got my first Mosin Nagant!

Guest rebeldrummer
Looks good. I'm a fan of the brass caps myself.
Next you will want a hex....
Then a red letter
Than an ex sniper
Then a Finnish capture
Then a double date....triple date
Then a ministry of defense marked one
Then a 5 line Tula
Then a Spanish civil war
Then a Westinghouse
Then a Remington
Then a Sestro
Then...the earliest date you can find

Or, at least that's how I went about it!!! Ha ha ha....
It's an addiction really....just accept it early on and you will be fine
There's a thread on here I made about the many different ways to rid your self of cosmoline that may help you out.
My favorite way is to soak all the metal with mineral spirits in a long shallow tub for a few hours, the longer the better. Then when most of it has dissolved int he spirits hang it up and blast away with a steamer. I've got one of those Shark steamers that does a good job of getting all the nooks and crannys clean. Lightly oil the metal and reassemble. Don't forget to strip the bolt down and clean it inside and out, a lot of crud is hidden in there.

While its still apart it also wouldn't hurt to chuck a shotgun brass brash into your drill and go to town on you chamber, a lot of what looks like melted enamel may start coming out witch if left in can heat up and make the bolt hard operate.

For the stock I use a heat gun to get it hot then wipe with naphtha repeating the process a few times after the naphtha evaporates. Be careful with the heat gun because it can ruin the finish if your not. Be especially mindfull around the naphtha as it is lighter fluid.
Finish it up with a little Murphy's oil soap mixed to recommended dilution and applied with a kitchen scrubby thing, scouring pad I guess.

That seems to get all that can be gotten I think. Some people have easier methods but I like doing it that way, it seems very thorough and will give you a good look at what you got.

P.S your but plate maybe painted black, so you may not want to put that in the mineral spirits but instead just wipe down with the naphtha.
Haven't tried the simple green yet but I did buy four bottles of my favorite degreasing all purpose cleaner to see if works for next time.

I left all the mosin paraphernalia in the bag it came in. I don't see myself using it anytime soon and my shelf space is already crammed with stuff so I've got three bags of the stuff stuffed away in a closet to keep like new in case I sell it.

Maybe I'll go try to clean some of it up for ships and giggles.
[quote name='TrickyNicky' timestamp='1352525100' post='842960']
Haven't tried the simple green yet but I did buy four bottles of my favorite degreasing all purpose cleaner to see if works for next time.

I left all the mosin paraphernalia in the bag it came in. I don't see myself using it anytime soon and my shelf space is already crammed with stuff so I've got three bags of the stuff stuffed away in a closet to keep like new in case I sell it.

Maybe I'll go try to clean some of it up for ships and giggles.
[/quote]let us know how it turns out if you do!
Just did. A little bit of all purpose degreaser and warm water took care of the oil can no problem. For the ammo pouch since it was leather I sprayed a little balistol which a CLP like product on and wiped it off. The sling and ammo pouch were pretty clean already though so all it really did was shine them up.

I have no doubt at al that the degreaser would have worked well on the pouch had it needed it.

The stuff I used FYI is called LAs Totally Awesome and can be found at dollar stores, a little goes a long way when mixes with water at a 2 part water 1 part cleaner ratio.

[IMG]http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w408/TrickyNickyII/99FA39E1-CE84-45CA-B8CF-58DAAC93CEA0-635-00000751DF342F61.jpg[/IMG] Edited by TrickyNicky
[quote name='TrickyNicky' timestamp='1352527011' post='842968']
Just did. A little bit of all purpose degreaser and warm water took care of the oil can no problem. For the ammo pouch since it was leather I sprayed a little balistol which a CLP like product on and wiped it off. The sling and ammo pouch were pretty clean already though so all it really did was shine them up.

I have no doubt at al that the degreaser would have worked well on the pouch had it needed it.

The stuff I used FYI is called LAs Totally Awesome and can be found at dollar stores, a little goes a long way when mixes with water at a 2 part water 1 part cleaner ratio.

[img]http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w408/TrickyNickyII/99FA39E1-CE84-45CA-B8CF-58DAAC93CEA0-635-00000751DF342F61.jpg[/img]
[/quote]very nicely done! i will try the simple green and see how it goes! forgot to add that the only thing that i will have a hard time cleaning and worried about is the stock itself Edited by luke9511