Nashville Airport

I was at the airport last night and I made it a point to find any signage that was posted because I know this has come up a couple of times. Where the signs are posted they are compliant with TCA verbage. That being said take notice to I said "where". I only found signs posted in the entrances to the ticketing area. I did not find a single sign posted on the doors to the baggage area nor is there any signs at the tops of any stairs/elevators leading to the ticketing area. If one was to go in through baggage then you would not see the signs. Whether you carry in there is up to you and the chance you want to take. May be able to get out of the misdemeanor but I'm sure they will give you grief.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 270win

But if it is legal to carry in the airport, then it is legal. The worst that can happen is being charged with the sign deal, but the sign law violation would have to be tossed because the signs are not compliant with the law.

I doubt anyone would notice a handgun on you concealed properly and don't try to go past the metal detectors. That is a heavy fine after dealing with usually a federal judge! At least those who mistakingly have a handgun are not handed felony convictions....a little bit of sanity in this country.

39-17-1359 is worded to allow the property owner to word the signs as to ban weapons on all or part of his property and the signs only have to be posted to the entrance to the part that he intends to ban weapons. He can ban them from the whole property by placing the signs at the entrance to the property as you turn of the public road. Or just the building by placing the signs at the entrances to the building. Or just a floor of the building or even just a room if the signs are placed at those entrances.

Of course I have no way of knowing, but maybe it was the Nashville Airport Authority's intention to allow people that may be coming to pick people up and help them to get their baggage to remain armed. Or....it could just be an oversight on their part as to not posting signs in that area and/or at the top of the stairs.

If anyone knows someone that works for the Airport Authority or the Airport Police it may be worth asking them. (LOL...in another thread I just said it's not a good idea to ask a LEO about the law. :D)

If anyone knows someone that works for the Airport Authority or the Airport Police it may be worth asking them. (LOL...in another thread I just said it's not a good idea to ask a LEO about the law. :D)

I wouldn't recommend that you go into the airport and ask a security guard if you can wear your gun in here though. :P

When in doubt, I will lock mine in the car before entering the building. That's even a violation at the post office I believe.

Guest GLOCKGUY
I wouldn't recommend that you go into the airport and ask a security guard if you can wear your gun in here though. :P

When in doubt, I will lock mine in the car before entering the building. That's even a violation at the post office I believe.

i did not know you could not carry in the post office. let me ask you this Dayton bought a building that has a bank in it and it is were you go to get your car registered can i carry in this building :D

i did not know you could not carry in the post office. let me ask you this Dayton bought a building that has a bank in it and it is were you go to get your car registered can i carry in this building :D

The post office has a sign warning about carrying in a federal building, and it does specify federal "property" so I assume you could get busted for having it in your car. But who's going to go home first just to leave your handgun at home and make a trip back to the post office?

I can get my registration plates at the bank in Pegram, that not a city or county owned building but a bank is another place I lock my handgun in the car because I'm not sure about the law on that. If the city of Dayton owns the building, I assume it's not lawful to carry in there.

The post office has a sign warning about carrying in a federal building, and it does specify federal "property" so I assume you could get busted for having it in your car. But who's going to go home first just to leave your handgun at home and make a trip back to the post office?

I can get my registration plates at the bank in Pegram, that not a city or county owned building but a bank is another place I lock my handgun in the car because I'm not sure about the law on that. If the city of Dayton owns the building, I assume it's not lawful to carry in there.

Don't want to turn an Airport thread into a post office thread.....but post office's have long been a debate. I don't have it all in front of me, but there is something somewhere that actually says a post office is not federal property, so they sign you see in most post offices about not carrying on federal property is correct, but you aren't on federal property.

As far as banks there is no law against carry in banks in TN. Unless the bank has a sign posted. Also from your post it appears that you may think that carry on any government owned property is illegal. That is also incorrect. There is no law that prohibits the carry on all government owned property. The only law that prevents carry that mentions government property is the one that prevents carry in parks, civic centers etc....that are owned by the government.

A good friend of mine is on the airport PD and we have had this discussion. Now until recently the signs were not posted properly although still not posted on all the entrances. He has told me you can only have it in your checked baggage. The other thing that might get you too is that there is an open bar right by the security gate.

Guest db99wj
A good friend of mine is on the airport PD and we have had this discussion. Now until recently the signs were not posted properly although still not posted on all the entrances. He has told me you can only have it in your checked baggage. The other thing that might get you too is that there is an open bar right by the security gate.

Can be another new topic, but I believe, because those bars are not owned and operated by the airport, they lease their spot "in" the airport, you can still go in, just not in the establishment with the bar. Like a hotel or a mall that has a restaurant/bar in it. I'm sure the "law guys" will come along and quote code to us:p

Guest canynracer

The Airport does not serve alcohol for "On site consuption"...the bar inside the airport might...but nobody is waling around with a glass of vodka..and even if they were, the AIRPORT didnt sell it to them.

:P

Guest db99wj
The Airport does not serve alcohol for "On site consuption"...the bar inside the airport might...but nobody is waling around with a glass of vodka..and even if they were, the AIRPORT didnt sell it to them.

:P

I saw a guy fall off a stool in the Memphis Airport back in November, I am surprised he didn't bust his head open. He stumbled up, seeing stars and tried play it off, the lady he hit on a few moments before was not impressed. They cut him off after that.. he puffed up his chest, but his friend calmed him down. The flight was delayed so he got drunk....good reason I guess. After I finished my Corky's BBQ sammich, I went to my gate, where same guy was laying in the floor passed out..err I mean asleep.

But anyway, yep, separate property, and you can't take alcoholic drinks out of those bars or restaurants, they are only allowed in those establishments.