CZ VZ 82 Consideration

I completely disassembled the gun, there are good instructions here: http://myweb.cableone.net/leolani/cz-82-disassembly.html

I stripped the original finish by blasting with medium grit aluminum oxide. The only other physical metal prep I did was lightly softening the trigger guard edges with a fine needle file before blasting. They were somewhat sharp.

I treated the bare metal with K-Phos 4000 Cold Phosphate followed by KG Gun Kote 2400 in flat black and brushed stainless applied by airbrush. These are heat-cured finishes (I used an old toaster oven).

The CZ-75 mag baseplates fit with zero modification.

• Like 1

Thanks for the instructions on the dis-assembly. Great after I find one of the pistols I'll get started on this. My mother has been wanting to get her CCP and I think one of these would be a pretty good little gun for her, so I'm going to try and get it done before her birthday. Oh and awesome job on yours, what paint did you use on the sites? Just regular model paint or something close? Another thing, do you know who around Knoxville would do the blasting? I don't have that setup.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

My first refinishing on this gun was a simple reblue job. I used Jasco paint stripper and a soft wire wheel and buffing pad on my Dremel.

Second time, I let somebody else do everything. I got it stripped, bead blasted, and Cerakoted for just over $100.

I used a simple hopper-fed blaster from Harbor Freight (~$20 on sale), and blast media from Northern Tool. Pretty inexpensive if you have access to a compressor.

The biggest challenge of the whole project is the reassembly - study the instructions carefully.

Oh that's not bad at all. Yeah I have access to a compressor. I was assuming that you were using one of the sand blasting boxes. I've been re-reading those instructions like no other the past two days. Did you also blast and re-paint all of small pieces as well?

I've been re-reading those instructions like no other the past two days. Did you also blast and re-paint all of small pieces as well?

I think when it was said and done, I refinished 16 or 17 parts, all black except the frame, barrel, and extractor, which were done with the brushed stainless. I only refinished the parts that were externally visible when reassembled.

Although I primary used the instructions I previously posted for dissassembly/reassembly, the instructions at this site are helpful too, especially with the sear reassembly and tuning/polishing some of the action parts: http://sailorcurt.co...ng-part-1.html/ (link to part 1, there are links from there to additional sections).

Curt was a lifesaver on the magazine release. I was so grateful I bought his DVD. Good SKS tips, too.

• Like 1

Curt was a lifesaver on the magazine release. I was so grateful I bought his DVD. Good SKS tips, too.

Right. The grinder method to reduce the spring tension on the mag release worked great. That with some careful polishing makes it feel like a buttery smooth mechanism. I think the other area I focused on was the safety, which he provided great tips on smoothing.

I did not know he had a DVD, I will look into it.

• Like 1

I used the SailorCurt when it came to removing/installing the slide stop spring. Not sure I'd have gotten the darn thing back together so easily without his awesome turorials.

I didn't even look at his mag release step until now. His method of lightening the spring is much better than cutting off coils. In fact, I'd say it's a pretty brilliant idea in its simplicity.

Since I just started reloading 9X18 ammo, I anticipate shooting my 82 a lot more than ever. I'm definitely gonna lighten that mag release spring this weekend to save me some wear/tear on the mag release button.