Hog hunting trip open invite

Mods please move to "Gathering's and Events" if needed.

There are two of us right now that are going hog hunting in Alabama this weekend(3/10-3/11) and wanted to open this up to anyone interested. We are both amateur hunters wanting to enjoy the experience and learn from others as we go. This is an unguided hunt, GPS dependent though.

This will be the third trip to the Bankhead National Forest, Sipsey Wilderness area. Both times before we have struck out, only seeing rooting and wallowing everywhere. We know that we are in the right area, per wd-40. It’s now a matter of timing, luck, and sheers numbers of hunters.

We are planning to arrive and hunt just before sunset. Then car camp and get up early to catch these buggers after feasting all night. If no luck through these two methods, the third is to stay through Sunday afternoon and try to flush them from the ridge tops.

The total trip costs are gas and license, $40.35 for the non-resident small game, and the usual road trip items. It's about a 2 hr drive south from Franklin.

Hope to see meet some of you.

Hunter

Edited by Johnny_Utah
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to go. Working this weekend. The Sipsey Wilderness is awesome. I like hunting feeding/rooting areas at daylight and wallowing areas midday. The thickest stuff in the area is also a good buy.

Can't make it this weekend, but I'd probably be up for another time.

Shoot'em in the neck!

With the warmer weather, you may have some luck hunting water sources mid day and late afternoon. That's where I'd focus my attention. Hogs have to water up when it's warm.

I would love to go! Let me know if I need to contact anybody! Can I buy the license online? I have a Tahoe to sleep in and would be willing to let someone else ride down there with me!

Can you night hunt in Alabama?

Sorry to all for the short notice. This is a special seasonal hunt, only March 1-14. You can purchase your license here: http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/licenses/ I purchased the non-resident small game 3-day, make sure you activate the license accordingly. There is no night hunting. Most of the hikers in those parts seperate their food from their campsite at night. check out the following site for all regulations: http://www.outdooralabama.com/hunting/land/wildlife-areas/Finalized%20WMA%202011.pdf

If anybody going has had success before, then I would take your advise on where to park, walk, camp, etc. Other than that, I have a pretty good idea where to find a crazy amount of signs.

We will leave Franklin around 3pm on Saturday. Car camp it that night and go from there.

PM me for contact info and I'll arrange things.

Hunter

Guest adamoxtwo

Can't make it this weekend, but I'd probably be up for another time.

Shoot'em in the neck!

With the warmer weather, you may have some luck hunting water sources mid day and late afternoon. That's where I'd focus my attention. Hogs have to water up when it's warm.

Whiskey,

I can't go on this short notice either, but if anyone is interested in planning another weekend I am game for that!

On this site is it described as Black Warrior WMA? That is the only one I see on the site for the area.

http://www.outdooral...0WMA%202011.pdf

you are correct about Blackwarrior as the WMA. It is located inside the Bankhead National Forest, which has the WMA inside it. I believe the WMA is divided into an "A" and "B" sides. Then inside the WMA their is the Sipsey Wilderness inside the "A" zone.

Basically, this is a triple secret location. Sipsey inside Blackwarrior inside Bankhead. Call me, lets get this going. I'll send you a PM

Hunter