S.S. Media

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I already had the tumbler from some kids' rock polishing projects. Bought the large drum for the tumbler and the SS media and am very happy with the results. Going on memory here but I believe I get 3-400 9mm or 150-200 .223 in the tumbler at a time. I basically fill it a bit above halfway with brass and media, then a tablespoon or so of lemi-shine (cheap from walmart) and about two tablespoons of dawn and fill 3/4 with water. Tumble for a few hours and brass is very clean.

I personally prefer depriming before tumbling and thus the primer pockets get cleaned as well. When done there is virtually no evidence of any powder or primer residue inside or out.

I would say there is more effort involved than dry tumbling since the brass comes out wet and needs to be rinsed and dried. But on the plus side it is quick to tumble and the media is near endlessly reusable. To dry I spread the brass out on plastic trays similar to cookie sheets and point a box fan at them to keep the air moving.

I posted this a while back; here are some pics of my set up. This is 900 9mm cases.

I got most of my build ideas from ARFCOM. Not counting the cost of the treadmill, I was only into the project for the cost of the PVC, rubber gasket, and some scrap lumber.

I did buy some walnut shell media to try out and thought it was dusty; i do use it from time to time though. I figured puring some dirty water down the drain and laying out the brass to dry was a better way to go, at least for me.

th_DSCN0834.jpg

th_DSCN0829.jpg

th_DSCN0826.jpg

th_DSCN0831.jpg

th_DSCN0835.jpg

th_DSCN0836.jpg

th_DSCN0841.jpg

th_DSCN0840.jpg

th_DSCN0837.jpg

Thanks seawash. May I ask what the roller is?? Or what was it? What is the length of the pipe? 6" PVC? How many lbs of SS media do you add? Sorry for the question, but I have an old treadmill and think I might go your way.. I have a bunch of brass that needs cleaning and if I can do a 1000 at a time will be very helpful, might even get done before spring.

Thanks

Guest BungieCord

I use a Thumler Model B HD, which I bought from Buffalo Arms, which just about always has the best price on the Thumlers. Right now, they have the regular Model B for $172 and the HD for $180. According to Thumler, the regular spins @30 rpms and the HD @50. My HD spins @45 rpms (empty, hand-timed) so either I got a bit of a dud or they're overstating its specs. Either way, the extra $8 gets you 50% more speed, which means 50% faster cleaning, compared to the "regular" Model B.

I use 5# of media, regardless of what I'm cleaning, lemi-shine and whatever liquid dishwashing detergent is under the kitchen sink. When I'm done, the media gets rinsed until the water runs clear, then goes back into a tupperware container with the lid off until it sir dries. It spends so much time sopping wet I'm amazed it's never rusted, but it hasn't.

I once cleaned two batches of brass without changing the water, just as an experiment. The second batch was 5.56 range brass, most of which had been in the weather for a couple of years (at least), and a lot of which was turning green. The water was as black as strong coffee but the second batch came out spotlessly clean, right down to the primer pockets, but it was dull. The stuff ordinarily comes out glittering like fresh-minted gold coins.

Instead of a media separator, I just reach down into the drum, grab a few rounds, all turned with the mouth down, and shake with the brass still underwater. The media always all comes out, even with casing necks as small as .204R.

I didn't look up a "best price" on all their pieces parts but $10/lb is a bit steep for SS media. Not outrageous, but a little high.

Best to get a REALLY strong magnet, too to help with cleaning up small spills.

Thanks seawash. May I ask what the roller is?? Or what was it? What is the length of the pipe? 6" PVC? How many lbs of SS media do you add? Sorry for the question, but I have an old treadmill and think I might go your way.. I have a bunch of brass that needs cleaning and if I can do a 1000 at a time will be very helpful, might even get done before spring.

Thanks

Sorry forr the late reply.

The roller came off of the treadmill. It had a bad bearing and I replaced the back roller a couple of years ago and kept the old roller around; I knew I would have a use for it. The center rod has a threaded hole thru it on each end, so that's what the bolts in the brackets are for, I use them to true up the pvc drum with the belt. The brackets are those hurricane/2x4 tie down strap things you get at home depot or lowes; these were less than a buck a piece or so.

It's 6 in PVC and 19 inches long; it gives me a little over 2 gallons (vol = "pi" x "radius squared" x "hieght"). That run was 10 lbs of SS media and a little over 900 cases (9mm). It wieghs quite a bit when loaded up, but not close to what I weigh and the treadmill can handle me. You can set the speed and forget it.

If you really want to give your Br-ass a work out, you can even set the incline higher. LOL

Good luck