ATF Phone number

Guest Ditchdigger

Guest Ditchdigger

Whitch phone number do you call with questions about form 4. Mailed mine on 11-30-12, checked with the bank again this evening, still hasn't made it through. It's not looking good  for a "quick" turn around. I am wanting to start anouther one for a 22 can also. Thanks Jody

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you'll see that quick turn around when you see Bigfoot riding on a Unicorn ;o) ... don't mean to bust your chops... given the holidays I'd wait another week or so... they very seldom lose anything until after the check clears...  just try to get it out of your head and forget about it.  We're waiting 2-3 months on dealer to dealer transfers now.

But, if you really want to call... # (304) 616-4500

Good luck

Guest Ditchdigger

Thanks Micheal, I'll put it in my phone and give it a try today.I've already been through the transfer wait. Checking on NFA tracker, looked like most checks cleared in a week or less.

I will say you are probably a little premature to expect your check to get cashed. And they likely will not have any information for you if it hasn't. I know when I called BEFORE the check cashed they said they had no record of me. And when the check cashed it took close to a month for me to show up as pending in the system. This was back when things went quickly.

Here was my timeline last year:

1. NFA Item: Suppressor
2. Form Type: Form 1
3. Transferee Type: Individual
4. Forms Sent: 1 April 2011
5. Delivered: 5 April 2011
6. Personal Check Cashed: 12 April 2011
7. Pending Date: 9 May 2011
8. Approved Date: 1 July 2011
9. Forms Received: ???
10. Examiner: Suzanne Santa Maria

Here is a pretty good thread for judging wait times:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/295509_New_NFA_Timelines_thread__post_Nov__5__2009.html&page=102

Dolomite

Guest Ditchdigger

Dolomite, If it wasn't for the internet, and all these gun forums we have to check at 5 in the morning, I probably wouldn't have even thought about buying something as "illeagle" as a suppressor anyway. I don't post much on here, spend most of my time just reading the good stuff you and the other regulars post up. Thanks to all of you. Dang guess I'll be late again this morning.

My latest Form 4 submission was received by the ATF on 30 November.  Payment cleared bank on 4 December.  ATF is now processing checks as ACH payments.  According to my bank, I will never see my cancelled check.  Payment showed on my bank statement as "ATF NFA Payment.  Check your statement.

My latest Form 4 submission was received by the ATF on 30 November.  Payment cleared bank on 4 December.  ATF is now processing checks as ACH payments.  According to my bank, I will never see my cancelled check.  Payment showed on my bank statement as "ATF NFA Payment.  Check your statement.

That is a great sign that they are looking at ways to speed the process up some.

Ideally I would like to see a electronic background check system like they do for firearms. Your first one takes forever as usual then afterwards you can be verified electronically and walk out with your NFA item. We have the technology to make it happen it is just the federal government doesn't see it being profitable under the current system. Have your dealer fill out the paperwork electronically and take a current picture to attach to the file. Upload everything then the name and SSN gets bounced off of all the databases they ALREADY have and use. If nothing needs more investigating then you get the all clear, your dealer prints off your approved form and you walk out with your NFA item.

This would eliminate 99.9% of the labor intensive searchs the ATF agents are currently doing for ALL the applicants. This would free them up for those that need more investigating. But more importantly it would let 1,000's of dealers do the labor intensive part of the background check rather than the agents themselves. 9 out of 10 people I have talked to said they want an NFA item but don't do it because of the wait.

Imagine being able to buy and use your item the same day. Or better yet remove silencers from the registry all together. Countries around the world that have strong gun laws all allow silencers without the need to register them. I guess they figure the silencer is harmless without the gun.

Dolomite