ETSU introduces students to Firearms

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jcoyle6

MTSU has a range on campus. It Army ROTC, indoors where they practice basic marksmanship on .22 caliber AR-15s. Its the building just west of the Forrest Hall. Unfortunately it is not open to the rest of the student body

My daughter and two ladies I work with went to ETSU and got their Handgun Permits. They all loved the class. At the time I didn't even know ETSU had a range on campus. It came as a total shock to me. I wonder how many other State Colleges have shooting ranges.

Unfortunately, only ROTC, the Marksmanship Club, and the Marksmanship classes can make use of the range. Granted, $10 or whatever the semester dues are for the club is pretty cheap, but campus regulations on firearms make it a royal pain to take your own weapons to the range. The school owned .22LRs are a lot of fun, but I like to practice with my carry weapon more than I like to play with Anschutz target rifles.

Guest Phantom6
My daughter and two female friends I work with got their Handgun Carry Permits at the ETSU Firing Range. At the time I had no idea there was a firing range on the campus. That was a shock to me.

I was worked an instructor class up there which mainly consisted of ROTC instructors last year and not even the folks working on campus knew the range was there under the half-dome. Best kept secret on campus. :)

MTSU has a range on campus. It Army ROTC, indoors where they practice basic marksmanship on .22 caliber AR-15s. Its the building just west of the Forrest Hall. Unfortunately it is not open to the rest of the student body

I was the senior NCO teaching there at MTSU a few years ago.

One of my duties was training and oversight of the unit's match team.

I spent a lot of really hot and really cold days in that range.

(its not conditioned :D )

Excellent. We teach the carry permit class on our campus 1-2 times/semester and I just taught an NRA Refuse to Be A Victim seminar on campus yesterday. The college has no problems with either. I'd love to have a range on campus...

Guest DocShipley

My wife took the firearms class when she was a student at ETSU about ten years ago. She loved it! I think its great to give folks a chance to learn how to use firearms safely and get college credit for it. I still remember my 8 hour firearms "orientation" in the USAF. It was ok for people who had handled a gun before but terribly inadequate for the newbies. Of course the thought of Air Force support officers (like medical and dental) packing heat is scary enough! :D

Guest jackdog

sounds great to me. I think this gives non gun folks a chance to see that guns are not evil, but merely tools. Wish more schools did this more often. It would really help our side when it comes to how fire arms are looked at by those that have never been around them.

Guest EasilyObsessed

I took "Handgun Familiarization" as one of my PE credits through Tennessee Tech. Counted as the class for my HCP as well :P

I dated a girl who shot air rifle and small bore competitively. She originally got a scholarship to Nebraska, then tried to come back to WV but they dropped their rifle team I think due to finances. I've been to the range at WVU and Ohio State. She also placed 13th in the 2000 Olympic trials. Thank god she only shot at non moving targets :)

• 1 month later...