S&W carry holster

Guest Major Pain

Guest Major Pain

What do you consider the best side carry holster for a Smith mod 642 snub? I usually carry in my pocket but would like a holster so I would have an option. Do not want to carry in small of back. I haven't tried inside waist band seems they would be uncomfortable. Want something that doesn't print to bad.--------Mike

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest I_AM_WOOD

I have a cheapo uncle mikes that slips in the waistband that works great, leaves just the grip out right above the belt and doesn't print even with a tee shirt.

Guest Major Pain

Thanks I am Wood. I guess I'll get the bike out this weekend and cruise 2 or 3 gun shops and see what they have. Have to save a little gas you know.lol I thought inside the waistband would print the least but didn't know how comfortable they were.----Mike

Guest Major Pain

Thanks for the advise. I guess I'll just have to try a few and see how they feel. I have tried a cheap holster outside the belt but it rode a little low and prints kinda bad. I want a inside waistband holster but not sure ole love handles want that.-----Mike :D

Guest gunslinger707

I carry my Taurus snubbie in a Bianchi high rise pancake OWB conceal's really well under a loose shirt .

Guest darkstar

you could try a Bianchi model 105, pretty sure they make that for a J frame. It's a minimalist "slide" style holster. There is a small rubber ring you can use for retention, or you can choose not to use it.

Guest Major Pain

Thanks for the info. My shooting buddy said a holster was like a pair of shoes and just had to try them on. Have been looking on different sights and its kinda like being in a candy store, guess I'll just have to go and taste.----Mike

Guest Major Pain

Just back from local gun store and got a Forbus paddle. Thanks gunsablazin. Tried 3 or 4 different styles and liked it the best.---Mike :death:

Guest J.D.D

I see you have already purchased a holster so i will post my best holster for my S&W 360 with a 1.50 in. barrell is a Milt Sparks OWB.

One of the best holsters i have ever had. They are expensive but for a carry gun that i plan to have forever i want nothing but the best. When i have it on you can,t see it at all.

Guest Major Pain

Well I can't say I'm pleased with the Forbus holster. It carries good and is very comfortable but the release is to tight. On your belt you can draw the gun but is very hard and makes a loud noise. Off your belt it is extremely hard to get out of holster to clean or whatever. I wonder if a person could use a dremel tool and smooth down the inside where it locks? Has anyone else had this problem? I've been using it last 2 days and have taken it out of the holster several times to see if it will loosen up, but so far no luck.--------Mike

Guest J.D.D

Found this on a web site ! Don,t remember which one.

Tightness in a new holster is not uncommon and is much preferable to the alternative. If the draw is a little stiff at first, it is recommended that you work with it to see if it doesn't loosen up with a bit of use. About 25 to 50 presentations should be a good indicator of whether the holster will break in sufficiently on its own or if maybe a little blocking out of the leather is in order. There are many variables as to why a holster would be excessively tight ranging from the texture of your guns finish, to slight changes in climate or humidity from where the holster is made. Regardless of the reason, a too tight holster can easily be remedied by the end user with a method we have been recommending to customers for over 20 years.

To block out (stretch) your new holster first UNLOAD your pistol or revolver and place the gun into the 4 mil plastic bag that your new holster was packaged in. Then carefully insert the bagged gun all the way into the holster (do not! I repeat, do not!! wet or spray the holster with any solution to aid in the stretching process). The blocking out process as described above will in no way harm the crisp detailed molding of your new holster, nor will it ruin its retention qualities. It serves simply to stretch the leather a few thousands of an inch larger than the gun. The amount of stretching time needed for satisfactory results range from a just a few minutes to overnight.

Edited by J.D.D
Guest Major Pain

I have used that method in the past and it worked quiet well. The problem is the Forbus holster is a polymer or some kind of plastic. When you slip it in it clicks into place the last 1/2". The best I can tell it slips in a grove behind the trigger guard and locks. I was thinking a little light grinding with a dremel tool might loosen it up. The guy at the gun shop said those holsters are usually tight and should loosen up but as it is now I would not want to trust my life with it. Thanks for the help and any other ideas you can come up with.

here's another vote for the Fobus Paddle if you want something outside the belt. for inside the waistband, i have a Bianchi Professional Model 100 leather holster that is just awesome, it just leaves the grip above the belt line and is very comfortable. i've tried the uncle mikes cheapo's but they move around to much for me. the most important thing is to use a good leather belt...it will make about any holster better...