Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact 9mm or Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact ??

Newman

Need your thoughts and advice on an upcoming purchase:

Which do you prefer and why: Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact 9mm or Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact 9mm?

About me, I have mostly shot rifles and shotguns and about a year worth of pistols (9mm and 45's).

I will be going next week to get my carry license and looking to purchase a carry pistol and looking at the 2 pistols above. I have rented and tried out the XDM Compact 3.8 9mm and liked it, but see some great reviews about the Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact 9mm also. No one here has the PX4 that I can try out though.

They are 2 really different guns and wanted to know if anyone has some suggestions, thoughts and ideas to help me with my purchase.

I am sure I will have some follow up questions as your thoughts come in.

Thanks,

Newman

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a px4 sub (.40) and sold it.

The good:

accurate, reliable, and such.

adjustable grip was nice.

recoil was not bad --- 9 will be very gentle

rugged and well made.

easy to clean etc

the other:

typical DA/SA trigger is average.

safety level is a unique fishook design, that not only is 100% assured to snag anything nearby, but adds 1/4 an inch of width to the already fat gun.

It is extremely fat for its size.

All in all, a good gun but even after grinding the safetys off it was still too fat for my carry tastes.

I replaced it with the CZ RAMI.

The XD is a very nice platform, I have shot a couple but someone else can comment on those. I dislike the ones with grip safety, that is one of the worst 1911 features and dragging it to another model was a mistake IMHO.

Guest nysos

XD's are good shooters, but I don't prefer them mainly for high of a bore axis it has. Part of the benefit of having a striker fired gun, is being able to get the bore axis low for better recoil management. Have you looked at some other offerings - glock, s&w m&p compacts, walther pps, sig, etc. ?

Between the 2 you list, I would probably go with the XD - the px4's I have shot just never felt good in the hand to me. It seemed really fat, trigger was mediocre, etc.

If you post a list of "requirements" for your pistol, I am sure people can chime in some suggestions.

Wants:

To carry concealed.

Not a full size.

Not terribly heavy.

Comfortable to wear (not in pocket).

9mm preferred (so wife can use at home and range if needed) but will still provide great power.

Something around or under $500

I am thinking that the Springfield will not be as "safe" to carry, due to the lack of safety features (no manual).

Guest nysos

Guns w/o a manual safety are just as safe as those with them. Don't let a manual safety set the mentality that "oh, its ok because it has a safety". Good holster that fully covers the trigger, and always keeping it holstered is going to be the best way to keep it safe.

I personally feel safer carrying a striker fired gun without a manual safety, than a cocked and locked 1911.

Are you wanting a double stack or single stack?

Edited by nysos

Wants:

To carry concealed.

Not a full size.

Not terribly heavy.

Comfortable to wear (not in pocket).

9mm preferred (so wife can use at home and range if needed) but will still provide great power.

Something around or under $500

I am thinking that the Springfield will not be as "safe" to carry, due to the lack of safety features (no manual).

Safety (the device!!!!) is over-rated. The px4 has one, sure, but the first shot is a 5 or 6 pound pull across more than an inch of travel (just like most other DA/SA guns). A glock will go off before the PX4 will if you pulled both triggers.... and glocks are considered to be "safe". The only time you need a safety is a short trigger, really. Even a light but very long pull is safe enough (glock, again). I do not feel the need to use the safety on a DA/SA gun.

I would ask... striker fired, DAO, DA/SA, SAO preference? Capacity? Assuming roughly 6.5 or less by 5 or so by thinner is better? Lots of midsized and smallish 9mms for that rough price, so narrow it down is good.

As stated above. I'd decided first if you want the same trigger pull every time or a gun that is double action on the first pull and then single action. If you like a consistent feel check out the Glock 26; Smith & Wesson M&P9c; Smith & Wesson M&P Shield; and Walther PPS. If you want a DA/SA trigger you might consider the Sig P239. There are lots of options....

the grip safety on an XD is really a non-issue, IMO.

reason being, with a proper grip it is completely depressed (i.e. completely flush with the main housing. It does not protrude out like a typical 1911. It does not provide any load on the palm of your hand.

Additionally, the spring on the grip safety is extremely light; you probably won't even feel it.

I shoot a Springfield XD9 (service). It is a great gun, extremely reliable and has great point/shoot ergonomics. It is striker-fired with consistent trigger pull each time.

definitely sounds like there are some more preferences you need to decide upon first, but XD would be a good choice.. . .for sure.

I owned a Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm - It really looks cool and seems well-made, but I found it to be a mediocre shooter and too fat for good concealed carry. My Springfield XD on the other hand, was much easier to conceal, and a pretty good shooter. There were also a lot more holster options for the XD than there were for the Beretta.

Guest bkelm18

Probably the only thing I dislike about XD's is the high bore axis. To me, it just makes the gun look odd. Like you've got an 18-wheeler parked on top of your frame. I've never really handled a PX4 so I can't compare them.

I have 3 Beretta PX4's, 2 full sizes and 1 sub compact. I have owned and fired I belive almost every brand and type of pistol there is to be had and can tell you that a DA/SA pistol will serve you just a well as any of the striker fired weapons, just look at the classic Sig line. I can a PX4 every day and have been very happy with it, but really don't listen to all of the advice here, go and shoot these pistols and find the one that fits you the best.

I echo the above post. I carry a Storm subcompact everyday and love it. 13+1 rated +P+ is real hard to beat. Beretta has been making guns for almost 500 years, so even though they are not the popular flavor of the day they are still very good at what they do. It really does come down to trying them out and buying the one that fits you best.

Research and word of mouth tells me to hold off on the Beretta's....

My preference in the need/want for a manual safety cancels out the Springer...

Might be going to the Ruger SR9C. I have not seen anything negative about this gun at all and it feels great in my hand.

Thanks to all for the replies,

Newman

If you are looking again at different stuff..

Take a look at the cz rami. Best midsized/smallish 9mm I have owned, DA/SA with cocked & locked option, manual safety, short mag is 10, longer mag is 13 or 14 and improves the grip.

SR9 seems to be a solid choice as well, I have not had a chance to try one yet.