Jackson TN?

Guest Victor9er

Guest Victor9er

We're not from here (TN) but we live in Chattanooga right now. We may or may not have a job opportunity open up for us in Jackson, TN. I know next to nothing about this city aside from it's location.

Can anyone give me some info? How big is this place? Anything of interest there? Are the schools any good? What's the crime like? Housing/Rental situation? Personal experiences (in general)? etc, etc.

Thanks.

Edited by Victor9er
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I unload/reload there on a reasonably regular basis and this is my basic take on it (Please keep in mind that I'm a truck driver and yours or other's mileages may vary): Mid-sized town, small town feel, pretty neighborhoods in some areas, not so pretty in others. Decent economy - not booming, but certainly not busting either. Wouldn't move there without a darn good reason, but wouldn't hesitate if said reason presented itself.

Not much help, I know, but I tried. Good luck!

Wife's uncle has lived there for a long time. Cousin (his son, my age) grew up there. The above descriptions sound pretty close to me. I had a job opportunity there several years ago, but just couldn't talk myself into it. Too flat, too far from the coast, and too much bad weather for my tastes.

Edited by peejman

I unload/reload there on a reasonably regular basis and this is my basic take on it (Please keep in mind that I'm a truck driver and yours or other's mileages may vary): Mid-sized town, small town feel, pretty neighborhoods in some areas, not so pretty in others. Decent economy - not booming, but certainly not busting either. Wouldn't move there without a darn good reason, but wouldn't hesitate if said reason presented itself.

Not much help, I know, but I tried. Good luck!

I've lived in Jackson for over 20 years now. The description above is fair. Public schools are a problem. Most people do one of two things: 1) send their kids to a private school, or 2) they move to Medina. Medina is just across the Gibson/Madison county line and has excellent public schools. For parents working in Jackson, it is only a 15 minute drive. Jackson did see a huge growth spurt in the 90's. Lot's of residential and commercial development. We have a ton of restaurants, mostly chains but a good selection. We also have a big medical community. I think the healthcare here is good. We also have a branch of the University of Memphis that offers 4 years degrees. I have raised my family here and I'm pleased with the results. Let me know if you have more questions, I'll be glad to try and answer them.

Guest Victor9er

If you think Chattanooga is hot and steamy in the summer, you ain't seen nuthin yet. :)

Bah, I grew up in Louisiana... I know all about hot and steamy! :)

Thanks everyone... pretty much confirmed what I had been feeling about it. I guess we'll just have to wait on the offer to come in and see if it's worth it to us or not.

Guest rockytop

I just saw this and think I can offer an objective view. I have lived here the past 45 years, but am not a native Jacksonian. It has many advantages of a large city; malls, restaurants, motels, but the feel of a medium sized city(approx. 25-30 min. drive, city limit to city limit No.-So). It has a good diversity of manufacturing with many major automotive related companies, food manufacturers, supply industries, etc.. Good; CityGovernment Leadership, Fire and Police protection. Double A minor league Baseball Team. Taxes are fair to good. As others have said, the public schools seem to always be in turmoil. Several highly rated Private schools in the City. Very good Higher Education opportunities with a two-year State School and three-four-year colleges/universities in the city and two more within approx. 30 mile radius. Many nice living areas and some not good at all(like all cities).

"All in All", I think it is a good place to live and raise a family, otherwise I would have left years ago.

I've grown up/still live in Jackson but went to school in STL. When I left Jackson (in my very early 20's with a bad attitude) I swore that I'd never come back but after living in STL I realized I like the medium/small town atmosphere. Were close enough to Memphis and Nashville that a day trip isn't bad. I don't have much need for big malls, concerts, pro sports, etc. so Jackson suits my needs. There are very nice areas to live and not so nice areas. Jax970 and Rockytop gave very fair descriptions. I'll pm you with my contact info in case you want to talk more.

Edited by The Scullinator
Guest Victor9er

Thanks again, I appreciate all the info. As of now we're still not sure if we're going to even get the offer at this point, but it is a strong possibility. If we do then we'll have a decision to make for what's best for both of us. If we get to that point I'm sure I'll have a few more questions to throw at you guys. I'll PM ya'll if needed. Again, thanks!