Varget Alternatives?

Apparently Varget works pretty well in my SCAR 308. I have been using 168 SMK's over 46grs of Varget (loaded just like the recipe on the bottle). I have been loading on a dillon 550. Of course Varget is not so great to charge by volume, but in spite of that, I am getting .75 to 1.25 groups at 100...with which I am thrilled.

So I am wondering if there is a similar powder to Varget that is less costly. Is there a surplus equivilent? I have not experimented much in loading for this gun, the only other powder I've used being 4064, but the varget seems to be working better. 4064 is priced about the same though, so even if it worked better, it doesn't save me any money.

Thoughts?

How well do the alternatives work for a 308 bolt gun? (if you want them all in the same hole at 100 yards?) Just curious.

My rifle loves the Varget but that's all she's tasted; $90 for 8 pounds is tempting with all that ammo it can make.

i will let the folks who have used it awnser that but i have used it for years

dont get me wrong varget is great powder when used in the proper cal.

i just like to save money varget cost 170.00 846 cost 90.00

the lake city plant has loaded millons of rounds with it but as we all know some guns shoot one thing some shoot another

For the money for a .308 846 is hard to beat in my book. I keep a jug of it for my SHTF, I see a little larger group size than with Varget (.4ish vs .7ish); the difference is negligible is real world situations. In fairness to 846 I really never explored many more bullets than the 168's so it may tighten up with other bullet choices... Rifle is Remington 700 SPS Tact. AAC .308

• 1 month later...

I shoot Varget alot and love it, but agree I wish it was cheaper. I also use a lot of David's WC846 (BLC2). In my opinion its great but its no Varget. In my 22-250, 223, and a few others I have got my best groups with Varget. For me it seems to work best in a calibers that are near full when charged, like 223 w around 25gr. The WC846 does work really really well in 223, as does the WC842 I hope to get more of this weekend. But they take up a little less volume and seem to run hotter both in recoil, and temperature. I used the chrony to work up my "bulk" loads with the surplus stuff and I can't complain one bit, but I am certainly am glad I had a chrony. While the surplus powders are "close to" or "similar" other powders with listed load data, they aren't the same and do very lot to lot a little. If you try them, definitely start with a minimum.

All that out of the way...I have used WC846 in 308 w 168 SMK's and had one inch groups no problem. I've actually had good results with 42.5 to 44.5 grains in a bolt gun with a OAL of 2.797". 43.5 gr had the best most consistent velocities at 2766 fps with a variance of no more than 6 fps either way. 42.5 gr shot at about 2700 but the velocities ranged quite a bit by about 30-40 fps, 44.5gr ran at 2800 only varying about 8 fps either way and gave great groups too. Hope this helps some.

Tim

Tim. what kind of rifle are you loading 846 and getting 2766 with 168s? (and barrel length?)

I'll also add that surplus "long range match" (also available from David) is pretty good; I just posted/shared some pics at another thread.

Tim. what kind of rifle are you loading 846 and getting 2766 with 168s? (and barrel length?)

I'll also add that surplus "long range match" (also available from David) is pretty good; I just posted/shared some pics at another thread.

A Savage 12FVSS 26". Yeah I saw that post on the other powder too. Hopefully he will be at the Expo center in the Boro this weekend and I can check it out.

I double checked my range data for the load and here's what i jotted down:

168gr SMK

Measured chamber: 2.801"

Reload length: 2.797

CCI 200 Primer

WC846

New Winchester Case at 2.005"

42.5gr

44.5gr