City allows PD to teach conceal carry classes, but no guns, no ammo

As I began reading this article, I thought, cool the city is allowing citizens to take conceal carry classes from the same officers who will be out enforcing those very laws. Citizens will get the expectations straight from the ole horses mouth. They lost my applause as I read on. Apparently, the four hour conceal carry classes will be held without any real guns or ammo. They will use "dummy" guns. Now, it seems to me that's borderline negligent. It's absolutely imperitive people understand the requirements, and I'm sure they can simulate gun safety with dummy guns, but seriously, aren't they concerned they are certifying people who only theoretically know how to handle a lethal weapon. Isn't the part where the instructor observes you handling the live weapon, and shooting the live weapon safely and appropriately kind of important? I presume the lack of live weapons use probably comes down to insurance and liability for the city, but it just seems to me the training will be incomplete. Hopefully, there is more to this story than is

being reported.

http://gazettextra.com/weblogs/latest-news/2012/sep/18/milton-cops-offer-concealed-carry-training-courses/

The entire HCP/CCW class structure is corporate welfare for ranges and instructors... it does little to nothing to make us safer and acts as a road block for otherwise law abiding citizens.

FACT: Citizens who are involved in a deadly justified shooting are 5 times less likely to kill an innocent person than police officers... Citizens at large 2% of the time, Police Officers 11% of the time.

Now why exactly do we need anything more than a $5 written test for an HCP?

• Like 2

FACT: Citizens who are involved in a deadly justified shooting are 5 times less likely to kill an innocent person than police officers... Citizens at large 2% of the time, Police Officers 11% of the time.

That percentage for the police goes up drastically, if the Police Officers in question happen to be New York City's finest!

The entire HCP/CCW class structure is corporate welfare for ranges and instructors... it does little to nothing to make us safer and acts as a road block for otherwise law abiding citizens.

Now why exactly do we need anything more than a $5 written test for an HCP?

Do you have a link to this study?

That would be like getting your lifeguard certification through the state and not actually getting to go in the water.

How stupid!

Or leaving the water out of the pool.

Do you have a link to this study?

http://willcounty.isra.org/forms/GunFacts5-0-screen.pdf

Page 16

Fact: 11% of police shootings kill an innocent person - about 2% of shootings by citizens kill an innocent person

The fact is from a little read study (and hard to find online) by Dave Kopel and Clayton Cramer.

Dave Kopel - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Kopel

Clayton Cramer - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clayton_Cramer

I've read their study, but only have a paper copy or I would post it.