Attention Glock experts; my first Glock malfunction/G22 magazine question

JReedEsq

OK, last night I had my first ever FTF issue with one of my Glocks. I've had a Glock 19, 26, 17 (4th gen) and 22RTF for a few years and they have all worked with every kind of ammo I've tried and even as a new shooter I've never had a problem with limp wristing etc... I recently purchased a Streamlight TLR-3 and tried it out on my Glock 22 last night with a variety of ammo. I was aware of reports that various LE agencies had malfuctions with the combination of a Glock 22 and a tactical light. It's widely circulated on many forums that the addition of the light on .40 caliber glocks can somehow stiffen the frame, causing the slide velocity to change just enough to cause feeding problems. Apparently a few LEO agencies actually switched back to G17s from G22s because of this problem. I searched and searched and couldn't find the problem reported with 9mm Glocks, .45 Glocks, or with 4th gen .40s. I also found two solutions. The first is that some people only have the problem if they overtighten their lights. I noticed that my streamlight packaging has bold instructions to hand tighten only. I followed this instruction and I was optimistic that the lighter weight of the TLR-3 and the light tension would keep me from having problems. The second solution was updated magazines from Glock with stronger springs and different followers (marked "8" or "9").

So I get to the range, put on my light, load a magazine with 180 grain Federal and had two failure to feeds in the first magazine. Sure enough, it's marked with a "5" on the follower. It looks like a brand new magazine but I think I got it online cheap so it was problably "new old stock". My other three mags are marked "8" and I didn't have one issue with them. I fired about 40 rounds of the 180 grain Federal fmj, two or three magazines of 135 grain HST; one magazine of 180 grain Golden Saber; and one magazine of 165 grain Gold Dot. No issues at all. Still, I went home and put the light on my G17 which is where it sat all night til I took it off to carry the 17 today.

Anyway, here's my question: Brownells and Midway etc.. Don't have #8 or #9 followers in stock and even if they do I run into the problem shown here:

Glock Magazine Follower - #8 .40 - Top Gun Supply

This says the new followers won't work in the older magazines.

Should I only use the light on my G17 or should it be OK with the 22 since I had no problem with the newer magazines which Glock changed to address this issue?

I prefer to carry my 17 (26 in the summer) and use leave the 22 in my bedside "quick safe". Why? Because the RTF 22 sometimes gets snagged on sportcoats etc... which isn't good if you like to stay concealed. I don't want to get this thread side-tracked on caliber but I usually have the G22 stoked with 135 grain HST as my HD pistol and with 180 grain Golden Sabers for hiking.

What do the TGO experts have to say? Can I replace the follower in the old mag or not? Does anyone have a lot of trouble free rounds through a G22 with a light? I'm not asking about a caliber discussion or for opinions on Glock in general. Please don't tell me "you're always better off with something that starts with a 4" or "you're lucky you haven't shot yourself with that stupid plastic gun". I just want to hear experiences of whether the updated magazines solved the problem and whether or not I can use a new follower in an old magazine.

Edited by JReedEsq
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a big fan of pistol-mounted lights, because wherever your light goes, your muzzle goes. Therefore, I don't have any experience with lights on the two G22's I've owned. As you've already noted, though, the problems are well-documented, so making compensatory changes is not something I'd even consider if I intended to carry the weapon for self-defense. My advice? Keep the mag and lose the light. Get a good handheld light and train with it (using the Surefire technique, et al.).

I say take the problem out of rotation. Put that mag in your bag or toss it whatever u do dont put in the same drawer as your defense/carry mags. I am not sure on the followers but if they are super cheap get one and try it in your mag at the range put about 100 rounds through it. If all good, I would trust it! Secondly I have had Glocks but only have Sigs now because I like an all metal gun. I carry my Sig P229 with a TLR-1S at night and in the house. Keep your finger off the trigger and your gun won't fire where the light is unless you want it too. There are plenty of agencies and civilians alike that use pistol mounted lights. This is just my opinion. :)

Edited by k9wh91984

You've proven to yourself (or at least started to) that your "8" mags work with the ammo you plan to use. Just because Glock changed something to correct a perceived problem does not mean you should avoid the corrected issue. That's the point of making the correction, so that it will no longer be a problem. I say run more rounds through your mags of choice, whatever it takes for you to be confident in reliability, then use it like you originally intended. I also agree to keep the "5" mag somewhere else.

I'm not a big fan of pistol-mounted lights, because wherever your light goes, your muzzle goes. Therefore, I don't have any experience with lights on the two G22's I've owned. As you've already noted, though, the problems are well-documented, so making compensatory changes is not something I'd even consider if I intended to carry the weapon for self-defense. My advice? Keep the mag and lose the light. Get a good handheld light and train with it (using the Surefire technique, et al.).

I sense a little thread-drift here but what the heck. I share some of your concerns. That's why I keep a separate light on my dresser. I've also made my first pistol light purchase inexpensive see how comfortable I am with this set-up vs a separate light. Honestly, I like the fact that the pistol light keeps my finger on the light switch and not on the trigger when/if I'm walking around. If I hear my dog barking at 2 AM and I think it's because there is a cat on my porch, I can use my handheld light and keep the pistol pointed at the deck. If glass is breaking at 2 AM; I'll leave the light on the dresser and grab an extra magazine.

Edited by JReedEsq
Guest Frank37820

I had a similar issue with the same light/magazines. I was able to find the updated followers at a RK gunshow in Knoxville for a few bucks a piece. Never had a problem again. However, I agree with the other posts about using a separate light. It is far better to learn the proper way to use a hand-held light and gun in conjunction with one another than to have a light attached to your gun, it's just far more efficient. But opinions are like........well you know that old saying.

I believe you have correctly identified a problem magazine as the culprate for your FTF. Please save yourself the time and worry by simply replacing it with a new one. I see absolutly no reason to replace factory followers and springs in an old factory mag that begins to develop problems.

I have a G22 in a bedside safe with an M6 light/ laser. I understand the argument for working with a separate light, but I just don't want to be fumbling for a light in the dark while trying to identify a target. My light also has a momentary switch that can be activated by your left thumb without adjusting your grip.

I have 8 mags for the 22 and checked the 2 next to the bed. One has a 5 and the other a 6. The pistol is a Gen 4. I have never had an issue with the light, but only practice with a light a few times a year. I need to make sure all my mags run flawless. Any that don't will be replaced. I did put blue base plates on all my 9mm mags to identify them in the range bag quickly. You could buy a $1 base plate in blue or orange for the bad mag, but I think I would just get rid of it.

Like you said this is a known problem. The #8 follower, according to the Glock parts list, will only fit in magazines that had a factory supplied follower of 6, 7, or 8. Glock 22 magazines come with 10 coil magazine springs. If you have a tac light mounted on your pistol you need an 11 coil magazine spring (part # SP02551). My parts list is a couple of years old so they may have an updated part number.

Call Glock, (770) 432-1202, and tell the operator you need to speak with someone in warranty service. Explain the problem and tell them how many mags you have. The worst case scenario is that they will send you new followers and springs if you ask nicely. The best case scenario is that they may send you a new mag. If you put the 11 coil spring in your mag that may fix the problem.

Make sure you have your pistol's serial number when you call.

Parts orders from Glock generally take between 2 and 6 weeks to come in.

If you are impatient you can also buy the magazine springs here http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=5#148 part #75271

If you have any problems send me a PM. I have already talked to Glock Warranty Service twice this week.

Remember that Glock wants your pistol to work properly and for you to be a happy customer.

Edited by Karnage
I believe you have correctly identified a problem magazine as the culprate for your FTF. Please save yourself the time and worry by simply replacing it with a new one. I see absolutly no reason to replace factory followers and springs in an old factory mag that begins to develop problems.

This is what I'll do. As usual, I am over-thinking something.