5.56 hollow point

Sorry if this is out there already... I searched "5.56 hollow point" and didn't see anything.

With most ammunition it seems everyone looks for HP or soft point. But with 5.56 just takes the regular FMJ. Is there a reason for that? I saw some Tula 5.56 HP in steel cases for about $0.24 each, so although it's steel case, it is cheaper than brass FMJ. What's the reason for no HP in 5.56?

I'm talking as far as ammo to have saved on hand in case of a disaster, for use hunting where legal, etc. Obviously for at the range I'll pick up some FMJ be it brass or steel. If you ever actually had to press the 5.56 into duty for self-defense or hunting, wouldn't you want the HP?

Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

what is the point of this in hollow point?

I'm not sure what you mean? Generally speaking, the more the bullet opens up after penetration, isn't it more effective? Let's say you're out in your field and a coyote attacks you and you shot it in self defense. Wouldn't a HP round be more effective (i.e. helping in your self-defense) than a FMJ round? Maybe it's a dumb question, but if it is, I didn't realize it.

Thanks.

not dumb, but I doubt it being hollow makes much difference. I have 7.62x39 rounds that are hollow. I don't know why they make them. They a forbidden in warfare, and it is a military round. I am not so sure how much extra is gained from it being a hp was all i was insinuating. Ther shock wave it was causes damage not expansion.

i am not sure what u are looking for but yes there lots of hollow points for 5.56, but it is almost all match ammo. black hills, SSA, federal and Nolser etc. and almost all if it is 68 75, 77 grain and hornady has a 52 i think.

PPU has the best prices on 68 and 75 but it is 223.

Change your search to .223 and you'll find what you are looking for. Federal, Hornady, Prvi Partizan, etc., all make them.

As far as necessity in anti-personnel ammunition, terminal ballistics in a round such as the .223/5.56 are different than say something like a .45 ACP. You want HP in handgun ammo to deliver the impact to stop or knockdown due to expansion. In smaller caliber rifle rounds, the damage is done through fragmentation and tumbling and also from impact of the high velocity round.

Probably not the most scientific explanation, but hopefully it makes some sense haha.

Ther shock wave it was causes damage not expansion.

Gotcha. I'm still learning the basics of this stuff. Although, I thought by expanding and creating a "wider" projectile, the bullet transferred more of it's energy. As in for example, when a bullet passes all the way through it might only transfer half the energy. But I guess in 5.56 it doesn't make much difference. It's actually a really tiny hollow portion anyway. I was more just wondering, since they are out there, but they aren't that common. Thanks for the info!

I saw an example when clay was shot. The bullet hole was slightly larger than the round. But once the pulled the outside of the clay away the cavity from the shock wave was huge.

And to be clear I was not saying your OP was not valid.

Some hollow points are made for accuracy, not expansion. The miltary has used Sierra Matchkings alot in sniper rounds. They're hollow points, but are still legal because they're not designed to expand on impact.

I'm guessing there is a lot of good loaded hunting ammo out there for .223 that would work real well as defensive ammo. I have a bunch of brass that will wind up getting loaded with some kind of thumper bullet at some point. I just haven't done the research yet. The sierra gameking is a candidate.

Some hollow points are made for accuracy, not expansion. The miltary has used Sierra Matchkings alot in sniper rounds. They're hollow points, but are still legal because they're not designed to expand on impact.

I'm guessing there is a lot of good loaded hunting ammo out there for .223 that would work real well as defensive ammo. I have a bunch of brass that will wind up getting loaded with some kind of thumper bullet at some point. I just haven't done the research yet. The sierra gameking is a candidate.

i have always wondered about that, i back many moons ago that HP were not a legal bullet in warfare, but as you stated they have been using the sierria's for some time now.

just my 2 cents but did try a 75 match style bullet on a deer, overly explosive poor pentation. the 60 grain Nolser partition does okay, but the 70 grain barnes tsx in 5.56 load by SSA. put them right down with a nice exit wound.

i have always wondered about that, i back many moons ago that HP were not a legal bullet in warfare, but as you stated they have been using the sierria's for some time now.

just my 2 cents but did try a 75 match style bullet on a deer, overly explosive poor pentation. the 60 grain Nolser partition does okay, but the 70 grain barnes tsx in 5.56 load by SSA. put them right down with a nice exit wound.

i'm a big fan of Barnes bullets. The 55 grain TTSX is on my list to try.