Royal Blue Shooting Range

Guest seawolf138

Guest seawolf138
Went out here with a friend today, he said I need a WMA or Hunting Permit to shoot there, which he had, and supposedly covered me. I would like to be able to go out there more often so spent a lot of time reading over the several rules boards that were there to see if I could find out what I needed to go back out, and couldn't see anything about a WMA or Hunting Permit. Does anyone here know what may or may not be needed to shoot over there?
[quote name='seawolf138' timestamp='1352854531' post='845115']Went out here with a friend today, he said I need a WMA or Hunting Permit to shoot there, which he had, and supposedly covered me. I would like to be able to go out there more often so spent a lot of time reading over the several rules boards that were there to see if I could find out what I needed to go back out, and couldn't see anything about a WMA or Hunting Permit. Does anyone here know what may or may not be needed to shoot over there?[/quote]

None of the above. There are "permit required" signs posted along Flatwoods road. Four-wheeling, hiking or horseback riding in the area requires either the land use permit or hunting +wma permit.

Driving along Flatwoods road with the intent of getting to and from the shooting range does *not* require any permits. I spent two days playing phone tag with TWRA to confirm this about a year ago. I also ran it by the local FFL/license dealer and they were told the same thing.

I have the aforementioned hunting license/wma add-on, but that's because I like to explore the trails up there in my Jeep.

Stick to the route going to/from the range and you're good with no permits.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Guest seawolf138
I did today...and will continue, rangers were there complaining about the mess when we got there this afternoon...pumpkins all over the place, along with various other garbage...apparently the 100-150 yard range was even worse...basketballs and the like that people were using. Its the first time I've been up there, but I don't wanna see it close because people can't clean up after themselves.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

[quote name='seawolf138' timestamp='1352867468' post='845294']
I did today...and will continue, rangers were there complaining about the mess when we got there this afternoon...pumpkins all over the place, along with various other garbage...apparently the 100-150 yard range was even worse...basketballs and the like that people were using. Its the first time I've been up there, but I don't wanna see it close because people can't clean up after themselves.
[/quote]

Thanks.

I have literally hauled out trailer loads of other retard's crap in the last year (and I am not TWRA). More than once I have left all three ranges *pristine* .

I truly don't understand the slobs. I have utter contempt for them.
Guest seawolf138
I did get somewhat confused though when the rangers told me they were tired of the mess up there and were taking the garbage cans away. I'm not justifying slobs by any means...but if you can't get people to pick up their mess when there is are garbage cans close by, how can you expect it to get better by removing them?

On a slightly related matter, I'm sure a google search can answer this, but if I get a WMA permit, do the proceeds from that go to the rangers and everyone else up there? I will gladly go get one even though I don't need to if it will help keep that range open.

[quote name='seawolf138' timestamp='1352873401' post='845326']I did get somewhat confused though when the rangers told me they were tired of the mess up there and were taking the garbage cans away. I'm not justifying slobs by any means...but if you can't get people to pick up their mess when there is are garbage cans close by, how can you expect it to get better by removing them?

On a slightly related matter, I'm sure a google search can answer this, but if I get a WMA permit, do the proceeds from that go to the rangers and everyone else up there? I will gladly go get one even though I don't need to if it will help keep that range open.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2[/quote]

Yes, those funds go 100% to TWRA. As does $0.10 of every box of ammo you buy here in Tennessee (the ammo tax).

Speaking of Royal Blue and the range. Is there a place near there to shoot a bow? My son is wanting to pick up some form of archery but I have no idea where I'd take him to shoot it.

[quote name='jcj' timestamp='1353788593' post='850137']
Just got back from Royal Blue. They took away the trash cans on the 50yd range. Oddly enough the range was cleaner than it has been in all my recent trips up there.
[/quote]

Did you check for same at the other two ranges ?
[quote name='R_Bert' timestamp='1353797822' post='850168']

Did you check for same at the other two ranges ?[/quote]

Never made it up to the other ranges today. I meant to go up there and look as I was leaving, but I forgot.