A little info please

I am kinda considering getting started in the cap & ball revolvers. Was just wondering how much it will cost, where to find the guns, & what necessities I would have to have to get started??? I've always been fascinated by these guns & would just like a little info.

THANKS

PS i'm not in a hurry, i'm workin on an AR at the moment, but still want to know. This will probably be next!!!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XD,

A pound of powder (280 shots on average) - about $20

A tin of #10 caps - (100 shots) - about $6

Balls - box of 100 .44's - $10

Powder Flask w/measure spout - $20

Dixie 1851 Navy 44 - $200 (brass frame cheaper, steel frame better. your call)

Total Cost: About $260

Sure, BP specific lubes and cleaners would be nice. Lube saturated patches (wonder wads) are nice - but what ya gotta have, is this list.

Prices taken from Dixie Gun Works (www.dixiegunworks.com) as of today.

Mark how many grains of powder is in a pound?

I must be wrong but I thought I was getting more than 280 shots from a pound.

Dixie is a real good source, Cabelas is good too. There is a place called Possibles Shop ( I do not have the link on this PC) that is a good source too.

Try to buy primers and powders locally so you do not get stuck with a hazmat fee.

I do not use wonderwads, Crisco works great as a grease over the balls in the cylinder.

45acp cartridge is about 30 grains of fff BP, a .40S&W about 20 grains. I use Lee Powder Dippers. 1.3CC for 20 grains

Edited by Mike.357

Mike, 7000 grains to a pound of powder. I figured in quite a bit of spillage. Thanks for that link to THR, I can already see some paper cartridges in my future. I'm already planning on casting my own balls, gotta get a lee mold on order, I'm told the RCBS dipper is better for casting. I have a cast iron kettle around somewhere, and if I look real hard, I might find a coleman stove, which will do fine. I'll probably convert it to profane eventually, to cut cost. In fact, I have an electric pot I got in a swap sometime back, but it isn't very large.

e638re2.jpg

Edited by Mark@Sea

Mark your numbers on shots per pound were about right then. I do a lot of shots at 30 grains and the rest dowb to 20 grains. so 250 or so looks right.

I tried the paper cartridge thing one time, I did not do very well. I think I need a JoB 1.5 papers to do a better job. Of course I like to mess with different amounts of powder as I shoot just to see if i get different results.

Kind of funny, the 1873 I have has a booklet that says "max load is 30 grains, but that is only for hunting and showing off, 20 grains is ideal for target shooting"

Well if I am for the showing off when shooting the holy black, LOL. I do lower the amount a bit when shooting the substitute powders like Pyro and Goex Pinnacle

When you go to try casting I would like to watch and see how you do it.

Is bass-pro a good plack for this hobby

so-so at best. Better than nothing. They do sell revolvers, rifles and supplies. But they are not my first choice as far as sources for balls, caps and powders. Never bought a gun from them either.

xd, I just received a pistol from DGW - fast service, fair prices, no complaints. Went to basspro a while back, wouldn't recommend - prices are too high.

Lee website has molds in the various calibers. Suggest you buy your gun first, then mike the barrel, as a few thousandths difference can make a big accuracy difference. Lee molds are available in a wide range for each caliber, going several thousandths to either side.

I do recommend you look for a local shop for caps and powder, as the hazmat shipping fees will hurt.

Dixie Gun Works is great to deal with, I have bought supplies and odds and ends from them.

I recommend sticking with Pietta or Uberti as far as buying revolvers. Pietta is generally less expensive and Uberti a little more. Both are good guns though.

I have one Uberti and I can see where they are just a touch ahead of Pietta.

But my '58 Remington Pietta is hands down my favorite pistol.

Can't realy go wrong with either.

BTW here is a link to Possibles Shop. I have not bought from them before but I know a few people who swear by them.

http://www.possibleshop.com/

The 1873 SAA , while a bastard gun, is great. I max the loads in it for full show off effect :rolleyes:

I think it is priced as good or better (pound for pound) as any BP revolver I have seen.

I still like the Remington best though. I think it is because of being able to do preacher like quick cylinder swaps with it, LOL

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=P382tsARVdM[/ame]

His is a cartridge conversion but it is still the same thing

Nope, the link you want, Mike posted a little while back...

great deal at Cabelas

on an Uberti 1873 .44 BP revolver.

Never seen on of these before, it is not in Uberti's catalogue or website.

Was not at Cabelas two weeks ago, last time I scowered their website.

Pretty good price too. They even include a loading base for under $250 bucks. What a deal!

s7_216473_imageset_01?$main-Large$

Uberti 1873 Cattleman's 5.5" .44 Cal. Black Powder Pistol

$239.99

Yep thats the one. I don't know where you are getting the 1K revolver at, LOL

I don't think I am dropping that kind of dough on any handgun.

The 1873 SAA is sort of a bastard gun as it was never originally produced as a percussion pistol. But the thing packs a wallop when stuffed with 30 grains of fff BP or an equivilant amount of a BP substitute. It shoots a .454 ball and uses #11 percussion caps. (I prefer Remington caps as they are easier to pinch but CCI work ok too.)

• 5 weeks later...
Mike, 7000 grains to a pound of powder. I figured in quite a bit of spillage. Thanks for that link to THR, I can already see some paper cartridges in my future. I'm already planning on casting my own balls, gotta get a lee mold on order, I'm told the RCBS dipper is better for casting. I have a cast iron kettle around somewhere, and if I look real hard, I might find a coleman stove, which will do fine. I'll probably convert it to profane eventually, to cut cost. In fact, I have an electric pot I got in a swap sometime back, but it isn't very large.

e638re2.jpg

Expecting a blackout, are we?