Load testing & evaluation range; .45-70

I've just reloaded my first ever rounds. I have 2 .45-70 rifles; a Browning high wall & a Marlin 1895.

I've loaded 5 rounds of each powder quantity from minimum to maximum (90 total for each gun), one set of 90 with cast 405gn bullets for the high wall, one with 350gn Hornadys for the Marlin.

I'm shooting both these guns open sighted & I want to try & figure out what particular load each prefers, for best accuracy.

What range would you recommend to test fire each load? Would 50yd groups tell me enough about each 5-shot group, or should I open up to 100?

Neither of these rifles has previously been sighted in properly, so I honestly have no clue where they would print, or even if they'd hit a regular 8x11 printed target. rolleyes.gif

I would start at 50 to get it on paper. It will then be pretty close at 100. I would make up a few rounds for sighting in then go with your other loads. My eyes aren't what they used to be, so shooting irons at 100 wouldn't be the best judge of groups for me. I know my 1895 will shoot honest one inch groups at 100, with a scope. What loads are you shooting?

IMR 4198 in both.

31.5gn to 35gn in 0.5gn increments under cast .458, 405gn bullets for the High Wall (+ 10 rounds with 54gn of Varget under the same bullet)

37.5gn to 41.5gn in 0.5gn increments under 350gn Hornady JSP bullets for the Marlin.

I've used CCI large rifle primers & Winchester brass. All loads have been full-length sized & seated with a roll-crimp. COAL is 2.55"

I'm hoping that there's at least ONE accurate load in there for each gun!

At least I got some measuring/metering practice in! :D

• Like 1

I have found my Marlin to be very forgiving when it comes to reloads. It really likes a hot load of RE7 with the Hornady 350 and it also likes Varget and a 405. It is just easy to load.

The Hodgon site lists IMR4198 loads from 47 to 50gns with the Hornady 350.

350 GR. HDY JRN IMR IMR 4198 .458" 2.540" 47.0 2032 32,500 CUP 50.0 2131 36,600 CUP

Huh. I'm going by the data for the 1895 & 1886 in Lyman's manual, 49th edition.

I think this is the main reason I put off getting into reloading for so long. One set of data completely contradicts another. It's really frikkin' confusing & not a little scary, for beginner like me!