Tell me if I'm thinking right by possibly using the mil dots to dope the wind given 36 inches from mil dot tomil dot as long as there is not much more that 10mph? Thanks!

I could use some advice on my set up to understand if it is worth giving 1K a try. Originally set up to shoot out to 600yds but never found a place to shoot 600 locally. Springfield M1A loaded / bedded in a USGI fiberglass stock with cheek piece and bipod, Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x 40 mildot mounted with ARMS base and rings. GMM 175 SMK's. From everything I have read the scope should have enough MOA adjustment. It is zeroed at 100 yds. According to JBL calulator I will need approximately 38.8 MOA and the scope has 100 MOA total. Never really tried to dope the wind but it calculates a 10 mph crosswind causes aapproximaely 100 inches drift. Tell me if I'm thinking right by possibly using the mil dots to dope the wind given 36 inches from mil dot tomil dot as long as there is not much more that 10mph? Thanks!

Your rifle should work. If you shoot out of a sling with a scope that would be NRA Prone Any/Any. If use affix a bipod that would be F-T/R and would use the smaller target. Read up on the websites I posted earlier for some hints and tips. It would be impossible for me to cover everything in a post here. Generally people do not use mil-dot scopes to dope the wind in Long Range matches like this.

Guest ibavol
Your rifle should work. If you shoot out of a sling with a scope that would be NRA Prone Any/Any. If use affix a bipod that would be F-T/R and would use the smaller target. Read up on the websites I posted earlier for some hints and tips. It would be impossible for me to cover everything in a post here. Generally people do not use mil-dot scopes to dope the wind in Long Range matches like this.

Thank you for all your helpful advice. Just one more question and I will stop bugging you..did i read correctly that all shooting in F-class is done shooting prone? I am planning on showing up providing my ammo comes in.