Advantage Arms gLOCK Conversion thoughts

graycrait

I posted this on another forum where some fella was having issues with his Advantage Arms Glock .22LR conversion kit. It may be of some use to someone.

I've had a half a dozen or more of the AA conversion kits, all for 9mm Glocks. They usually have gotten away from me when people I know have used them and couldn't get one, so I sold them mine. I currently have one each for G26, G19 and G17. I mainly accumulated them to help train my wife. No issues with them at all. My biggest issue with the AA conversion is that it is so light. I partially remedied that with a Seattle Slug brass grip void filler in all 3 of the Glocks I use the AA conversions on. A rail light also adds some weight. I also have the same sights on my carry Glocks as I do on my AA conversions.

I was mainly firing some pocket .22s this weekend using Aguila 60 grain SSS and got out the G26 w/AA conversion. It digested the long soft nosed Aguila 60 grainers no problem with no evidence of keyholing at short range, something another short barreled pistol I was working on couldn't do. (Yeah, I know about 1:9 twist vs 1:16). I am currently infatuated with 60 grain Aguilas. I would love to have an AA G19 conversion with a threaded 1:9 twist barrel. However, I have found that CCI Minimags are pretty reliable out of an AA conversion.

I have a fairly large bucketful of .22 pistols and have had many other, while getting to shoot a lot of different guns belonging to friends. If I want to shoot the staples out of my shooting partners targets I don't reach for the AA conversion kit. But to teach folks how to handle a Glock and have some cheap fun with an almost too light of a .22 pistol for its size, the AA works for me. For me the AA conversion is not a very good platform for making tiny groups. I think the barrel probably spits the bullets out well enough, but a Glock trigger on such a light firearm is not a recipe for consistently tight groups for me.

I have found that these things need to be clean and for me seem to run well on a relatively light lube, which I apply anywhere and everywhere friction occurs, especially that gizmo that slides in and out of the frame attached to the barrel. I use red transmission fluid on the AA kit. Unlike my Glocks the AA kits needs to be cleaned more than I like, but it is what it is.

If I want to shoot a light accurate .22 pistol that shoots a variety of SV ammo well I reach for a S&W 422.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My kit works fine for me, but I do clean it after every use and I usually shoot it about 100 rounds at a time. It runs 100% with Mini-mags, about 98% with Remington Golden Bullets in the 550 round Walmart value packs, and it is so poor with Federal that I won't buy anymore and what I do have I'll use in my AR with the Ceiner kit. My AA kit is reliable enough for me and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. This reminds me, I need to buy some a few more magazines for mine. I seem to rember reading somewhere that AA is working on 15 round, flush fitting magazines so I waited to order some more but I don't see them on their site. I'd rather not buy the 25 round extended mags...

Edited by JReedEsq
My kit works fine for me, but I do clean it after every use and I usually shoot it about 100 rounds at a time. It runs 100% with Mini-mags, about 98% with Remington Golden Bullets in the 550 round Walmart value packs, and it is so poor with Federal that I won't buy anymore and what I do have I'll use in my AR with the Ceiner kit. My AA kit is reliable enough for me and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.

This is almost verbatim what I was going to type. I've had an AA kit for a G19 since about 2008 and my only complaint is that out of the 20 or so magazines I have, they get retired or designated as a training tool (malfunction prone) faster than 9mm magazines do. I've got both the metal feedlip and polymer feedlip mags and see equal issues. My average per-use round count with the kit is probably 250-350 rounds per outing and I find that right around 150 rounds, it needs to be disassembled and at the very least wiped down and re-lubricated.

I use mine solely as a training tool for single trigger press drills, etc. since the kit obviously isn't representative of a full-power cartridge in multi-shot drills. Only modification I made was to put Heinie Ledge rear and Tritium front on it to match my 9mm slides.