Why do you NOT carry a gun?

Guest Shay VanVlymen

Guest Shay VanVlymen

In the other thread on carrying posters gave good responses why they carry a gun.

I'm willing to bet that there are a few members who by choice do not carry for whatever reason. Would anyone answer why they have chosen NOT to carry a gun?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my dad has his HCP and does not carry because he's concerned about the civil and criminal liabilities involved. He got his so he could easily transport his gun to and from the range without having to worry about separating ammo and weapon in the vehicle.

Guest jcoyle6

What saintsfanbrian said, I carry whenever and wherever I legal am allowed to do so.

I don't carry where the law says I can't. Not by choice, but by the fact that I obey the laws (usually, does speeding count?) regardless of how much I dislike them.
Guest Jason F.

I do not carry because I really am never anywhere I can or need to carry. I can not carry to school and I can not carry to work. I can not even leave it in the car when I am out during the day and might be on campus.

Would I carry to work if I could? Probably not as the environment neither has much need for it or would be looked upon favorably as I am in a service role. With a the school being a State run school and property there is really no point in discussing whatifs since there never will be any change to that law that I can foresee.

Guest surviveg27

I did not carry to work for a time. But then I wised up, re-read the employee handbook. No mention of firearms AT ALL, so I started carrying.

We did have an incident at work that the company had an UNARMED guard posted at the front entrance, for a whole week. The incident was basically a lovers quarrel and he managed to get into the building before it opened to put flowers on her desk. Needless to say, several co-workers were assuming that I was packing (I did not confirm then, and still deny that I am) and said if SHTF they would be at my cube in an instant. My response was only "If you are in fear of your life now, why are YOU not armed?" And I simply walked away.

I don't carry. I've considered it, but I'm just not sure it's for me. Varying reasons:

1) Not sure I want to worry about keeping track of a loaded firearm all day. Although honestly, once I get to work I'd probably put it in my desk till the day is over. Then pack it up and head home. During the work week I rarely do anything other than drive back and forth to work with the occasional stop at the gym.

2) My overly curious 3 year old worries me. My 10 year old would be fine. But the 3 year old is a one man mini wrecking crew. I'd hate for him to get hold of a loaded pistol. I know that should never be a concern if I am acting responsibly, but the thought is there.

3) I am a very non-confrontational guy. I'm not crazy about having people eyeball me if they see me with a gun. I typically wear Dockers and a golf shirt to work. Not much way to hide a pistol with that getup.

All that being said, I'm very on the fence about the issue. I can definitely see the arguments in favor of it, I'm just not sure about me. :-\

Guest jackdog

Shay: Perhaps A better question should have been should you carry. There have been any number of good responses to your question. I personally do not feel that carrying a weapon is for everyone. If your worried about lawsuits or criminal action you will probably hesitate if the need arises, which is not the proper action. There are people out there that litterly could not pull the trigger if they had to. In the above two instances these folks should not carry. I'm sure that someone will bring up mindset and training, both of which are good things but they will still not over ride a persons conscience or personal convictions. There are a lot of people on this board that do carry, and feel that yeah they could shoot if they had to. Unless you have actually taken human lives you just don't know. I use the plural form here because a lot of people can do it once, but past that they freeze up. I can think of a few on the board who would not think, or blink but pull the trigger,but only a few.

jce

After what happened in Stewart county two years ago, I would not want your current position.

I drive a Special Ed bus now, so I don't worry about some deranged school kid getting "payback" for me writing him up, most of my kids are either under 5yo, wheelchair confined or incoherent.

But I drove a regular route at the time of the Stewart Co incident, and wondered "what if" quite a bit, I found myself watching the

older kids more, but the backpacks they carry could hold a small arsenal

and you wouldn't know it.

My other concern is the "soft-target" vulnerability of a schoolbus for a terrorist attack, although it is most unlikely around here, still I think

school personel should be allowed to carry, including bus drivers.

JCE

Guest jackdog

JCE, after reading your post, something occurred to me, we are being thankful that our governments both federal and state allows us the privilege of sometimes being able to exercise a god given and constitutional right to defend ourselves and keep and bear arms. The whole idea that anyone can tell us where and when we can exercise these rights is sickening.

I drive a Special Ed bus now, so I don't worry about some deranged school kid getting "payback" for me writing him up, most of my kids are either under 5yo, wheelchair confined or incoherent.

But I drove a regular route at the time of the Stewart Co incident, and wondered "what if" quite a bit, I found myself watching the

older kids more, but the backpacks they carry could hold a small arsenal

and you wouldn't know it.

My other concern is the "soft-target" vulnerability of a schoolbus for a terrorist attack, although it is most unlikely around here, still I think

school personel should be allowed to carry, including bus drivers.

JCE

A way to combat this would be to make bus drivers "Special" officers and have them go through LE training and have the authority to "arrest" little Johnny or Suzie if they commit a crime.

I don't foresee that happening.