1911 IWB suggestions

Guest Mugster

Guest Mugster

Starting to look around for a 1911 IWB holster. Would need it for a full size 1911. If a sigarms 1911 with the fat slide would fit, that would be a bonus.

I prefer leather but would look at anything. Prefer a retention strap blocking the hammer, but I could probably live without it. Prefer strong side carry. Would like to hear a little something about the difference between tilted forward and vertical holster orientation...what do you prefer and why?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EasilyObsessed

MTAC from Comp-tac. Half kydex and half leather. I would probably stay away from a retention strap on a IWB holster. I would thing that would be overly difficult to deal with with the gun already in your waistband,

Guest Mugster
MTAC from Comp-tac. Half kydex and half leather. I would probably stay away from a retention strap on a IWB holster. I would thing that would be overly difficult to deal with with the gun already in your waistband,

I honestly don't know, I've never tried to lug one around like this. Cutting it off wouldn't take much though, if it proved unmanageable.

Guest sermon8r

the most comfortable IWB ive tried to date.

6'4" 340#

Just my opinion mind you, but a retention strap will get you killed unless you practice alot with it. It's not necessary on most holsters with a tight leather or kydex fit. Unless you really have to worry about exposing your firearm to someone alot,if you're not in law enforcement you shouldn't, a retention strap only hinders your draw. Especially on an IWB holster.

Guest Mugster
Just my opinion mind you, but a retention strap will get you killed unless you practice alot with it. It's not necessary on most holsters with a tight leather or kydex fit. Unless you really have to worry about exposing your firearm to someone alot,if you're not in law enforcement you shouldn't, a retention strap only hinders your draw. Especially on an IWB holster.

Opinion noted. I'm still open to a holster with a strap however. A strapless holster is also on the table. It appears most modern IWB's do not have that option.

I use the alessi pch (milt sparks summer carry) or a milt sparks vm2. If I may also make one recommendation You need to probably contact the manufacturers your interested in becuase I thought I remember reading somewhere that the rail on the sig was different from other railed 1911's(not sure).

Guest grimel

This is what you will really do. If you don't have friends who will let you borrow a holster, you'll buy a half dozen or so before you find the holster that works for YOU. I know a Milt Sparks SS works better for me than the comptec what evers. The Milt Sparks Ex-Companion works well FOR ME. In fact, just about all the Summer Special knock offs work. I'm yet to find an OWB holster that is comfortable.

• Administrator
I believe I'll wind up ordering this one. It's going to be a long wait.

If you can stomach the "convenience fee" you can find them on eBay for about $75-100 over retail cost with immediate shipping. Or you may luck into one if you watch the For Sale areas on big forums like Glocktalk, 1911.org, etc.