Rem 700/Ruger 77 Hawkeye/Savage model 10?

Guest Tim1077

Guest Tim1077

Looking to buy a .308 bolt action tactical rifle. Want a bull barrel. Not looking to hunt, just to put holes in paper at a few hundred yards on a bipod or sandbags. Can't decide which model to go with, so I figured I would throw it out to you guys for some opinions...

Any input is greatly welcome. I'm not looking to snipe rats at 1500 meters, just a good rifle for the money.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical.aspx

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeTactical/models.html

Can't link Savage website, but Model 10 FP-SR

Also, any input on a decent scope? Don't really need a mil-dot reticle, but would like the external knobs to adjust windage/elevation without unscrewing any caps or covers.

Thanks, I'm sure there will be no shortage of opinions on this. =)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear a lot of good about the heavy barrel Savage varmint/tactical/sniper-style bolt guns. I have a Remington 700 Police .308 and would definitely recommend it. In fact, a friend has an identical rifle on gunbroker right now. I forget what he wants for it, but I shot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with 147 grain DAG (German milsurp) and a cheap scope. PM me if interested. Don't know too much about Rugers, other than my dad's pencil barrel 1980s M77 (pre-Mark 2 or whatever) was an absolute tackdriver with one particular handload, but was very average with everything else. I hear more people bragging about their Remingtons and Savages than I do about their Rugers.

As for scopes, I would go ahead and get a mil-dot or something similar. They usually don't cost much more, and they are pretty neat when you learn how they actually work. Another friend had a Bushnell 10x40 tactical with turrets that he was happy with. IIRC, it is a $300-ish scope. I have a Leupold Mark 4 on mine, but we are talking about a scope that costs more than the rifle. Not sure what your scope budget is.

I have a Savage model 10 precision carbine and Leupold glass. I'll never be good enough to push this rifle to its limits. I'm amazed by its accuracy and how smooth it is every time I get it out. I've had Ruger M77s and Remington 700s and in my opinion, the Savage beats them both by a long shot.

ured I would throw it out to you guys for some opinions...

Any input is greatly welcome. I'm not looking to snipe rats at 1500 meters, just a good rifle for the money.

That line right there makes SAVAGE the best rifle for the money.

I personally like Ruger Rifles. But, I have no problem admitting the Save is just as good. And in some ways better.

Savage Accu-Trigger beats the Ruger M77MKII. But even the Non-AccuTrigger is decent.

I had a model 110 (.223 Rem) one time that did all I asked out to 150yards. After that my scope was a bit small for the critters.

On a side note: Savage uses the 1/10 twist rate. And that is a good thing if you plan to use Heavy/Long bullets.

Not that the 1/12 is bad, but at least you have the option to move up in weight and yardage if you ever want to (Think 600+ yards)

Also if you ever plan to hunt with it, I would NOT get a heavy barrel.

Ask me how I know. Ok, here is how. I have a Ruger M77/MKII in .223 V/T.

It has a heavy barrel and heavy stock. It SUCKS to carry around the field when hunting Groundhog.

So, I now find the highest hill and sit and wait. No more stalking those things for me. I'll use the .17HMR for that.

Edited by TnShooter83