Good AR books for a noob

Greetings to all, I have an itch for an "EBR" but know little about them. I was reading a thread about building vs. buying and was trying to decide about the two options. I can not find that thread, but it had mentioned a good reference book for AR's. Which one (or two) is a good one to get?

Thanks,

Bob

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sling

I'd take a visit to AR15.com.

You can pretty much find everything and anything about AR's there.

I've never gone by books on the subject so i dont know what to recommend...but of course if you have any questions i'd be happy to answer them. ;)

Sling,

One question I did have was about 5.56 vs. 6.8 I know 5.56 will be less expensive to shoot and more commonly available, but the 6.8 will have more energy and potential knock down power (of course with proper placement) Any opinions one way or the other?

Bob

I know the question was directed at sling, buy I'll give my $0.02 anyway...

If I could only have one EBR, it would be 5.56, mainly for the reasons you stated, the round is less expensive and more commonly available. Since most people regard their AR to be, atleast to some extent, a SHTF rifle, availability is a biggie!

If having more than one is an option, get both!

Guest The Cat

As far as books go, grab The Book of the AR-15 Volume 1 and 2 by Patrick Sweeney.

Very very very worth it. That boy's been around an AR or two.

Guest tnvol
As far as books go, grab The Book of the AR-15 Volume 1 and 2 by Patrick Sweeney.

Very very very worth it. That boy's been around an AR or two.

Good call. Both are really good books...

Guest sling

6.8 v.s 5.56? Hmm.

Well lets compare:

The 6.8 is based off the old 30 Remington and is somewhere between a .22 and a .30 as far as velocity is concerned. 6.8 clocks in at around 2,350 fps - 2400 fps with a 115 gr bullet. (note the heavier bullet as compared to the 5.56's most commonly used 55 gr - 62 gr) whereas the 5.56 ball usually clocks in at the ballpark of about 3200 fps or faster depending on propellant, rate of twist, etc.

If i'm not mistaken the 6.8 was developed to hit with greater energy at "modern day" combat ranges as compared to the 5.56.

In all honesty, its pretty much a "mini me" of the 7.62... without the recoil obviously.

However, with the 6.5 Grendel on its tail as a competitor...and a good one at that...i just dont know.

In all honesty, i'd stick with 5.56 when it comes to AR's. Its cheaper, has a higher velocity, bullets and brass are plentiful (if you reload)... heck half the time i just pick up brass at the range, and the round has been proven over many years.

Or for that matter... look at the 6.5 by Alexander Arms. I think ammo (and the upper for that matter) is more expensive than both... but man is it mean. :death:

Edited by sling
Guest The Cat
The Cat,

Suggestions for anywhere locally (Nasvhille) I could pick the books up?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

I don't know specifically about Nashville, but I got mine at Barnes and Noble so I know they carry 'em. You might find them at Books A Million too - check out their 'Sporting' section.

You may actually see Sweeney's Gunsmithing books there too - I can recommend his 'Rifles' book as it has an AR section in it.

If you're like me, you Want It Now, but if all else fails you could try Amazon.

This is for Vol 2 - they don't seem to have Vol 1 which is odd for Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-Book-AR-15-Vol/dp/0896894746/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211373189&sr=8-1

The 'Rifles' book:

http://www.amazon.com/Gunsmithing-Rifles-Patrick-Sweeney/dp/0873416651/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211373189&sr=8-3

Guest The Cat
6.8 v.s 5.56? Hmm.

In all honesty, i'd stick with 5.56 when it comes to AR's. Its cheaper, has a higher velocity, bullets and brass are plentiful (if you reload)... heck half the time i just pick up brass at the range, and the round has been proven over many years.

:D

+1 on that!

Guest The Cat

Oh and BTW, you may be a newbie but you are NOT a 'noob'.

You ask questions and pay attention to answers.... n00bs don't have sense enuff to do that :D

Guest sling
Oh and BTW, you may be a newbie but you are NOT a 'noob'.

You ask questions and pay attention to answers.... n00bs don't have sense enuff to do that ;)

+1 :eek:

Ok, so more questions! If I were to build one, what pieces would I need? What is included in a "complete upper", a "complete lower"? It appears that I would need a barrel, roll pins and sights with the above items to have a functioning AR. Is that correct?? I need to go and look for the book tonight.

Thanks,

Bob

Guest The Cat

AR's have four main parts:

Upper receiver/barrel assembly

Bolt and Carrier assembly

Lower receiver - includes the trigger, hammer, etc.

Buttstock - which includes the recoil spring and buffer.

There are hundreds of combinations and options you can have. Numerous barrel styles, upper receiver configurations, buttstock types, etc.

If I were you, this is how I'd build an AR. Check these items out - I'm using Bushmaster as an example.

bm-upperm4.jpg

Upper Receiver - M4 style (this price includes the bolt, carrier, and charging handle.

Price:$590.00 Part No:PURA2B 16M4

buttstock-m4.jpg

Buttstock with Buffer Assembly

Price:$106.95Part No:1005-087-8988-PK

wrench.jpg

Telestock Wrench

Price:$6.50Part No:223-TELEWRENCH2

manual.jpg

M16 Maintenance Manual

Price:$11.95Part No:TM9-1005-319-23P

bm-lower.jpg

Lower receiver assembly (This is the part you'll have to get from an FFL - you won't be able to order it.)

Price:$280.00Part No:ALOW W/OSTK

Prices are for reference only - other brands/locations can and will have better prices.

Now, you may get lucky at a show or something and either equal or beat that price by purchasing a complete rifle.

However, you'll have more understanding of your AR by building it from major components than if you bought it outright. And there is NO way that you can ever be too familiar with your weapon :eek:

Guest sling

This pretty much sums it up as Cat beat me to it.

A Complete upper is that.... it comes with all the parts in that department...usually. Make sure you order the upper WITH the bolt and charging handle...

For whatever reason companies like to put a uber cheap priced upper on the net only for you to find out that you have to spend another 100 bucks or more on a bolt and handle...

Next you might hunt for whats called a "lower parts kit." This includes all those little bitty peices (pins, trigger groups, etc) that you just cant wait to drop on the floor and lose them under the stove, in the carpet, etc.

Finally comes the stripped lower reciever. As cat said, this is an FFL item so it must be bought at a dealer. There are a ton of manufactures. Double Star, DPMS, Saber Defence. etc. Pick one. They're all pretty much the same.

But of course there is the stock that you have to purchase... forgot that. Dont go too fancy on your first build right off the bat. Use the basic parts first and then work your way up to "cooler" parts as time goes on. Its easier on your brain... and your wallet.

Thanks for the replies guys, you answered the question. I had seen "complete uppers" some that included the barrel and some that did not. I guess it depends on where and who you buy from. And it appears that with nearly all things... Buyer beware (read.. do your homework). Thanks for the replies again and I will pick up the book this afternoon and begin reading.

Thanks,

Bob

Guest The Cat
Also checkout.....

http://www.m4carbine.net

Alot of good info there.

However be aware that there are KoolAid drinkers on that site who only think that Colt, LMT, Sabre or Noveske can make a good AR. :D

Yeah. And beware of the microphallic flame wars there too - not as bad as arfcom but getting there.