Ruger LCP .380

tmck

I am looking for a small back-up and I am thinking about the new Ruger .380 auto.

I have several Rugers and I really happy with them.

I realize the .380 is a little weak, but I carry a Ruger 101 loaded with .357 mag's...the .380 would be a back-up. I have not got to see one in person yet. (all sold out and I am on several waiting list)

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. :)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Well you're probably gonna get this so I might as well throw it in there, have you looked at the Kel-Tec P3AT? Pretty much the same gun just for cheaper, been around longer, and comes with Kel-Tec's excellent service.

Guest GLOCKGUY
Well you're probably gonna get this so I might as well throw it in there, have you looked at the Kel-Tec P3AT? Pretty much the same gun just for cheaper, been around longer, and comes with Kel-Tec's excellent service.

i was going to tell him the same thing :)

Thanks for the ideas...but since I have my name on the waiting lists, I think I will go with the Ruger. I guess I was really hoping for support of the Ruger. I guess the Ruger .380 is still too new for anybody to have used it.

Guest bkelm18

Nothing wrong with Ruger. They make fine firearms. I just feel the LCP is a ripoff of the P3AT. I'm sure its a good gun as well just not my cup of tea.

Me again...The gun shop just called... My Ruger .380 is in and I am to pick it up tomorrow. What is the best and cheapest brand & load to practice with? What might be a good brand & load for self-defense? Price is not important on the self-defense load?

Thanks in advance... TMc

Guest Todd@CIS

For .380ACP, stick with FMJ for practice and defense.

With the POSSIBLE exception of the Hornady XTP, there is not a .380 JHP made that expands AND penetrates deep enough to be recommended for effective self defense.

FWIW, my general rule of thumb:

For calibers that can reliably expand AND penetrate approx 12" of calibrated gel...JHP.

For calibers that can reliably expand OR penetrate approx 12" of calibrated gel...FMJ.

We WANT expansion...we NEED penetration.

Edited by Todd@CIS
clarification
Guest db99wj

With the POSSIBLE exception of the Hornady XTP, there is not a .380 JHP made that expands AND penetrates deep enough to be recommended for effective self defense.

For calibers that can reliably expand AND penetrate...JHP.

For calibers that can reliably expand OR penetrate...FMJ.

:confused:

Hey, watch your filthy...oh wait........J/K :rolleyes:

Good to know about the .380.

TMCK, Be sure to give us a range report.

Edited by db99wj

I buy alot of target ammo from here: http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1686

Wolf is dirty and im not sure how it will do in that being I have never shot the Ruger,but it does great in all my others.

For calibers that can reliably expand AND penetrate...JHP.

For calibers that can reliably expand OR penetrate...FMJ.

:confused:

EDIT: that would make a great sig line :rolleyes:

I am looking for a small back-up and I am thinking about the new Ruger .380 auto.

I have several Rugers and I really happy with them.

I realize the .380 is a little weak, but I carry a Ruger 101 loaded with .357 mag's...the .380 would be a back-up. I have not got to see one in person yet. (all sold out and I am on several waiting list)

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. :D

We got three in today at Brighton Arms. I work there part time. They would be so easy to conceal. I can understand people wanting them.
Guest TNDixieGirl
We got three in today at Brighton Arms. I work there part time. They would be so easy to conceal. I can understand people wanting them.

What price did they put on them?

If it isn't against any forum rules, I can post a link to another forum where a guy has given a range report on the LCP. http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/500103904/m/4231094292/p/2 Look for poster mm6mm6 to read the report.

If it is against the rules, would a mod delete it please?

Edited by TNDixieGirl
Guest Steelharp

It and the Kel-Tec just do not work for me. My fingers are so long, I bump into my thumb on the other side before the hammer falls... and that's using the pad of my finger. If the trigger was reasonable, say about half the travel that it is, then it would be an option.

You know, I think this is a bit funny.

I am absolutely not putting down anyone who buys a LCP. It sounds like a good handgun from what I hear.

But I can't help wondering about some folks who wouldn't buy a "cheap plastic" Kel-Tec but are perfectly willing and proud to buy an older design version of the same thing as long as it has the Ruger name on it.

I'll recommend either one, although the very slightly smaller dimensions of the Kel-Tec would make that a preference. The difference between the Kel-Tec .32 and .380 is about 1/16 inch additional muzzle length. I had a problem with that. Adding additional dimension for the Ruger would make me go with the Kel-Tec. The P3AT barely fits, with a decent holster, into a jeans back pocket.

Bigger, in this case, is not better.

Guest db99wj

In regards to Keltec, I have heard twice in the last week, that Kel tec's have a life expectancy from 500 rounds to 5000 rounds. Then you might as well throw them away.....I have never heard this, then all of a sudden, twice in two weeks, both from Kel tec owners.

Should have asked to let me throw it away for them appropriately...haha, beat all of you to it.

In regards to Keltec, I have heard twice in the last week, that Kel tec's have a life expectancy from 500 rounds to 5000 rounds. Then you might as well throw them away.....I have never heard this, then all of a sudden, twice in two weeks, both from Kel tec owners.

Should have asked to let me throw it away for them appropriately...haha, beat all of you to it.

Mindless crap. They say the same about Seecamps, although some of that is confirmed by Seecamp.

If you ever fire 2000 rounds through a LCP, P3AT or Seecamp .380. you are a masochist who enjoys licking up your own blood.

Guest db99wj
Mindless crap. They say the same about Seecamps, although some of that is confirmed by Seecamp.

If you ever fire 2000 rounds through a LCP, P3AT or Seecamp .380. you are a masochist who enjoys licking up your own blood.

:D Good to know.

Guest darkstar

Actually the literature I got when I picked up a Kel-Tec PF9 said it's life expectancy was 9000 rounds. That was from Kel-Tec themselves. I got rid of the PF9, actually gave it to my sister just so she would have something around her house. I understand they are BUG's and not built to handle a ton of abuse, etc but that gun just looked and felt shoddy. Plus the barrel was pitted. I called Kel-Tec and they were like sorry not our fault you must have used something corrosive in it. So, so much for their awesome customer service. Thats fine, it wasn't terribly expensive and it still has a use (for my sister, who won't carry it but will just use in the nightstand) but I would never choose to give them any of my business again. I have since moved to a J frame Smith for a BUG. Not saying the Kel-Tec is a piece of junk, but to me their failure to back up their product speaks volumes. The gun had less than 25 rounds of WWB through it and was cleaned with some Hoppes #9, can't understand what caused it to pit....must have been a manufactoring defect that should have been caught before it left the factory

I got rid of the PF9, actually gave it to my sister just so she would have something around her house. I understand they are BUG's and not built to handle a ton of abuse, etc but that gun just looked and felt shoddy. Plus the barrel was pitted. I called Kel-Tec and they were like sorry not our fault you must have used something corrosive in it. So, so much for their awesome customer service.

The PF9 is not a BUG. It is quite capable of being a primary. Shot one the other day. It's not the equivalent of my H&K P7M8, but it's quite capable - and about a thousand dollars cheaper.

Kel-Tec is basically a machine shop - if a very big one. NASA is their primary business for Mr. and Mrs. Kelgren. I suspect they have steel suppliers with impeccable credentials. Having worked in the nuclear power industry, where consistency and conformity and certifiability are so important, I can can see where they would question pitted steel.

I haven't heard of anyone in a very long time say they didn't think customer service wasn't first-rate from K-T. I guess YMMV.

Guest darkstar
The PF9 is not a BUG. It is quite capable of being a primary. Shot one the other day. It's not the equivalent of my H&K P7M8, but it's quite capable - and about a thousand dollars cheaper.

Kel-Tec is basically a machine shop - if a very big one. NASA is their primary business for Mr. and Mrs. Kelgren. I suspect they have steel suppliers with impeccable credentials. Having worked in the nuclear power industry, where consistency and conformity and certifiability are so important, I can can see where they would question pitted steel.

I haven't heard of anyone in a very long time say they didn't think customer service wasn't first-rate from K-T. I guess YMMV.

Yeah...like I said I'm not damning them as a whole or anything, but based on my experience I would take my business elsewhere. I can't for the life of me figure out why the barrel would have pitted...I asked if they would simply replace it and they said no, so my only recourse is to speak with my money and make sure they never get any of mine again.

Yeah...like I said I'm not damning them as a whole or anything, but based on my experience I would take my business elsewhere.

Perfectly acceptable and reasonable per your view.

I can't for the life of me figure out why the barrel would have pitted...

Me either. Very strange.

Was it unusable because of the pitting? I don't guess you took photos. Since it went to your sister, can you get some photos? I'd like to hear Kel-Tec's explanation.

Guest durdensfriend

I just played with the LCP at my local store and its awesome! Fit right in my pocket! If they had one for sale I would have bought it right then and there... sadly, they only have the demo.

I just played with the LCP at my local store and its awesome! Fit right in my pocket! If they had one for sale I would have bought it right then and there... sadly, they only have the demo.

You ever tried a Kel-Tec P3AT? Even more awesome. :P