I need a scope recommendation

There are so many scopes out there to choose from, and after searching for almost an hour on the net I don't know what I've looked at already and what I haven't. I am looking for a scope to fit on my 20" AR15, preferrably 1x-4x magnification and with something to help me know where to aim at different distances such as bullet drop marks. I'm not sure about how to use mildots, so maybe a scope to help me with that if nothing else? All I've used is red dot scopes but it's time to change it up. I will be using this for target shooting at distances between 25 and 200 yards.

My budget is limited to $300 right now :-(

Edited by jwolf4
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Leupold Mark AR is what I have on my 20" AR. Unfortunately it's a 3-9, not 1-4 magnification. Or you could go with an Eotech and magnifier if you're only going out to 200 yards, but that's out of budget.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

mildots, on the cheap end, tend to be set for a single power and not be quite right at other powers. However they are pretty easy to use: if you can see a known object (a human, a car, your 6 inch target, whatever) you can "measure" the object in mil dots in the scope to guesstimate how far the object is. Then you can know a few points (50, 100, 200, 500 yards for example) of adjustment by memory. So you measure the human sized cardboard cutout target, its 2 mildots high, so its at say 200 yards, you use the 200 yard adjustement that you know, and its all good.

personally, I have trouble seeing the dots, and if I focuse to see them, its harder to aim. IE I have trouble getting my eyes to see all the stuff I need to work one. I do not care for it and do just about as well with just ye olde crosshairs.

You can get a lot of scope for $300. I would forget the brands and focus on getting a good warranty instead.

Not sure about the drop marks; I thought they were sort of generic and you just learned them for your gun, caliber, and ammo combination. A 223 at the ranges you list is going to be pretty good if you just sighted it in at 50 or 75 yards, and good enough to hunt or do self defense with no adjustment. Only if precision shooting would you really need to adjust it -- and even then, on ours its only 1 mil dot difference across those ranges (2 total, that is, +- 1 dot).

Edited by Jonnin

http://www.grscinc.com/crs.html

You might be able to look around and find them for a little less. This guy has put a lot of work into making these scopes. The reticle was unique when it was first produced. He does hold the patent for horseshoe type reticles.

I know they have sold hundreds on AR15.com and I have never heard a single complaint.

Millett also makes a decent 1x-4x within your budget.

This is of mine from a post a few years ago so most of the links probably will not work but you can see the scope name. They were all under $250 and most under $200. I think any of them would work well for you and your budget.

The ones linked to samplelist.com are dead but there are some from optics planet.

Here are a bunch that would be fine, some new from opticsplanet and some used from SWFA:

Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy XLT Rifle Scope DEMO-A

Bushnell 1-4x32 Banner Dusk & Dawn Shotgun Scope DEMO-B

Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle Scope DEMO-A

Swift 1.5-4.5x32 Premium Rifle Scope DEMO-C

Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope DEMO-B

Weaver V-3 1-3 x 20 mm Matte Black Duplex Hunting Rifle Scope FREE S&H 849400.

Swift 1.5-4.5x32mm Premier Waterproof Matte Riflescope - 648M Rifle scope FREE S&H SRP648M.

Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5x32 Rifle Scope Matte Multi-X 711545 Riflescope FREE S&H 711545.

Bushnell Banner 1-4x32 Rifle Scope Matte Circle-X 711432 Riflescope FREE S&H 711432.

Vortex Crossfire 2x20mm V-Plex Reticle Riflescopes CRF-13-P FREE S&H CRF-13-P.

I wouldn't feel undergunned with the majority of the ones on the list. They provide enough magnification for an AR. As a matter of fact I have been looking for a lower powered scope for one of my guns so this let me do a bit more looking around at what is out there.

A decent set of rings that aren't QD or something else crazy can be had for under $30. I have also used two seperate rings for years without issue. How do you think everyone did it before the fancy one piece rings came to market?

Found a few more I would consider reliable for under $200.

Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Riflescope $149

Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7X32 $149

Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5-4.5x32 $179

Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm Riflescope $189

Millett 1-4x24 Designated Marksman Scope $199

Even though it is out of stock I am gonig to try to see if any of the other vendors will price match this one:

Bushnell Trophy 1-4X24 Riflescope Illum. 4A Reticle Matte $166

A lot of these Burris scopes on this page and the following pages are good enough. Most are well under the $200 mark:

Burris Scopes at Natchezss

You will have to look around because Natchess doesn't ship to Tennessee. This should give you a good list to narrow from.

Dolomite